Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi -- I have a manual 98 Frontier, 2wd, bought Dec 2015. It's in beautiful condition with about 67K miles. I want to change the transmission fluid and have a question I'd like to post. I'm not sure I've posted this in the right place for an introduction, but it's the best I could figure out. Thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You're in the right place to introduce yourself...hello and welcome! What's your transmission question?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're in the right place to introduce yourself...hello and welcome! What's your transmission question?
Hi, and thanks.
I've seen instructions for drain and fill using the plug holes underneath the truck. I'm wondering whether it's possible to change the trans fluid through a dipstick hole under the hood, using a trans fluid pump?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Your question says alot about your level of mechanical ability...no harm meant. For that reason I would advise taking it to a trustworthy shop to have it done professionally. I would follow your directions to the letter if you are going to attempt it.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,198 Posts
That would be literally be impossible to accomplish. Take a look at the pic...arrows point to the drain and filler plugs.
Here's also the pdf file for the manual transmission from the 1998 FSM.

Also a link to the FSM.
View attachment mt.pdf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have a cramped space to work in if it means going under the truck, and a neater method would be nice (not meaning this in a sexist way -- I've changed oil from below countless times on other vehicles -- but this particular woman really likes to avoid extra work). Thanks for the info on no dipstick. Also for the invaluable link to the service manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your question says alot about your level of mechanical ability...no harm meant. For that reason I would advise taking it to a trustworthy shop to have it done professionally. I would follow your directions to the letter if you are going to attempt it.
No harm taken I'd actually prefer to take it to a shop at this point -- but I've been having problems with super high quotes for just a drain and fill. This forum conversation led me to buckle down and to call my two shops and pin them down on specifics, and now their quotes are in an acceptable range. Having read a lot of forum posts it seems the best fluid to use would be Nissan GL-4 75W85, avoiding GL-5? (BG's 75X90 GL5 is what one shop wants to use, but they're OK with using fluid I provide). Does that sound right? I believe I read that Nissan was now recommending the 75X85 instead of the 75X90 recommended in the manual. Dealer says BG 75X90 GL5 is the way to go, but I am skeptical of that. I know there are lots of different opinions, but I wouldn't mind another or two.
I really appreciate the input you both have given.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No harm taken I'd actually prefer to take it to a shop at this point -- but I've been having problems with super high quotes for just a drain and fill. This forum conversation led me to buckle down and to call my two shops and pin them down on specifics, and now their quotes are in an acceptable range. Having read a lot of forum posts it seems the best fluid to use would be Nissan GL-4 75W85, avoiding GL-5? (BG's 75X90 GL5 is what one shop wants to use, but they're OK with using fluid I provide). Does that sound right? I believe I read that Nissan was now recommending the 75X85 instead of the 75X90 recommended in the manual. Dealer says BG 75X90 GL5 is the way to go, but I am skeptical of that. I know there are lots of different opinions, but I wouldn't mind another or two.
One more issue: One shop and dealer say that a drain and fill on the manual trans will remove most of the fluid and the other shop says it only removes about half. Any takes on that? Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,198 Posts
One more issue: One shop and dealer say that a drain and fill on the manual trans will remove most of the fluid and the other shop says it only removes about half. Any takes on that? Thanks!
That's a question that fellow CF member @Cusser could accurately answer since he also owns a 98 w/ manual tranny. Hang tight as I'm sure he'll chime in shortly.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I applaud you trying to do it yourself but I think you made a good decision to have it done. Glad you got the price to do it right too. I've always used GL-4 Nissan on manual trans because of the lack of harmful additives that GL-5 has in it. GL-4 is specifically recommended for the gen 2 trucks...don't know about the gen 1's. GL-4 would be the safe bet however.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I applaud you trying to do it yourself but I think you made a good decision to have it done. Glad you got the price to do it right too. I've always used GL-4 Nissan on manual trans because of the lack of harmful additives that GL-5 has in it. GL-4 is specifically recommended for the gen 2 trucks...don't know about the gen 1's. GL-4 would be the safe bet however.
Thanks very much. It bothers me to see GL-5 recommended after what I've read on posts here -- I suspect BG's GL-5 is being pushed because of the outrageous markups on anything BG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's weird. How would it only drain half? It's a drain plug. It's not like it has a torque converter or anything.

I wonder if they are trying to get over on you since your a chick
Could very well be. So you're saying most of it actually does drain out? I seem to recall that other info on manual trans fluid change also said that it couldn't all be changed at once because only a portion drained. Maybe that's just for automatics, but I'd like confirmation from someone's experience draining manuals.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Could very well be. So you're saying most of it actually does drain out? I seem to recall that other info on manual trans fluid change also said that it couldn't all be changed at once because only a portion drained. Maybe that's just for automatics, but I'd like confirmation from someone's experience draining manuals.
It will all come out if you pull the drain plug on the manual...only partial on the autos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts