Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know that the key for a Rogue that has the remote built into the key will work on our Frontiers,at least the 06.I'm sure it will work for others.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
It will work on a 2010, I did the change two weeks ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, did you just buy an aftermarket key off of eBay, and then take the truck and keys in to a dealer to have them programmed? Or did you get the key directly from a dealer, or somewhere else...

Now I'm going to look to see if the 2010 keyfobs are compatible with 2006.... if so, I should be golden. (And, I suppose, even if something does go wrong.... it's not going to bankrupt me if I can't get the key to work.) I lost one of my keys while I was moving between houses about a month ago. I'm paranoid about losing keys, so I want to replace it before I lose another. lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got the keys off ebay for around 50.00 a few weeks ago and had the key programed at a local locksmith who programed the key and cut it for like 40.00 I think. The dealers here were asking 110.00 to program and five dollars to cut plus they wanted to charge something like 25 dollars to recode the original remotes so all of them would work. I would have given the key away to someone before i would pay the amount the dealer wanted.
But I do like having the key and remote as one instead of two items on a key ring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rogue Key

Bought the key off eBay for my 2010 SE, reprogrammed it myself with instructions off the Internet. Just have not got it cut yet, locksmith do not work on weekends.

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.
2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.
3. Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.
4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.
5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).
6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.

Cost me $80 at a Lock Smith to program the key chip, then match up my original 2 keys. Could of broken into one of the keys and placed the chip in the Rogue key - but wanted to have 3 keys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did all of the above the fob works great locks unlocks everything. When I stick the key in the ignition it turns over starts all the auxiliraies, however when i try to turn the ignition over all I get is a click it does not start my car. Is this a bad cut or did I do something wrong. I bought a smart key fob off of ebay, just like the rest of you. I have an 09 frontier SE. I bought this key fob. Anyone know why it is not starting the car but doing everything else. I will post video of what happens later.

·
Registered
174 Posts
im pretty sure you still have to get a locksmith or the dealer to program the chip in the key for it to start. the above proceedure just programs the remote transmitters to work with the door locks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rogue Key

The only other option is cutting into one of your original keys and swapping the chips. The little chip is easy to see in the Rogue key since it opens up. About 2mm chip with no marking, almost rectangle in size. I did not want to destroy a key.
When you go to the locksmith and pay them to do it - you want to have all 3 keys with you. When he programs your new key, he needs to stick each one of them into the ignition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Works

Picked up a Nissan Rouge key off Ebay last week and got it programmed today after a long ordeal. When I bought my truck it only came with one key+fob set so I needed a spare for the wife. Also, having a lighter set of keys to carry around was definitely appealing.

I went to a local locksmith to have the key cut and programmed. They ended up stopping short while programming saying that they needed a pin number from the dealership. It was only a few blocks away so I headed over there and told them what I needed and the service rep looked at me with a blank stare. Fortunately my high school buddy works as service technician at that particular dealership, so I had the rep call him up.

Turns out they needed to connect this, that and the other and the programming would cost me $60.00. I opted out. Went back to the locksmith and paid them the $5.00 for cutting the key.

I went home and called up another locksmith, and after explaining the situation to the guy, he said it should be no problem. His tech meets me at my house earlier this evening to start the work. He hits a few bumps during the programming but after some guidance from his boss he gets the key programmed and the truck turns over.

After, I programmed the keyless entry following kenneyr's instructions (thanks a bunch). I had to do it a couple of times before getting the hang of it - the routine is very specific. So now, I have two sets of keys - an all-in-one, and the original key+fob set.

Here's the finished product:

All in all, I spent the following:

Rogue Key - 50.00
Getting the Key Cut - 5.00
Locksmith to program the key - 124.00
Total - 179.00

The first locksmith was going to charge me 50.00 but after going through a 1/2 day ordeal trying to get the damn thing out of my hair I was more than happy to shell out the extra cash. The only thing I can suggest is to find the most reputable locksmith in your area since they'll have the most experience on working on a wide range of vehicle makes and models.

Oh, and for proof, here's a vid of the key in action. Sorry for the low light. It was already dark by the time the locksmith was finished.

YouTube - Nissan Rouge Key Programmed for a 2006 Nissan Frontier

·
Registered
935 Posts
Much needed bump! I'm going to the dealership on Tues w/ a Rogue key (all keys and FOBs) for them to reprogram. They told me they've never done a Rouge key before, and not sure if I can be done. All I really need them for is the chip in the keys, but quoted me $70 for everything. Any problems you may forsee?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Much needed bump! I'm going to the dealership on Tues w/ a Rogue key (all keys and FOBs) for them to reprogram. They told me they've never done a Rouge key before, and not sure if I can be done. All I really need them for is the chip in the keys, but quoted me $70 for everything. Any problems you may forsee?
Make sure you actually need the transponder done! If not, you are just wasting your money as you can have the key cut anywhere, and program the fob yourself. If you don't have the factory alarm, chance are you have no transponder in your keys

·
Registered
935 Posts
I do have the alarm AND transponder. Just want to make sure I can get the Rogue transponder linked to my Frontier. The locksmith said they couldn't do it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I do have the alarm AND transponder. Just want to make sure I can get the Rogue transponder linked to my Frontier. The locksmith said they couldn't do it.
Okay, just wanted to give you a heads up as it seems that Nissan telles everyone that they need the keys programmed there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.