Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into a New 2022 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4. Had Titans before, a long time ago. Wondering what issues are common in the 3.8 with 9 speed and if there is problems with the frontier truck now days.

· Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4X4
961 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina. Scroll through the 3rd generation forums and you’ll see a few of the issues some have had with their trucks. Seats that recline by themselves, rough shifting transmissions, doors locking, infotainment systems not maintaining source presets, etc. I think the biggest issue is the transmission recall which may require a reprogramming or physical replacement of the parking pawl. My truck has been relatively trouble free and a joy to own. Yes the gas mileage could be better, and the turning radius is more akin to a semi rather than a midsize truck. I knew of those things before I signed on the dotted line. Test drive one. Familiarize your self with the features of the various trim levels. Think about what you can and cannot live without. Research the competition. I think the Frontier compares favorably with the current trucks on the market. I love mine!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from North Carolina. Scroll through the 3rd generation forums and you’ll see a few of the issues some have had with their trucks. Seats that recline by themselves, rough shifting transmissions, doors locking, infotainment systems not maintaining source presets, etc. I think the biggest issue is the transmission recall which may require a reprogramming or physical replacement of the parking pawl. My truck has been relatively trouble free and a joy to own. Yes the gas mileage could be better, and the turning radius is more akin to a semi rather than a midsize truck. I knew of those things before I signed on the dotted line. Test drive one. Familiarize your self with the features of the various trim levels. Think about what you can and cannot live without. Reseat the competition. I think the Frontier compares favorably with the current trucks on the market. I love mine!
I've been in the 3 rd gen reading since I posted. Already have the trans pawl fix on my list of questions for dealer. Not much on the lot to choose from. Going there friday to drive what they have and see what numbers he comes up with. Thanks for the reply.

· Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
1,302 Posts
welcome to CF, good luck Friday

· Registered
2022 Pro-4X
142 Posts
Welcome.

If you’re buying a new truck you won’t have to worry about the recall at all. It will either have been addressed at the dealership or more likely is that it’s new production from after the fix was implemented at the factory. I’m inclined to say that all the new trucks currently on lots should have been after the fix was implemented at the factory. Nissan wasn’t allowed to sell any new trucks that had this issue so the only chance of getting one needing the recall would be buying used.

The infotainment system needed an update or two but seems ironed out to me. I haven’t had a single reset or issue since the latest update - new car problems. Ask the dealer to update this for you!

The shifting on mine has been really smooth since about 5k miles. It was a little janky right off the lot but like my last modern transmission I think they have a learning period.

I’m really happy with mine so far it’s been a great truck and given me no real issues at all yet. Mine is sitting near 11k miles at the moment so still brand new.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome.

If you’re buying a new truck you won’t have to worry about the recall at all. It will either have been addressed at the dealership or more likely is that it’s new production from after the fix was implemented at the factory. I’m inclined to say that all the new trucks currently on lots should have been after the fix was implemented at the factory. Nissan wasn’t allowed to sell any new trucks that had this issue so the only chance of getting one needing the recall would be buying used.

The infotainment system needed an update or two but seems ironed out to me. I haven’t had a single reset or issue since the latest update - new car problems. Ask the dealer to update this for you!

The shifting on mine has been really smooth since about 5k miles. It was a little janky right off the lot but like my last modern transmission I think they have a learning period.

I’m really happy with mine so far it’s been a great truck and given me no real issues at all yet. Mine is sitting near 11k miles at the moment so still brand new.
Thanks, I'll ask about the update!

· Registered
2022 SV 4x4 CC Tactical Green
44 Posts
I have had my 22 for a year and in spite of the recall and a system fault warning today that seems to have re-set itself, it has been a pleasure to own.

If I were in the market for a truck today I would probably wait until the Tacoma remodel is unveiled in mid 2023, just to see what they are coming out with. If it is down to the 3rd Gen Frontier or the current generation Tacoma, I think the Frontier is the better truck.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had my 22 for a year and in spite of the recall and a system fault warning today that seems to have re-set itself, it has been a pleasure to own.

If I were in the market for a truck today I would probably wait until the Tacoma remodel is unveiled in mid 2023, just to see what they are coming out with. If it is down to the 3rd Gen Frontier or the current generation Tacoma, I think the Frontier is the better truck.
Looked at the few Tacoma's the local dealer had. When I ask about the price, he said " what you see is what it is" and walked away. He wasn't interested in selling anything. So yesterday did the paper work on a 23 SV. Monday I have to go get the check and take it to the dealer.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This will be her. This 2023 came in after I left from looking at the 22 the other day. That 22 was the ONLY Frontier with a hitch and 6' bed. The 23 has more on her so we decided on her. They have no idea when hitches will be available. I can find class III hitches, but no class IV and NO wiring! Took it for a spin and trans was smooth.

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts