Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked a up black 09 pro 4x. It has 65k on it..I'm wondering what fluids I should change. The manual says to change the transmission and coolant fluid. As well as other things. What do you guys recommend?

It's stock right now but will likely be adding a min lift kit. Some Hancook dynapro (or a similar tire). Also a bed cover and some rain guards mostly for looks. The dealer put brand new tires on the truck but there basically highway tires. Very smooth ride but also very plain looking. I believe there crosswind eco touring tires.

Anyway any suggestions would help..thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I'm surprised it said to change the coolant. Nissan usually recommends replacing their green coolant at 90,000 miles and then every 60,000 miles thereafter. Do you have an automatic transmission or manual? If it's automatic, then you need to see if you have the original radiator or not due to the cooler failure issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an auto and yes the radiator is original. I will replace it with an aftermarket one eventually. Not a fan of the bypass method without adding an addiction radiator..at that point mine as well just replace the whole thing and not worry.

·
Super Moderator
10,393 Posts
If you're not sure of fluid age then do both differentials, trans and transfer case.
You may as a precautionary measure want to replace the radiator if auto trans to remove the possibility of an internal trans cooler failure, read up if you're not familiar with this issue.
Anti freeze I feel is based on time too as some take way longer to reach the recommended mileage and may degrade with time.
Air filter, interior cabin filter should be looked at too.
Take care of the truck and you'll get many miles out of it.
Look at your rear rotors through your wheels and see if there is any wet oil on the outer edge as many of us had the axel seals leak and it in turns makes the parking brake not hold the truck either as well as fun low and possibly harm the rear.
Good luck and enjoy the truck, welcome to this forum.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Well, if you are not replacing it now, it would be a good idea to do the bypass in the meantime. There is enough cooling provided by the factory auxiliary trans cooler for it not to be a concern unless you are doing some heavy duty towing. Obviously, when you replace the radiator, it makes the best sense to replace the coolant at that time. A lot of people go with the Spectra Premium for the plastic tank replacement, usually available for around $100-120, or upgrade to the $350 all-aluminum radiator from Stillen Motorsports.
The transmission fluid is synthetic and Nissan doesn't provide a service replacement interval, only a "inspect @ 15,000 miles" recommendation. I usually do a drain and fill every 50,000 miles using Valvoline Maxlife ATF; I also service my transfer case at the same time, using the Valvoline Maxlife in there, as well.
I use full-synthetic 75W90 gear oil in the front and rear diffs, usually Mobil One or SuperTech. You'll want to pick up a transfer pump to do the diffs and transfer case, if you don't have one already, like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arnold-Siphon-Pump/3142667?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-OutdoorPowerEquipment-_-Lubricants-_-3142667:Arnold&CAWELAID=&kpid=3142667&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2810&k_clickID=7015e559-5f3c-4759-91a9-6824241d9f7b

The diff plugs and transfer case have crush washers that should be replaced when servicing: Nissan P/N: 11026-4N200
The transmission oil pan and engine oil pan both use these crush washers: Nissan P/N: 11026-01M02

·
Super Moderator
10,393 Posts
Have you ever seen the suction gun at harbor freight? It looks like the body on a grease gun with a plastic tube on one end and a t handle on the other. Each pull will suck up between 17-18 ounces and then push it to dispense same contents. When changing gear oil in my last trucks differentials and manual trans I used the drain bolt and then messed how much came out and then putting replacement fluid right back in. You can get a 128 ounce graduated pitcher at a fertilizer store for about $15. Use it once and you see how fast you can fill an empty cavity. Makes life simple.
One thing to point out, always remove the fill plug first because if you drain the component but can't get the fill plug out you're in a bad place.

Clint

·
Registered
485 Posts
Don't forget the brake fluid. Change both the fluid in the reservoir and the lines going to the wheel cylinders. Also time to change the power steering fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts