Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, obviously, I'm new to the forum.

I'm thinking about getting a 2010 Pro4x 4x4 for commuting and weekend off-road excursions.

A few questions:
1 - how well or poorly does the air conditioner work especially in high heat areas like the southwest US?
2 - does the cooling need to be upgraded for off-road use in the deserts?
3 - do the stock stereos sound ok (i've test driven but didn't get to use the stereo).
4 - i know the truck has a lot of power, however, when i test drove it, it seemed to shift a lot on hills; have you found this to be common in the automatics? i test drove a comparable toyota and it did not have to keep upshifting on the hills. I liked the nissan MUCH better otherwise.

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
The A/C works great, but window tint does help. We get really strong sun here like you do in your area and I'm glad I had my front windows tinted. It really helps a lot, especially when driving in the mornings and evenings.

These trucks have a great cooling system in stock form. I don't foresee it as being an issue for you. I've never even seen mine hit the middle of the gauge. Even when in 4low being pretty hard on it up in the mtns.

The RF system actually sounds pretty damn good IMO. The stock non RF system leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

Mine has plenty of power even at over 10k'. I don't notice mine gear hunting, but it has an adaptive transmission and it needs to learn your driving style.

·
Registered
843 Posts
welcome to club frontier.

the air conditioning in these second generation trucks works well and is adequate for high heat areas. they do need time to cool if you jump in a cab that is 100 degrees however, so keep that in mind.

these trucks come equipped. if you get a tow package with transmission coolers.

stock stereo is OK but you will have to decide that. you will probably upgrade eventually.

yes, it is common for our 5 sp auto transmissions to shift between gears. i don't know if its accurate to say toyota doesn't not do this, i can remember my 05 tundra doing it.

my auto v6 vq40 puts out 265 hp, my auto v8 tundra put out 270 hp. both towed 6500, and 7200 lbs respectively.

heres some 09' reviews ...
2009 Nissan Frontier Consumer Review

happy hunting and best regards

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
Welcome! All of my Frontiers A/C systems worked very well even at extremes of 90's to above 100 in NJ but that's not an often occurance.
I've spoken to engineers at Nissan in Tennessee and they said the trucks were tested with towing at the proving grounds in Arizona. There is a secondary electric cooling fan behind the radiator. I believe all the auto trans trucks have a factory added trans cooler too.

Clint

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies

I'm really looking forward towards getting the Frontier. I've already started looking at tires, speakers, and HUs for it.

Currently driving a car. Every time I get a car, I end up missing my truck. It's more fun to upgrade a truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts