Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the dilemma I own a 2011 FJ army green with 59k miles. Great truck. I tow a boat that is 4500lbs. The FJ is rated for 5000lbs. It tow's ok but it's at the limit. I think the short wheelbase has something to do with it. So I'm looking at a 2016 Pro4x. because of the higher tow rating and I miss having a pickup. This truck is discounted to $28495.00. Not bad for a new Pro auto.The FJ is worth $23000 trade in. The issue is i'm going to want to level or lift it and put 17" wheels and tires the 16" are pathetic. I guess my question is the Frontier that much of a better truck and worth dumping the extra $$ into. Ive owned mostly Toyota's I know the enemy!! But I have liked certain things about the Frontier.

Thanks ahead for any input.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Currently on my 3rd Frontier in 10 years, with the exception of the '06 they have been great trucks. However at this point in their lives I think most people will fall into two categories... 1. Absolute fanboys who say buy an 11 year old platform because it's proven and 2. Go for the new offerings(i.e. Tacoma, Colorado, and maybe a small minority suggest the Ridgeline. That being said it's a solid truck, fun to drive, "right size" for the city but gets terrible mileage. Is the price you were quoted for a king cab or crew? I paid $28500 for my loaded crew pro in July 2011 so considering how much vehicles have increased I'd say that you have a good chance of scoring a deal, and with the competition being significantly north of 30k I understand why it's attractive.

If I was in the market today and needed to tow ~4500 on the regular I'd be looking at full size trucks. Since the tow weight is 4500 remember you've got people and gear too and that creeps close to the 6k max quick.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Not sure if you had a chance to drive it - I would to see if you like all aspects of it. Was the price for a crew cab or King cab version of the 4X? Thought the KC's come with Class III hitch rated at 5K lbs.

Interesting it doesn't come with a tow hitch but they are fairly cheap. I'd try to go a few bucks more and see if they have vendors to work in and offer the wheels/tires you want along with a tonneau cover.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Crew cab. Floor mats only options. Tried to get the trailer hitch throne in no luck yet.

Have you towed with yours?
Yes. I've towed multiple cargo trailers from California to BC, Canada. Not exactly sure of total weight but I estimate around 5k including myself and gear. The truck does just fine on the flat but once I started up the 6%'s it was peddle to the floor and ~55-60mph, acceptable yes, but maxed out in my opinion. This was all well and good until I factored in 8-9mpg for the trips... talk about a drag. A full size with a V8 or turbo V6(i.e. Ford EcoBoost) would have more room to spare and get better mileage.

I should add I have 285/75-16 BFG AT's that are load rage E and weight almost 60lbs a each and I know this has an overall effect on driveability and mpg. I mention this because of your plan to add wheels and tires...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the reply. I noticed in your pics. of things you did to your truck. The 5100's up frt. were you able to lift/level
the front with those?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks again for the reply. I noticed in your pics. of things you did to your truck. The 5100's up frt. were you able to lift/level
the front with those?
Yes the 5100's have 4 notches set at I believe 1/2 inch increments. I've got mine set at the second to the top and it's a about 2-2.5 inch lift, more than enough to fit the larger tires. I used the 5125's in the rear with a block....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the difference between the 5100's and the 5125's? what size block? I assume you had to change the U-bolts?

·
Registered
534 Posts
What's the difference between the 5100's and the 5125's? what size block? I assume you had to change the U-bolts?
One's a front shock with perch mounts and one is just rear without perches, and yes I needed a u-bolt kit but they came with the block kit from Calmini.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good. If I get the truck that sounds like it will work. I don't like the low stance of the Frontier. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts