Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what shocks would you recommend for my 09 crew? Truck is currently stock but going to larger tires and wheels at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Bilstein 5100/5125
Fronts are adjustable, rear are bought for the lift you plan to install.
Bils 5100s are valved slightly firmer than stock, so theres less body roll during emergency lane change.

Nisstec and PRG can send you a set prebuilt with new springs. With 10 yrs on, I'd replace the coils. Its cheap insurance.
While you're at it, the rear is likely sagged too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not planning a lift.

Bilstein 5100/5125
Fronts are adjustable, rear are bought for the lift you plan to install.
Bils 5100s are valved slightly firmer than stock, so theres less body roll during emergency lane change.

Nisstec and PRG can send you a set prebuilt with new springs. With 10 yrs on, I'd replace the coils. Its cheap insurance.
While you're at it, the rear is likely sagged too.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Just get Bilstein 5100's at stock length and call it a day.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Because they're yellow. LOL

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
If no lift then get the 4600. They are the same as 5100 but without the extra snap ring grooves for lift.

Depends on what you are comparing them to. I found that the 5100 are slightly softer than the nismo/pro4x "yellow" shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
If no lift then get the 4600. They are the same as 5100 but without the extra snap ring grooves for lift.

Depends on what you are comparing them to. I found that the 5100 are slightly softer than the nismo/pro4x "yellow" shocks.
Last i spoke with a Bils rep, they said the 4600 & 5100 are valved slightly different.
My personal comparison is on my X, back to back.
Granted the yellows had 40k on them, but if they were end-of-life at 40, then they're not worth getting (and i doubt that).

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
why not 4600?
As much as folk say they're not going to lift, invariably they change their minds and go for leveling to an inch. Doesn't require much hardware (different notch for the front and an adjustable shackle for the rear) and it looks better.
The 5100 accomodates stock, leveling, up to 1.5 inches.
4600 are fully stock and not a bad item, just

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Last i spoke with a Bils rep, they said the 4600 & 5100 are valved slightly different.
My personal comparison is on my X, back to back.
Granted the yellows had 40k on them, but if they were end-of-life at 40, then they're not worth getting (and i doubt that).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reviews I'm finding online, the 4600s seem to be liked much more than the 5100s.

And I could always paint the 4600s red....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Four Bilstein 4600s come out to only a little more, $320 but they don't include new springs. Be like another $68 to add new springs.

From everything I'm reading I'm shocked (pun intended) my shocks have lasted 110k miles with no problems other than the dust boots deteriorating.

I just did this. Didn't want to spend a lot of money.
Used KYB 345067 Excel-G Gas Shock, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WEB0LY on the rear for 43.30 each. total $86.60
Use TRQ Loaded Quick Complete Strut Spring Mount Assembly Pair 2pc Front for Frontier, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748M9WJM, $178.95.

Total Cost 265.55.

Reminds me of new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Four Bilstein 4600s come out to only a little more, $320 but they don't include new springs. Be like another $68 to add new springs.

From everything I'm reading I'm shocked (pun intended) my shocks have lasted 110k miles with no problems other than the dust boots deteriorating.
I went on the originals to 130k. But it ride so much nicer now than it did. So I'm sure it was past time.

Yes it's only $55 more for the Bilsteins w/out the springs, brackets and front-spring rubber seat, 54034-EA00A. Plus the labor of taking off the spring and putting it all back together, 1-2 hours. So my guess is that if you need new bracket that's another $30 (they were reusable) and new rubber is probably another $40 and the springs are another $120 making it about another $200 after you pay the tax. The ride height of the truck is higher with the new springs which was a surprise.

You get all of this when you buy a quick load ready to install.
1570743937733.png

I wouldn't do this job after 100k without new springs. I certainly wouldn't do it without new new rubber seats.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're wearing me down.... ;-)

I went on the originals to 130k. But it ride so much nicer now than it did. So I'm sure it was past time.

Yes it's only $55 more for the Bilsteins w/out the springs, brackets and front-spring rubber seat, 54034-EA00A. Plus the labor of taking off the spring and putting it all back together, 1-2 hours. So my guess is that if you need new bracket that's another $30 (they were reusable) and new rubber is probably another $40 and the springs are another $120 making it about another $200 after you pay the tax. The ride height of the truck is higher with the new springs which was a surprise.

You get all of this when you buy a quick load ready to install.
View attachment 309519
I wouldn't do this job after 100k without new springs. I certainly wouldn't do it without new new rubber seats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're wearing me down.... ;-)
I did the math when i was working on the truck. Same math a lot of people are doing when they approach this.

Also doing all 4 struts on a Lexus RX 350 this weekend. Doing quick loads on it as well. Unless you have a really good spring compressor it's way easier to not mess with springs. That stored potential energy can be a real life changer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found these "TRQ Loaded Quick Complete Strut Spring Mount Assembly Pair 2pc Front for Frontier, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748M9WJM, $178.95 " for $155 for the pair on eBay. (No longer in stock at your link on Amazon.) Haven't found the KYB rear shocks for anything close to your price yet. Cheapest is around $55 each.

I did the math when i was working on the truck. Same math a lot of people are doing when they approach this.

Also doing all 4 struts on a Lexus RX 350 this weekend. Doing quick loads on it as well. Unless you have a really good spring compressor it's way easier to not mess with springs. That stored potential energy can be a real life changer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found these "TRQ Loaded Quick Complete Strut Spring Mount Assembly Pair 2pc Front for Frontier, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748M9WJM, $178.95 " for $155 for the pair on eBay. (No longer in stock at your link on Amazon.) Haven't found the KYB rear shocks for anything close to your price yet. Cheapest is around $55 each.
You did really well. I didn't shop all that hard because I had the truck apart when I ordered them and needed to get back on the road as quickly as possible.

Try this, shows in stock, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WEB0LY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forgot to ask. Did you check the hubs? That's what got me going was the front hubs were making a lot of noise. I got Detroit Axle 4 pack hubs for like $170, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ5X97T. At 90k miles had a bad ball joint so just did the whole front end as there was some wear on the others and it's at least $75 every time you get a front end alignment. Detroit Axle has complete control arms at prices that are hard to beat, I didn't use them when I did mine, used duralast.

Remember if you manage to get the bottom bolt out of the front strut to put a lot of anti seize on it when you put it back together. Same with rear shock bolts.

Hoping to get to 200k miles before I give up on this truck. Serpentine belt and heated wipers are next.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts