Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I recently bought a 2007 XE 4 cyl/5 speed. I'm using it mainly as a commuter vehicle with homeowner hauling duties-I just sold an F150 I'd had for 7 yrs. I prefer driving 4 cylinders with manual transmissions-I feel it's more fun! The 2.5 is a decent revving engine and pulls well at low rpm. The first two tankfulls came in at 23 & 24 mpg driving normally 50/50 city/highway. I'm sure this tank won't do as well because I've been driving it harder & crusing @ 80 mph. The interior is a little plain but at 6'2" and 275 lbs I'm very comfortable in it. I've owned 6 ford pickups in my life (I'm 55) & this is my first Nissan-being built in Tennessee made me more comfortable with buying an "import".

· Registered
8,530 Posts
It sounds as if you are doing well with your new/used Frontier.

I would suggest 1 thing thou, check your speedo with either a GPS or speed indicator sign. This will help you figure out your true speed and thru how your true mpgs are doing.

Past that, have fun and if you run into problems, search first and then post up if you still can't find the answer.

· Registered
570 Posts
Ron: I have the same truck owned from new. I also use mine for general purposes and as a light work truck. Around town I consistently get 20+ mpg and on the freeway generally not more that 23. You'll find this vehicle is at it's best, mpg-wise, at around 60mph, but who wants to cruise at 60mph? Cruising at 75-80 brings aeordynamics into the picture in a big way and pushing the brick-like shape of the Frontier through the air at this speed takes its toll on gas mileage. It's a decent enough truck; at 35k miles I have had far fewer problems than with my previous Dodge Dakota and it's a vast improvement over the '90 Nissan Hardbody I had before that. So there is such a thing as progress still in the world of trucks!

· Premium Member
1,883 Posts
welcome to the 4 banger club

· Registered
1,130 Posts
yes welcome! i concur with your MPG findings. im an auto but consistently find 22-23 MPG. im about 60% city 40% hwy. the sections of interstate i mostly drive on here are 55 or 60 MPH speed limits (for good reasons...) so i usually drive about 60-65.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
80 in 3rd

This morning I ran it to 80 in third going up the interstate ramp-about 5500 rpm (hard to see pulling into traffic) & it was still pulling well. Like I said, I'll be interested in checking this tank's mpg-if I get 20 mpg I'll be thrilled

· Registered
937 Posts
I like my 2008 4 cylinder too. I have only 19,000 miles on it but have averaged 23 mpg but almost all of the driving has been highway and interstates. I concur that going about 55-60 mph in 5th gear gets the best mileage. I think the best tankful I had was 27 mpg.
The worst was 16 mpg (winter and subzero temps and that tankful was all stop and go in city driving). I think this is a great truck.

· Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Ill show you guys my daily 2nd gear 6000 rpms pull on the freeway. Its fun :) Im pretty sure Im not getting 23mpg. It seems to be sucking down gas pretty good. Maybe 18-20 with my truck and my driving

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I checked the mileage on this tank-driving over the speed limit everywhere 75-80 on the interstate and running hard through the gears when traffic permitted-AC always on. 358.4 miles/16.373 gallons = 21.89 mpg. I then checked the speedometer accuracy as another poster suggested. My garmin GPS shows 68 mph @ indicated 70. That's about 3% off. 21.89 x .97= 21.23 corrected mpg. I'm very pleased. Now I'm going to try for max mpg on a tank; I doubt I'll get over 25 mpg because of the aerodynamics of a pickup. Another thing I'm liking about this truck is the cruise control-it's the best I've ever had. The engine has enough power to hold set speed on most of our WV hills without shifting. I hate driving cruise on my wife's 4 cyl RAV4 around here because the 4 spd auto trans shifts down so easily I'm often running 4000 rpm up hills

· Registered
85 Posts
Well ive noticed that this 02 frontier 4 cyl up shifts SO FAST... I mean i come off the line and its in 2nd gear by 2k rpm.. and in 4th gear by 40mph... then you wonder why when you semi punch it... it goes nowhere, all u get is that loud intake suction but the truck doesnt downshift.... it only downshifts when u hit like 75% throttle... Then it gets some balls.. :)
SO what i do and depending on my mood at that second, when the light turns green i hit the throttle like a normal person and take off super slow or give it about 50% throttle and shoot out like a bat of a cave...

But i just purchased this truck in june so i just filled up the gas tank to see how many miles i can get out of it... When i 1st got it it had 1/4 tank of gas and i noticed that the low gas light came on quick... i must have pulled another 70 miles from the time that light came on...

So this time im gonna carry a 2 gallon gas jug around and leave it in the bed and just run this suker till i run out of gas then know my true tank mpg... and this will be no a/c in the mornings and ac in the afternoons (95 deg)......

· Registered
85 Posts
Well i filled up the truck to the very tip top... Ran about 283.1 CITY miles b4 it started to sputter on me for about a 1/4 miles worth and luckily a gas station was right there...
Filled it up and it sucked up 15.77 gallons out of a 15.9 gallon tank according to nissan :)
So yea that was TOO close for comfort.
So thats 17.7 CITY mpg which consists of all types of driving... a/c ON and OFF here and there, a few hard pulls off the line, a few hard downshift pulls trying to get away from s l o w drivers... ZERO wot pulls.. the most i ever gave it was prob 75% throttle...
So im sure with normal driving, keeping to the speed limit, accelerating off the line in a normal fashion, no hard passing, NO a/c... i could pass 20 mpg....

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After driving a tank with very light throttle, I got 23.28 which is adjusted for speedometer error. A/C always on 50/50 city/highway. Next weekend I'm driving to Pennsylvania so that will be all highway, but it's up one hill & down another. I don't think I'll ever be able to exceed 23-24 mpg-BUT I'll also probably never get less than 20.

· Registered
570 Posts
After driving a tank with very light throttle, I got 23.28 which is adjusted for speedometer error. A/C always on 50/50 city/highway. Next weekend I'm driving to Pennsylvania so that will be all highway, but it's up one hill & down another. I don't think I'll ever be able to exceed 23-24 mpg-BUT I'll also probably never get less than 20.
I hate to say I told you so, but...I did-two weeks ago!

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, yeah I know. I think the XE 5 speed is geared too low for us to get real high numbers. When I exit the interstate my truck slows down much quicker than my old F150-it would coast a lot farther. It had 3.55's compared to our 4.08's. With a V6 & auto I could get 20.5 mpg with it.

· Registered
570 Posts
When you're asking a 2.5 ltr four to motivate a 2+ ton vehicle, tradeoffs are involved. Your F-150 may have been capable of 20.5 on the highway, but what did you typically get in city driving. I think we XE drivers have nothing to complain about at 20-24 mpg.

· Registered
117 Posts
For what it is worth with MPG...

Cover the bed.. It really helps on the Frontiers.

I have a '98 KA24DE/5-speed and was sitting around 20-21 MPG in mixed driving around Houston.

I covered the bed and I now get around 24-26 in mixed driving

· Registered
45 Posts
I also recently went from an F150 to a Frontier. I think I'm getting really good mileage considering the trucks age and 127000 miles on the odometer. I have been averaging 26 mpg since I bought it. My daily commute is about 75% highway and 25% in town. Way better then the 15 mpg I averaged with the F150 I had.

· Registered
75 Posts
How old is ur truck? 127k mi is nothing for these trucks... i think they get great mpg's with much higher miles on them as long as they are running properly... 26 is very good tho... like some others have stated u could do even better if u were obsessed with it...

i find i don't usually get the best mpg's on the highway with these trucks bcuz i like to drive ~70ish... these trucks seem to be geared for optimal mpg's in 5th gear at 50-55 (unlike a lot of newer cars)... at 70 ur rpms's are too high and the aerodynamics start to become a real problem...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.