Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! so as you can probably tell from my user name, I’m a Toyota guy. Toyota & Ford all the way. In fact, if there’s ever 2 manufacturers I’ve talked crap about... it’s Nissan & Chevy. Not so much based on their performance, more just looks wise. Anyway here I am finding myself looking at a 2002 Nissan Frontier SE ext. cab short bed 5-speed manual with 183K on the clock.
You’re not going to convince me that these are as reliable as Toyota’s... but the price is definitely more reasonable for that kind of mileage.What are the things I should know about these trucks, being that it’s nearing 200K?
Newer radiator, brake pads and rotors, valve cover gaskets. 3” lift on 33’s, desert fender kit. The only performance mods are K&N intake and 3” straight pipe exhaust...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey all! so as you can probably tell from my user name, I’m a Toyota guy. Toyota & Ford all the way. In fact, if there’s ever 2 manufacturers I’ve talked crap about... it’s Nissan & Chevy. Not so much based on their performance, more just looks wise. Anyway here I am finding myself looking at a 2002 Nissan Frontier SE ext. cab short bed 5-speed manual with 183K on the clock.
You’re not going to convince me that these are as reliable as Toyota’s... but the price is definitely more reasonable for that kind of mileage.What are the things I should know about these trucks, being that it’s nearing 200K?
Newer radiator, brake pads and rotors, valve cover gaskets. 3” lift on 33’s, desert fender kit. The only performance mods are K&N intake and 3” straight pipe exhaust...
I forgot to mention that the seller was asking $4,000. I told him I’d do $3,200 and he contacted me later that day and said he would do $3,200. Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my opinion that seems ok. Has the timing belt been changed out?
Hey Stephanie, I’m not sure when/if the timing belt has been done and neither is the seller. I’ve been looking at videos the last few days on how to do it on the Frontier. Definitely at the top of my list along with water pump.

·
Registered
132 Posts
$3200 depends on the condition of the truck. If it's got a lot of rust, no way. If it's clean then it could be a good deal.
Is it a V6 or 4cyl? 4x2 or 4x4?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey vadonkey, thanks for your response! No rust issues. It’s a 3.3L V6 4x4. Recent development this week (I haven’t bought it yet), service engine light came on throwing code for TPS. The seller let me know and took it to a local shop right away. He said when they hooked it up to the computer it didn’t show anything that would indicate the TPS was bad, but he had them replace it anyway. Drove it for 2 days with no issues. Now CEL is back on throwing code for knock sensor. He’s taking it back to the shop tomorrow to get everything checked out...

·
Registered
132 Posts
If the owner is making the effort to fix the issues, then I would feel a lot better about buying it. I would ask him when the timing belt was changed. If he has maintenance records that's icing on the cake. Good luck in your quest, and if there are any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Also visit the 1st Gen section, there is good info there and you can see what issues those owners are dealing with

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks man I really appreciate it! He’s not sure when/if the timing belt has been done. Probably the first thing I would do. But he does have receipts for everything maintenance related that he’s done over the past 3.5 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys! So I ended up buying that 02 Frontier. My 1st Nissan! Just brought it home today. Not perfect by any means, needs some TLC and some work but overall seems to be a solid runner! Hope it’s a reliable rig for many years to come!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice rig! Looks like it's set up for fun
The guy I bought it from said it was his son’s truck and he owned it for his last 2 years of high school (hence why it needs some TLC, 16 year olds 🙄). In that time he put 10K miles on it and since he’s been away at college the last year, the truck has barely been driven. There’s a few things I’d like to do to take the teenager out of it and make it a bit more adult looking... but maintenance comes first!

I feel like it’s a pretty decent rig considering the budget I was working with and I really just needed a vehicle after I totaled my 4Runner back in January 😭. In the time between I was driving a 2004 Toyota Sequoia that I bought for $2,800 with 290K on the chassis and trans.. 124K on the engine. Quite a big vehicle though and I don’t have kids lol. Not sure how long I plan on keeping this rig around but hoping it’ll get me by solid for at least the next few years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts