Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just purchased a 2006 Frontier crew cab, short bed, automatic, SE 4x4. So far I really like it!
It has 169k miles on it and a very foggy maintenance history. The previous owner was fairly clueless about maintenance, but they were diligent on oil changes. Thankfully the vehicle was used gently and not modified or hacked at all. No wrecks, clean title.

I have already replaced the spark plugs with NGK 6240 (OEM spec) and changed the cabin air filter. Based on the looks of both of these items, I suspect that they are the original OEM components.
Chassis and undercar in general looks REALLY good. No rust, no dirt, no leaks, nothing. Very very clean.
I downloaded a factory service manual and have been reviewing it.

Anyway. I had a few questions.
1. Headlights are fogged (UV degradation) ,a pet peve of mine! I have done the headlight restoration kits in the past, but I would rather just buy new headlights. Are the later model OEM headlights (2011+ ?) compatible with the earlier model facia? I like the later model design a bit better. I dont mind some minor modification.

2. The truck came with a really nice paint-matched fiberglass canopy. Which is great, but I don't like canopies. I would like to keep it to use a couple times a year (camping, road trips, etc), but the rest of the time I prefer it comes off, and I have nowhere to store it.
Is there a folding fabric canopy alternative? I found the Soft Topper, which would be perfect because I can store it in the off season. But they are like $700! How much could I sell my fiberglass canopy for? I have no idea!? Any general advice would be great.

3. What is the maintenance requirement for the VQ40DE timing chain?

4. What other maintenance should I look into with this high mileage vehicle? It just got a new radiator (and coolant flush obviously), and I plan to change all the drivetrain lubricants as well this winter. What else should I watch?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. No garage overhead room for a suspended canopy storage solution unfortunately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i recently got an 06 too, but mine is stick.
the air filter and cabin air filters were filthy.
the engine oil seems good
the spark plugs, are difficult to access cause you have to remove the intake, so i did not check those, why do you check yours and verified it needs replacement?
i replace the manual transmission oil, but the oil that came out was clean.
i checked the brake fluid, to see if it needs to be replaced, and it seemed in good color.

you should check your differentials, your oil is probably due in them.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
For the shell, depending on brand, condition, and options the you can expect between $300-500 for it on the used market. Shells for this truck are pretty uncommon as they are a unique size and fit nothing else.

I sold the hard shell I had, replaced it with a softopper and have been very happy. If you are not in a huge rush they show up on here used for sale a few times a year. I found mine on here used for half of the new price and it was pretty much brand new.

Check for SMOD on the trans. If the previous owner changed the radiator just prior to selling thats a red flag. Could have had cross contamination and they just changed the rad and flushed the trans to get it by.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I am familiar with coolant/ATF cross contamination, seen it in other vehicles. I will look into that.

With no history on spark plugs, I just decided to replace them. The previous owner had owned it for about 110k miles and never did plugs, so I knew it was due.
Yes intake manifold has to come off (or at least lift up a couple inches) to change the pass. side plugs. But it is not hard. You can check a drivers side plug easily and get an idea of how they all look.

I will probably put the hard shell on the local craigslist and see what I can get for it, then pick up a soft topper.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Anyone have timing chain check/replacement advice? Just run it until it starts to make noise??

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Yep, secondary timing chain tensioners will let you know when its time. When they wear out it will sound like there is supercharger installed. The primary chain is a lifetime part so no need to worry about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, secondary timing chain tensioners will let you know when its time. When they wear out it will sound like there is supercharger installed. The primary chain is a lifetime part so no need to worry about it.

Can you elaborate on the sound? It makes a whine now, kind of like a power steering pump sound. But it's not power steering. Seems to reduce as engine warms. It's rpm dependent.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Can you elaborate on the sound? It makes a whine now, kind of like a power steering pump sound. But it's not power steering. Seems to reduce as engine warms. It's rpm dependent.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds just like a supercharger if you have ever heard one. I guess it could sound like a power steering pump...

This truck in the video has the problem:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, sounds just like that. Maybe even a little bit louder. Looks like I have a timing chain job in my future. Looks like a good rainy-weekend project. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts