Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, I have a 2019 manual transmission Pro 4X. The clutch went out in less than 2200 miles. When you would shift in any gear and let the clutch out fully, the RPMs would over rev when throttle was applied then drop and grab in any gear. Like the clutch was slipping and heating up until surface friction allowed it to grab. While waiting for my appt day to arrive, it finally would not move it 1st gear. So off it went to the dealership on a rollback.

Warranty covered the replacement however there is no 'smoking gun' as to what caused it. Their response is that it appeared as if someone has just learned to drive a manual. While I find this humorous I also find it irritating. I have only ever owned and driven manuals for 30 years now. Never had a clutch issue. I do not ride the clutch pedal ever.
They changed the most items around the clutch, ie.. flywheel, pressure plate, etc. I do not believe the master or slave cylinder was changed. The clutch engagement point was right at the top of travel. I have heard that should not matter but I have never owned a vehicle where the clutch was like that. I am an electro-mechanical tech and work in industry, I know that it treating the effect never eliminates the cause. I feel like that is what is happening here unless I can isolate the problem.

To add to all this, cruise control would no stay engaged in any gear, the slightest hill and it dropped out. Of course the service manager says this is something separate entirely. I am inclined to think the clutch issue was affecting cruise logic as well.

Has anyone here ever had something like this happen before on a new Frontier?

I have to make the trip to pick it up this evening and I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it.

Your input is appreciated,

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Fair chance your truck left the factory not adjusted correctly or a faulty clutch to begin with.

The CC will cut off if it detects wheel slippage, so there is a fair change the computer was interpreting the clutch slip as similar. I've had mine click off on a giant pot hole or large expansion joint in the road where I assume a tire came off the ground for a second, So, I'd say it was related.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Something seems wrong. Good think for factory warranties. Mine has 102K not so friendly miles on it right now, and it is still grabbing. Maybe the engagement point was not set properly and it was actually slipping this entire time to a point where it cooked off the clutch material.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
For a vehicle to have a clutch infant mortality event is highly irregular. Clutch components are very robust and can take a lot of abuse. I don't think I can burn mine out in 2,200 miles even if I tried. Be happy it died early for Nissan's warranty for the clutch is very short.

Make sure you keep accurate records on all your repairs. Sad to say, your truck may be mayonnaise meaning it has some lemon juice in it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hate to hear this. With the stupid issues my 2018 is having, and reading on here... not to mention the 2019 Titan loaner I’m driving has issues.... brand new too. Radio cuts off and restarts all the time and has the gas burp issue not covered by the tsb. Spits gas everywhere, everytime you fill up.

I don’t think I’ll own anymore nissans after I can break even on trade with my frontier. I’ve always loved the frontier, and it’s the best bang for your buck,but I should have just got a Tacoma with a few more miles on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just picked up the truck, grab point on the pedal is about 1/3 to 1/2 out compared to before being whole way at the top. Obviously was the issue with my cruise control as now it'll stay in cruise even going up a steep incline at highway speeds. Service notes state the problem was clutch pads disintegrated and that I would have to cover the next clutch if there was a problem. Hinting to that I was a culprit behind it. Sometimes service apartments are a pain in the butt. Kind of funny how you can mention stuff to them and they blow you off like you don't know what you're talkin about. Schedule you for an appointment 3 weeks after you made your call about the problem. Then insist that you are the problem. SMH :rolleyes:. They replace the flywheel, clutch assembly, throwout bearing, etc. Meanwhile I have to retrain my brain and foot as to where the new grab point is now.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
Chit happens...glad you're back on the road and warranty covered it. Service departments simply hedge their bets when it comes to logic.
56k here on my 6-sp work truck...still going strong. ><knocking on wood><

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just picked up the truck, grab point on the pedal is about 1/3 to 1/2 out compared to before being whole way at the top. Obviously was the issue with my cruise control as now it'll stay in cruise even going up a steep incline at highway speeds. Service notes state the problem was clutch pads disintegrated and that I would have to cover the next clutch if there was a problem. Hinting to that I was a culprit behind it. Sometimes service apartments are a pain in the butt. Kind of funny how you can mention stuff to them and they blow you off like you don't know what you're talkin about. Schedule you for an appointment 3 weeks after you made your call about the problem. Then insist that you are the problem. SMH :rolleyes:. They replace the flywheel, clutch assembly, throwout bearing, etc. Meanwhile I have to retrain my brain and foot as to where the new grab point is now.
It looks to me like the clutch was misadjusted from the factory. I haven't looked at specs for manual Frontier, but usually there is a minimum free play at the top of the travel. The clutch grabbing at the very top of the pedal's travel is not right and was likely the cause of the premature wear.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Should be at least an inch of free play at the top of the pedal travel.
Misadjusted or bad components or bad assembly from the factory.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Unfortunately there's plenty of dishonest people in the world who ruin things for the rest of us.

My truck is going on a decade with 70k on it, plenty of towing, hauling & offroad fun. The clutch has given me no trouble, solid truck all around really.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Unfortunately there's plenty of dishonest people in the world who ruin things for the rest of us.

My truck is going on a decade with 70k on it, plenty of towing, hauling & offroad fun. The clutch has given me no trouble, solid truck all around really.
Same here. 102K and counting. Clutch still feels good. Though in the back of my mind I keep thinking that it could go any day. And i am told that from the first sign of slippage to total failure is a VERY short time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Same here. 102K and counting. Clutch still feels good. Though in the back of my mind I keep thinking that it could go any day. And i am told that from the first sign of slippage to total failure is a VERY short time.

I've heard the same about the quick failure when it's worn. For what it's worth my engagement point is always near the top with the exception of the first few shifts in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My clutch gave out at 96k miles which I thought was early. In all my earlier clutch type vehicles, I exceeded 130k easily. The failure is very obvious: truck in 6th gear; floor it; if rpms go up but not speed, you have slippage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day, I have a 2019 manual transmission Pro 4X. The clutch went out in less than 2200 miles. When you would shift in any gear and let the clutch out fully, the RPMs would over rev when throttle was applied then drop and grab in any gear. Like the clutch was slipping and heating up until surface friction allowed it to grab. While waiting for my appt day to arrive, it finally would not move it 1st gear. So off it went to the dealership on a rollback.

Warranty covered the replacement however there is no 'smoking gun' as to what caused it. Their response is that it appeared as if someone has just learned to drive a manual. While I find this humorous I also find it irritating. I have only ever owned and driven manuals for 30 years now. Never had a clutch issue. I do not ride the clutch pedal ever.
They changed the most items around the clutch, ie.. flywheel, pressure plate, etc. I do not believe the master or slave cylinder was changed. The clutch engagement point was right at the top of travel. I have heard that should not matter but I have never owned a vehicle where the clutch was like that. I am an electro-mechanical tech and work in industry, I know that it treating the effect never eliminates the cause. I feel like that is what is happening here unless I can isolate the problem.

To add to all this, cruise control would no stay engaged in any gear, the slightest hill and it dropped out. Of course the service manager says this is something separate entirely. I am inclined to think the clutch issue was affecting cruise logic as well.

Has anyone here ever had something like this happen before on a new Frontier?

I have to make the trip to pick it up this evening and I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it.

Your input is appreciated,

Pete
I've had a similar issue, bought my 2019 frontier manual in April, less than 3k miles and the clutch suddenly burned out last week. Dealer claimed it was wear and not covered, so now I'm escalating to Nissan.

I don't have OP's technical know how though so the exact cause is a mystery to me, seemed to be driving fine otherwise.

Maybe the guys at the factory forgot how to make manuals? Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had a similar issue, bought my 2019 frontier manual in April, less than 3k miles and the clutch suddenly burned out last week. Dealer claimed it was wear and not covered, so now I'm escalating to Nissan.

I don't have OP's technical know how though so the exact cause is a mystery to me, seemed to be driving fine otherwise.

I definitely would. I did not have any free travel in my clutch before, it was slipping from day one and the dealership insisted it was just fine. I only buy manual transmissions. Never had an issue until this purchase and that is almost 30 years of using a clutch. Since it was replaced, it has about 2 inches of free travel which is about where it should be. I know it was never adjusted right from the factory. Sounds like you are in the same situation. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
731 Posts

That just goes to show you the people who work there have no idea how manuals work
A brand new clutch burning out after 3k is pretty apparent they built it wrong especially if the truck is a 2019 and just rolled off the lot

I would of replied the ware must of been when you were test driving my truck not knowing how to properly drive manual that would shut them up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts