Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Frontier fan for a long time and have now taken the plunge. I sold a VW car to get back into trucks. The 2020 retains the old, simple body style which I want, rugged understated interior, but with the new V6 and 9 speed transmission of the 2021. After a week of testing under different conditions, I am in love with this truck. I have formerly owned Chevy, Ford and Mazda trucks, and this is the best of the lot. It is the right size, plenty of power, comfortable and not too much nonsense distracting techno jazz. It just feels right. Gas mileage is around 20mpg in mixed driving and I'm fine with that for such a sturdy little truck.

I look forward to learning from the members and perhaps contributing some too.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've been a Frontier fan for a long time and have now taken the plunge. I sold a VW car to get back into trucks. The 2020 retains the old, simple body style which I want, rugged understated interior, but with the new V6 and 9 speed transmission of the 2021. After a week of testing under different conditions, I am in love with this truck. I have formerly owned Chevy, Ford and Mazda trucks, and this is the best of the lot. It is the right size, plenty of power, comfortable and not too much nonsense distracting techno jazz. It just feels right. Gas mileage is around 20mpg in mixed driving and I'm fine with that for such a sturdy little truck.

Welcome! Post up a pic when you can. Starting to see a few members with 2020s finally (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey just got into a 2020 myself. Pro4x here, sorta wish though I had gone with the 4x4 SV though but that for personal preference. What do you think of the lower gears coming off of a stop? Find I need to give her some moderate acceleration otherwise 1 through 3 feels a bit hesitant and clunky

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey just got into a 2020 myself. Pro4x here, sorta wish though I had gone with the 4x4 SV though but that for personal preference. What do you think of the lower gears coming off of a stop? Find I need to give her some moderate acceleration otherwise 1 through 3 feels a bit hesitant and clunky
I've also noted (as have a couple of auto writers) a slight difference in the lower three gears holding just a a bit longer through acceleration (I'm talking fractions of a second here). I believe this is intentional and designed-in by the engineers to account for load when the truck is towing or weighed down with cargo. This is also a nine speed, versus the old 5 speed transmission which naturally held gears longer in the rev range. You want to have higher torque to get off the line and not have the truck hunting for gears. It's all quick to get through this when normal commuting and I don't envision a problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Pickup truck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've also noted (as have a couple of auto writers) a slight difference in the lower three gears holding just a a bit longer through acceleration (I'm talking fractions of a second here). I believe this is intentional and designed-in by the engineers to account for load when the truck is towing or weighed down with cargo. This is also a nine speed, versus the old 5 speed transmission which naturally held gears longer in the rev range. You want to have higher torque to get off the line and not have the truck hunting for gears. It's all quick to get through this when normal commuting and I don't envision a problem.
Yeah I don't see it being a problem either, test driving other midsized trucks like the ranger and colorado I never came across that issue. I obviously still went with the Frontier regardless, just a bit of character for the truck is all.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
This is the future for the Frontier line of trucks. Drive your 2020 long and hard for we need to know how the new engine and tranny work under real life conditions. I am concerned with carbon buildup on the valves because of the direct injection. But maybe this is only a VW thing and the new 3.8 L will have something else go bad. For those who know about the SMOD, it was caused by Nissan producing a cheap radiator. Maybe by 2022, there will be some 80k miles trucks which will provide a long footprint to examine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the future for the Frontier line of trucks. Drive your 2020 long and hard for we need to know how the new engine and tranny work under real life conditions. I am concerned with carbon buildup on the valves because of the direct injection. But maybe this is only a VW thing and the new 3.8 L will have something else go bad. For those who know about the SMOD, it was caused by Nissan producing a cheap radiator. Maybe by 2022, there will be some 80k miles trucks which will provide a long footprint to examine.
I had an F150 with the 3.5L that was DI. Ended up with a catch can in the end after doing a heavy clean on the valves, but that wasn't until 100,000ish. Would have the can full of oil by every 2500 /3000 miles. Given the time this engine is coming out I was a little surprised they didn't go with the hybrid of DI and I like a lot of other newer engines. Will be interesting to see though, never had the opportunity to drive a new design before, normally waited a year or two.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I had an F150 with the 3.5L that was DI. Ended up with a catch can in the end after doing a heavy clean on the valves, but that wasn't until 100,000ish. Would have the can full of oil by every 2500 /3000 miles. Given the time this engine is coming out I was a little surprised they didn't go with the hybrid of DI and I like a lot of other newer engines. Will be interesting to see though, never had the opportunity to drive a new design before, normally waited a year or two.
I can see the catch can mod as the first to do. Similar to the rear axle breather vent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts