Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

I joined the forum a few weeks ago to get insight on this truck from you guys. I would consider myself as a car guy however, with two growing boys with toys that are only getting bigger, I decided to get into a midsize truck because I don’t need a full size. I was between the Tacoma and the Frontier. After a few drives, I saw way too many Tacomas on the road. I wanted to be different and decided on getting a Frontier. After a lot of reading and whatever YouTube videos I could watch. I decided to get a used truck versus a new one. I ended up getting a 2013 Pro4X in magnetic black.

It has been one week with the truck and I love it a lot. I was hoping to take better photos but it has either been overcast or raining and the weather has not let up.

·
Registered
967 Posts
with two growing boys with toys that are only getting bigger, I decided to get into a midsize truck
The Frontier has a tighter back seat compared to the Tacoma or even most compact and midsize cars, so I figured that the Tacoma would be the better choice for those of us with kids. I drive the Frontier solo 99% of the time, so the back seat is used for luggage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Frontier has a tighter back seat compared to the Tacoma or even most compact and midsize cars, so I figured that the Tacoma would be the better choice for those of us with kids. I drive the Frontier solo 99% of the time, so the back seat is used for luggage.
The Tacoma would be better, but it's too similar to the 4runner, which my wife had before, which was another reason why I went with the Frontier. Similar to you, I'll be the one to use it 95% of the time. So it's all good. My kids aren't that big anyway.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Welcome to the club! Good choice on the Pro-4x.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
913 Posts
I have to agree the back seats are laughably tight, I'm short and i find them uncomfortable, I also keep the front seat all the way back, I really don't know how anyone 6ft+ could drive one of these comfortably. Back is perfect for a small kid though, which is also why I got the truck.
As a whole, it feels like the cabin is smaller inside than it should be for how large the truck is - the interior door panels (cards?) are super thick - they could have gained a few inches of space inside just by making them a little thinner. However one big factor why I picked the Frontier is the short length of the short bed model - It is the only current gen crew cab truck that would fit in my garage. All of the others are over 6 inches longer. I would have preferred a smaller truck but as we all know, none exist any more because... 'Merica.
I too was eyeballing the Tacoma before I bought the Frontier, and I do agree that it's annoying how you can't go more than 5 minutes without seeing a Tacoma, but it's the price difference that made it an easy choice. Blows me away how many people just blindly buy a Tacoma because "Toyota"... They're good, but not what they used to be. You wouldn't believe the issues people have if you read the forums. It really amazes me that the Frontier isn't more popular. A super reliable truck that hasn't changed in 15 years and there is very little aftermarket - seems crazy. Meanwhile the Taco has aftermarket galore. I think people just got tired of Nissan never updating it too, so it was popular when it released in 2005, and then died off since nothing changed, and recently began to get more popular again because it's way cheaper than the competition. We're all dying to see the 2021 that's supposed to be all new, I'm not a fan of the new smaller engine and too-many speed transmission though. That is another thing I didn't like about the Tacoma, an even smaller engine. Hey makers - Instead of making vehicles huge with tiny engines to get better fuel economy, how about bring back the real mini-trucks and leave the engines alone so they can actually be reliable?
rant over... ha ha

welcome! what's the first mod gonna be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey makers - Instead of making vehicles huge with tiny engines to get better fuel economy, how about bring back the real mini-trucks and leave the engines alone so they can actually be reliable?
rant over... ha ha

welcome! what's the first mod gonna be?
HAHA! I can agree with bringing back the smaller trucks. They would be so much fun. Speaking of the first mod, I ordered and recieved Katana LED lights for the headlights. I noticed that the light doesn’t project very well and after reading many threads, I went ahead and got the lights. I hope these lights project a bit further. If not at least they were very inexpensive.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Honestly not sure if id want a smaller truck. I’m 6’ 2” and 6’ 3” in boots. I need that cab space. For me driving my sisters Mini Cooper isn’t ideal for long drives. In all honesty my nest trucks going to be a gmc regular cab with the 8 foot bed. I love my truck though and it has done everything I’ve needed it to do from work to play, If you look at the numbers the Frontier isn’t all that different from a 70’s Chevy pickup. Similiar bed size, bad steering etc. Great truck there really damn reliable and can definitely take the abuse from off-roading, to overloading, both of which the truck handled great. Why buy a Tacoma when esstentislly it does the exact same thing for a cheaper cost?
Sorry for my kind of long random rant. Enjoy the truck and don’t be afraid you’ll hurt it, because believe me the truck can take it!!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have to agree the back seats are laughably tight, I'm short and i find them uncomfortable, I also keep the front seat all the way back, I really don't know how anyone 6ft+ could drive one of these comfortably.
Same here. Though I sit bolt-upright. Or at least that's what I've been told. The seat is reclined, just not very far. Some 6+ members recline far back so they have headroom. I'd find that pretty uncomfortable.

However one big factor why I picked the Frontier is the short length of the short bed model - It is the only current gen crew cab truck that would fit in my garage.
Same here. The Frontier KC/6' bed and CC/5' bed are the shortest pickups in overall length that are currently available for sale as a new vehicle. A regular cab 6.5' bed full-size pickup is close to the same length, but then the width is a concern. Not only is the truck wider, but the doors are also longer. That would pose an issue in a tight garage.

In all honesty my nest trucks going to be a gmc regular cab with the 8 foot bed.
That's what I was thinking of for my next truck. The snowball effect happened because a RC/8' bed, EC/6.5' bed, and CC/5.5' bed are all exactly the same, or at least within a couple inches of, the same overall length. I'd only consider a preowned regular cab. They have less resale value than a crew cab, which is understandable. Crew cabs are way more popular and it's easier to add cargo space/racks/carriers/tow a trailer than add cab space.

I'd be okay with a regular cab if it had a bit more storage behind the seat. Most regular cabs can fit a row of 20lb bags of charcoal. The Toyota Tundra regular cab has 20" of flat floor space behind the seat.

That's what led me to the Frontier. In the same footprint as a regular cab 6.5' bed full-size pickup, I have a back seat. Or in my case, more cab storage.

Had a truck with an 8' bed for about 4 years. In that time, I filled up the 8' bed twice. In all actuality, I could carry everything I carried in the 8' bed in the Frontier's 5' bed with a bit of containerization.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Hopefully this helps someone out who might come across this in the future while deciding what truck to get. Congratulations on the new Frontier! Glad you got something that fits your needs. If my Frontier got crushed by a tree tonight, I'd get a KC/6' bed, preferably Pro-4X. I'd still have DOT-legal rear seats for emergency use, which a full size regular cab doesn't have, and a 6' bed. In the 3 years I've had the Frontier, having that extra 12" of bed would've been way more handy for me than a bigger back seat.

Reactions: The_Fern89

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man! I feel sorry for you tall guys. I’m only 5’7 and my seat isn’t close to being all the way back. Thanks for all your guy's insight on how the truck has been for you guys.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I drive with the seat all the way back and it is comfortable for me, feels just right. But I do remember riding in the back of one before actually owning a 2nd gen Frontier (a Friend's Frontier) and it did feel very tight, as if the back seat space of crew cabs were really meant for kids or small persons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts