Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this in the Titan Forum and thought it looked cool! This was a relatively cheap mod that seems very popular with the Titan crowd, and it was fairly inexpensive and quite easy!

The Titan guys complained of a clunk that occurred in the drive line when putting the truck into gear and when accelerating/decellerating. This mod, which essentially are your basic helper springs mounted backward, are supposed to eliminate the clunk and as an added bonus act as traction bars helping to put the torque to the ground for quicker take offs without unneccessary wheel spin or hop. I have eperienced this same clunk although I have not noticed much wheel hop. This noise is apparently cause due to axle wrap under hard accelleration. Here's a link to the Discussion on Club Titan: http://www.clubtitan.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=810

And another discussion on Titan Talk: www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11185

Total Install time was less than 30 minutes. I got them from Advance Auto for $24.95. They are the Dynachrome Leaf Spring Helpers, Part # 18921.

Here are a couple pics I shot as I was installing them on my truck:

Attachments

Reactions: Shift_Avenger

·
Registered
733 Posts
good one! I might look into this. I had a few wheel spin when it was pouring her ein Cali...

·
Registered
224 Posts
that pic u got thre, is that frontier or titan

·
Registered
224 Posts
okay thanks, i havent feel rear axle twist on mine, but im going to try this, mine hops drinving on a highway hitting a small bump. ill see if makes a diff.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am considering on doing the same, since it's a good precautionary measure for $25.00

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fronty2005 said:
that pic u got thre, is that frontier or titan
Fronty2005,

Yep, that's my truck! It was a super easy install. The directions say to jack up the rear end and remove the tires, but on the advice of JetTech on the Titan boards, I just slid under the truck and did it, there was plenty of clearance. I noticed a difference this morning on the way to work, we had a pretty bad pre-dawn thunderstorm and the roads were slick. That's when I notice the wheel hop the most, taking off on slick streets. It felt like it had a lot more traction this morning. It also seemed a bit tighter in corners too. Otherwise I didn't note any difference in ride quality. When I saw it in the DIT Section of Club Titan, I thought it was an interesting addition and figured if it worked for the Titan crowd, it'll probably work for us as well! Plus, for those who pull a trailer, it will help a bit with rear end sag too!

·
Registered
733 Posts
bwarren228 said:
Does it hurt ground clearance much?
I don't think it would, if you look at the pictures posted by Paul, it seems higher than the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't see where it would hurt ground clearance at all. You really can't even see them when you're standing looking at the truck, unless you kneel down and look under the truck. The rear end and lower shock mounts hang lower than they do, and where they start to dip is about even with the leading edge of the tire!

·
Registered
147 Posts
$26 for Traction Bars :lol: well worth it.
Let see Sitting at the Light next to some silly little Taco and punch it :twisted:
I am going to do this mod as well.
Sometimes I wish I could mod my Muscle Car as easily. :x

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bet any of the chain type auto parts stores would have them. There's usually one on every other street corner! Try Checker Autp Parts or Discount Auto patrs if you have one of them, they all seem to carry the same things!

·
Registered
733 Posts
mmendezm3power said:
dont you think that the nuts would fall-off after awhile???
yeah it seems that's an issue, but maybea thread lock would fix that, for the vibrations that may cause that.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mmendezm3power said:
Those won't accomplish what what these cheapies will. Remember they are helper springs, but they are installed backwards so they act more like traction bars than a helper spring. Those on ebay will help you haul a heavier load but won't necessariky stop axle wrap which is what causes wheel hop and loss of traction.

As for the nuts loosing, the U bolt has lock washers and the bolt that acts as the retainer has two nuts, one on either side of the bracket and they are tightened againat each other. I just checked mine after doing my nrmal commute and they are just as tight as when I installed them. The instructions do suggest checking after 500 to 1000 miles to ensure they remain tight.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well got mine installed tonight after work. Took a short drive after the install didn't feel the warp. Got a little running around to do tomorrow so we'll test it out some more.

Reactions: whistler
1 - 20 of 286 Posts