Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a 2015 with just shy of 10,000 miles and had a few questions.

1- Its been about 40 degrees in the mornings here and its very noisy at start-up and for about 2 minutes thereafter. Normal?

2- any common issues on the 15's drivetrain wise? Motor, trans, diffs, transfer case? Any good preventative mods?

3- number 3 was gonna be about the crap gas mileage but its clearly been beat to death on here so ill hold off complaining...

4- Drivers side door creaks around turns, no accidents no damage just makes an odd creak at times from inside the door. Normal?

THANK YOU GUYS A TON in advance. thank you for all the help and the great topics ive spent DAYYYS reading.

Hopefully ill figure out how to post a pic of my 2015 sv crew cab to show off the not so common metallic blue!

·
Registered
47 Posts
2- axle vent mod

3- I bought an aem air filter, so now i can use the money I save not replacing the air filter on gas. Beat to death, your foot is the best way to save gas.

4- might be the sway bar, lube it up and aee if that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2- axle vent mod

3- I bought an aem air filter, so now i can use the money I save not replacing the air filter on gas. Beat to death, your foot is the best way to save gas.

4- might be the sway bar, lube it up and aee if that helps.
Ive read alot about the axle vent mod will that void warranty on my rear end? Or cause any dealer issues?

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
The doors on my KC sometimes creak a little bit on turns, and have done so since the truck was a year or two old. It seems to be worse after driving down dusty roads and better after washing the truck. I've always attributed it to dust in the door jams, but that's just a guess.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The doors on my KC sometimes creak a little bit on turns, and have done so since the truck was a year or two old. It seems to be worse after driving down dusty roads and better after washing the truck. I've always attributed it to dust in the door jams, but that's just a guess.

Welcome to the forum.
Ill check it out try a good wash. Thank you for the warn welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
The startup rattle can come from your oil filter. Try an OEM one next oil change. Is it only the cool (not cold... sorry) mornings it does that in?

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,113 Posts
Ive read alot about the axle vent mod will that void warranty on my rear end? Or cause any dealer issues?
It didn't void my warranty when they replaced my rear end. In fact, they said it was a great idea and made sure to hook it up when they replaced my new rear end.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The startup rattle can come from your oil filter. Try an OEM one next oil change. Is it only the cool (not cold... sorry) mornings it does that in?
Its been cool in mornings since ive owned it but say i go to lunch and its 70 degrees out its still the same usually for a minute or two. Got a fresh oil change when i bought it but they used a damn mopar filter... may be part of the issue i just ordered a wix xp if it doesnt help ill change oil and put on a nissan. Anyone got the oem part number for the 4.0 oil filter?

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Compared to most other engines, the 4.0 is a little noisy when cold. As mentioned, some filters seem to help or hinder this, but keep in mind most of the noise is fine and is built in by the designers of the engine. There are a few valve train clearances that are mechanical and tighten up as the engine warms. 99.99999% of it is nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
1- Its been about 40 degrees in the mornings here and its very noisy at start-up and for about 2 minutes thereafter. Normal?
2 minutes is a long time. Are you just referring to a high idle that settles down...or disturbing noises that seem out of the norm? IFF disturbing, I recall some folks here posting about VIAS rattle (IIRC). Also, it is not uncommon for gravel or whatnot to work itself into the exhaust heat shields and creating their own racket at particular RPMs.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I've found a way that, at lest to me, seems to help with the start up rattle on cold starts or after its been sitting for a good while.

I'll turn the key to the ON position but don't start it. I wait till theres a slight 'clunk' from the engine compartment, then I'll start it. Once the engine starts I'll continue to hold the key in the start position for just a split second longer then let it go.

I'm not sure what the 'clunk' sound is, maybe its the pressure valve for the timing chains?? Im really not sure what causes the clunk sound, perhaps someone here has a better idea or might know for sure what it could be.

What I do know is that after I stumbled across this technique I hardly ever have the startup rattle & if/when I do its very subtle & only lasts about 2 seconds at most.

I had a creaking sound coming from my drivers door for a long time, but it only happened when the window was all the way up. If it was cracked open or all the way down it was fine. I finally figured out it was the rail & the plastic piece that connects the window to the rail.

When the window was completely up it would put the plastic piece & rail in a bind & cause the creaking sound. I sprayed dry silicone lube on it but that would only last a couple months at most then it started all over again.

I finally tore the door apart & pulled the window motor & rail out of it. I took some light-weight, weatherproof, industrial grade grease & smeared a good coat of it up & down the window rail. I then put it back together & its hasn't made a peep since. That was about 8 months ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've found a way that, at lest to me, seems to help with the start up rattle on cold starts or after its been sitting for a good while.

I'll turn the key to the ON position but don't start it. I wait till theres a slight 'clunk' from the engine compartment, then I'll start it. Once the engine starts I'll continue to hold the key in the start position for just a split second longer then let it go.

I'm not sure what the 'clunk' sound is, maybe its the pressure valve for the timing chains?? Im really not sure what causes the clunk sound, perhaps someone here has a better idea or might know for sure what it could be.

What I do know is that after I stumbled across this technique I hardly ever have the startup rattle & if/when I do its very subtle & only lasts about 2 seconds at most.

I had a creaking sound coming from my drivers door for a long time, but it only happened when the window was all the way up. If it was cracked open or all the way down it was fine. I finally figured out it was the rail & the plastic piece that connects the window to the rail.

When the window was completely up it would put the plastic piece & rail in a bind & cause the creaking sound. I sprayed dry silicone lube on it but that would only last a couple months at most then it started all over again.

I finally tore the door apart & pulled the window motor & rail out of it. I took some light-weight, weatherproof, industrial grade grease & smeared a good coat of it up & down the window rail. I then put it back together & its hasn't made a peep since. That was about 8 months ago.
Thanks for the ideas ill give them both a shot for now! I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
No problem! Let us know how things turn out for ya! I'm really curious if the starting technique works out for anyone else. I stumbled across it one day when I went to start the truck & got sidetracked with something else. Then I started it & no timing chain rattle. I tried it several other times afterwards & it seemed to work nearly every time. So, I've stuck with it ever since.

If you can push on your door panel while driving & the creaking sound your talking about stops, then its definitely the window binding. If that's the case, & seeing how your truck is pretty new, I'd take it back to the dealer & ask them to put more window regulator grease on the rail & window guide. That should take care of it.

If pushing on the door panel doesn't stop the sound then it could be a door hinge binding & creaking or as rubber chicken suggested it could be front end related. Whichever way you decide to go, once you get it taken care of be sure to let us know about the solution & outcome.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
No problem! Let us know how things turn out for ya! I'm really curious if the starting technique works out for anyone else. I stumbled across it one day when I went to start the truck & got sidetracked with something else. Then I started it & no timing chain rattle. I tried it several other times afterwards & it seemed to work nearly every time. So, I've stuck with it ever since.

If you can push on your door panel while driving & the creaking sound your talking about stops, then its definitely the window binding. If that's the case, & seeing how your truck is pretty new, I'd take it back to the dealer & ask them to put more window regulator grease on the rail & window guide. That should take care of it.

If pushing on the door panel doesn't stop the sound then it could be a door hinge binding & creaking or as rubber chicken suggested it could be front end related. Whichever way you decide to go, once you get it taken care of be sure to let us know about the solution & outcome.
The clunk? should be the sound your fuel pump makes when it has pressurized the fuel system. And it's not a good idea to keep your starter engaged after the engine starts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The clunk? should be the sound your fuel pump makes when it has pressurized the fuel system. And it's not a good idea to keep your starter engaged after the engine starts.
^^^This^^^ The rattle could be injectors ticking instead of timing chain rattle if that's what's helping the sound. I wouldn't know if pressurizing the system helps or not but for some reason I always do it in all of my vehicles. A hold over from diesels and glow plugs I suppose.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The rattle can also be the timing chain, it takes a second or so for the oil system to create the pressure required for the timing chain tensioner's to operate.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just hit the remote start button just as I'm getting ready to walk out the door. By the time I'm in the truck its quiet. The colder it is outside, the loger I wait before walking out - up to five minutes or so in a MN winter. :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
:udaman:

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,113 Posts
I just hit the remote start button just as I'm getting ready to walk out the door. By the time I'm in the truck its quiet. The colder it is outside, the loger I wait before walking out - up to five minutes or so in a MN winter. :)
I just leave my block heater plugged in and set on a timer for about two or three hours in the morning. >:D

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
That's a good possibility. I haven't ever taken the time to have someone turn the key while I listen to where exactly the 'clunk' is coming from in the engine bay. If I happen to think about it while I'm off work I'll get somebody to help me & see if I can pin down where the it's coming from then report back.

And I agree with not keeping the starter engaged after the engine has started. It can, at the very least, shorten the starter life or, at most, get the bendix out of sync/alignment with the flywheel & cause the teeth on both to get chewed up which can cause other issues. I just know that after I hear the 'clunk' then start the engine the timing chain rattle either doesn't happen at all or only lasts for about a second at most.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts