Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been an extremely happy nissan frontier owner untill yesterday, I have always had toyota tacomas in the past, I own a 2007 frontier 4x4 4 door long bed v6 6 speed manual tranny with 54,000 miles.I bought this truck new in 07based on good consumer reviews and I just simply liked the truck better than the 07 tacomas. Just recently replaced original tires and did brakes all around, my mechanic [ a good friend]tells me the truck is leaking gear oil on the brakes in the rear. He says that the seals are gone. He also tells me that there is a whining noise that occurs on and off the accelerator that is mostly prevalent at higher rpms. I took the truck to the dealer to be told that my truck needs a new rear end and a timing chain along with brake work due to the gear oil contamination. $5,500 worth of work! luckily it is all covered under the 6-60 powertrain warranty. I really take care of my vehicles and I cant beleive this has happened. Should I be concerned about this truck in the future? They have no explanation for the failures! Should I get rid of my first nissan or hang in there?
any similar experiences?
Thank you, Jason

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
how many miles?

timing chain guide failures have happened before, as have rear seals on the m226 (your rear diff). they arent super-common, but have been noted on the site. the repairs should fix further issues.

i hope it doesnt turn you off to the frontier. for every failure of these types, there have been many, many unaffected vehicles...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Welcome!

Warranty... ya gotta love em'.
But, in the future just the usual maintenace/inspection is needed like all vehichles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

The truck has 54,000 miles, It is just a little scary. in another 6,000 miles this repair bill would have put myself and my family in a pretty tough situation. You would never think that your 2 year old nissan truck would require a complete rear end and a timing chain.If you were to add the 650.00 for tires and the 550.00 for the brakes, this would total 6,700.00 worth of maintenance and repair to a two year old truck that has been extremely well taken care of! Unfortunately, I am no doubt having second thoughts about this purchase.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You've got a 5yr/60K mile powertrain warranty. Everything is covered. Don't let them BS you on it. You're covered dude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The dealer says that it is all covered, I would really like to know what caused the failures, I have towed a camper once or twice that is on the upper end of the vehicles specified capacity. I have also loaded the bed up with lumber and firewood on occasion, I dont know if any of these would cause the rear end to fail. And I certainly have no idea why the timing chain should be replaced at 54k , I know these things happen, but I have never experienced any of these problems with any other trucks.Just wondering if anyone else out there has had anything similar occur? Thanks again,Jason

By the way, The truck has been great otherwise. It has exceeded my expectations up untill now. It has never let me down and I really didnt notice any performance issues, If I had not done the brakes I would never have even known that there was an issue. I guess the whining noise was coming from the timing chain? I am leaning towards keeping the truck. jason

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I had the timing chain issue at about 50K and rear seals as well. All has been good since. Don't worry, they will fix it and you will be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts