Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per the title, I'm a new owner. I've seen the complaints about the tray above the radio, on top of the dash. Other than the kit to install the GPS, does anyone make a door/lid to go on this to conceal and protect from sun and heat? If not, what does everyone use this for ???

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
I put my Garmin up there, I have a stick on disk for the suction mount in the tray.
I had the one with the door on my last Frontier but the new models are larger and that won't work for the new ones.
Enjoy the truck.

Clint

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Same as Clint, I have my Garmin sitting on a disk. I wound up epoxying the disk in as it (sticky foam) kept letting go. I also toss glasses, change, rag for wiping dash/window or anything else that may get tossed there.... and when I head offroad it all falls to the floor.....

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Needed a way to mount my amateur radio equipment and didn't want it in the way of other dash controls. Took some existing brackets and bolted them to the tray to hold a piece of aluminum drilled to hold everything and painted with rustoleum flat black.

The bracket holds the radio control, a GPS, and a couple speakers very nicely. All the wiring drops through the tray into the dash to all the equipment. Thankfully the area underneath the tray has room for all the bolts and such.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Needed a way to mount my amateur radio equipment and didn't want it in the way of other dash controls. Took some existing brackets and bolted them to the tray to hold a piece of aluminum drilled to hold everything and painted with rustoleum flat black.

The bracket holds the radio control, a GPS, and a couple speakers very nicely. All the wiring drops through the tray into the dash to all the equipment. Thankfully the area underneath the tray has room for all the bolts and such.
That's pretty sweet.
I plan to do something kinda similar and mount my CB Radio up there. Maybe it will give my Joying radio a good shadow too so I can see it better

·
Registered
141 Posts
I used mine for decoration. Used some wall plates screwed together and glued magnets to some rick and morty figures and stuck them to it. Have grip tape on the bottom plate so the whole thing stays put. Not practical at all but fun.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
i use mine to hold my wallet on ocassion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pic of the rear with everything hooked up.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
WHERE DO YOU PUT YOUR BAGELS NOW?!?!?!?!:surprise:
In my MOUTH!!::wink::

Or on the lower center cubby.

This is the cell phone holder I bought. Had to trim it some to fit in the cavity and still not perfect. Holds the phone well except for the steepest of 4wd low type climbs.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
I did this awhile back to use my phone navigation before I swapped head units (click pic for more info):

Nowadays my wallet goes up there every so often.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Clinometer

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Call me old school, I still use a Tomtom or cell phone and a similar holder as this one, that mounts to the vent:

·
Banned
98 Posts
Call me old school, I still use a Tomtom or cell phone and a similar holder as this one, that mounts to the vent:

Hey Old School, I am too. There comes a point in your life where you have to decide...I no longer want to listen to new music. I don't want to be on Facebook. I don't want to know what Twitter is. I'm gonna be in the dark and I'm ok with that. That's where I'm at. My wife still keeps up with that stuff but I have no interest. So good for you, man. Print your Mapquest maps and find your way there. You know there were people in wagons that didn't have that stuff...haven't you played Oregon Trail? I joke but I'm very serious. They can have their Justin Beaver and Molly Cyrus. I don't need that in my life.

·
Registered
534 Posts

I can appreciate the idea of this, however it seems an obstruction to the passenger airbag deployment for one. The weight of all that equipment would certainly rip the plastic tray off in a collision flying around smashing into things like your face and chest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine just stores dust

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I can appreciate the idea of this, however it seems an obstruction to the passenger airbag deployment for one. The weight of all that equipment would certainly rip the plastic tray off in a collision flying around smashing into thinks like your face and chest.
I considered those as I was doing the build. It appears the airbag deployment will tend to push it up and back more than forward (and it doesn't overlap the panel by much. It also became a risk/reward situation as well. Having the equipment on the dash (in field of normal view) will make it less likely I will have an airbag deployment than mounting it all at my knees somewhere where it really impairs driving.

The number of cables and a few screws holding the top tray down should impede it's travel a little.

Valid concerns though...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts