Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I am about to buy my first Frontier in Toronto Canada (selling my 2003 subaru WRX) and I would love if anyone can guide me a bit before taking my decision. I don't know what to look for in a Frontier or what usually starts making problems after a certain mileage so I will try to give you all as much details as I can.

I saw 2 Frontiers both 2006 both at the exact same price. One with 202K but one owner since new with a fiberglass tonneau cover and RUST PROOFED FROM DAY 1 !! and full service at the dealership. (attached picture Frontier01)

and the other one 160K but several owners with a roof rack (no tonneau cover) and not much rust on it either. in pretty good shape but has few dents all round. (attached Picture Frontier02)

I am usually more worried about the mechanical part.

Can anyone tell me what to look for? for example on Subarus at 160K you have a major service including time belt, water pump etc even if they are still running fine and t is a bit expensive sine it is a boxer engine.

Are there well known problems with the 2006 Frontiers that I should be aware of?
Are there some weak spots in the Truck that are known to get some rust?

Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to meet the peps in Toronto that are part of that Forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This forum has a wealth of info

That being said a lot of people what to be lead to the water.

This is good starting point
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/common-problems-frontiers-44626/

Mostly if they're automatics look for newer radiators
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...mination-05-10-models-means-bypass-now-57547/

Make sure the 4x4 works

check for leaking axle seals and rear end pinion seals

front hubs tend to wear out around 120k miles or so

fuel sending units go goofy

people that 4 wheel in dusty area's have issues with their evap canisters

TPMS batteries last 6-8yrs so that's a likely issue on 2006's I replaced all of mine 2 years ago with nice Amazon units only $100

If you're not a mechanic have one check it out.

We have timing chains so they don't need to be replaced but it's a common issue that their tensioner's failed as earlier as 30-60k, but I'm at 150k and haven't had this issue.

Good luck and live long and prosper

These are great and awesome trucks.

>:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blue Devil for the links! Yes they are both automatic. I'm not a mechanic so most probably you are right I will let somebody check it. I will probably show him your links and ask him to check everything.

Thanks a lot!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts