Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And not ask a dealership lol.

Hi y'all. Little about me. I drive mustangs. Lots of them over the years. I had an 05 xterra for awhile and loved it (SE 4x4). Now, after 8 years of driving 800+ bhp mustangs (current is a 15 50th with a whipple), I think i need something more practical. I drive to work and home, never use the HP, and have two other toys to play with (a factory five cobra replica and building a 5.0 whipple powered 33 ford right now). I am tired of borrowing trucks to run parts, pick up house project stuff, and craming kids into mustangs (me and my beautiful and understanding wife have 5 of them).

I am leaning towards a Pro 4x with the luxury package but I have a few things it won't have that I might want. I will probably put a PRG 2" lift and some bigger tires on it, just to make it a little bit different. Ill save my questions about other things (performance and remote start options for other threads after I search some. I actually wouldn't mind the luxury package but keep cloth seats! Plus, as I get older and think more towards less expensive vehicles. And I also like smaller vehicles (otherwise I would have an F150 5.0 and toss a supercharger on it also loL!) But that negates the trying to downsize in price also side.

But the change will be a big one for me. So I have lots of thinking to do before I commit. The good news is I am pretty much at a point where if I change my mind later, I could always trade it back in and still not be upside down lol!

So, anyway, Im going do some searches before I start asking questions! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I guess we have different definitions of what cheap means. :)

What are you willing to put up with for fuel economy? Had my Frontier about three weeks now and I'm getting ~16-17 miles per gallon with a bone-stock truck with camper shell. My other car is a '95 Impala SS and I get just about the same economy actually; I can't keep my foot out of it so I tend to get poor fuel economy.

With the '95 Hardbody trucks I used to have I got ~22 miles per gallon in the winter and ~20-21 in the summer with the air conditioning on. Both were four banger stick shifts though. Bought the Evil Twin for hauling yard waste and miscellaneous auto parts and the like, bought Good Twin when got a good price for it, both were inadequate when we had the baby so sacrificed my fuel economy, low bed height for easy loading, and lack of carpayment for safety and passenger space. If he hadn't had the kid I probably would not have replaced Good Twin, wouldn't have had a reason to as my wife has a 4x4 Jeep.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol twx. Yes, different peoples idea if cheap are different. While it’s not cheap, it is less than a 50k$ mustang with a 8k$ blower on it.

Mileage is not a huge deal to me. While I’d rather not get less than 15, I only drive about 10k miles a year. I work 16 miles from home and don’t work but 3-4 days a week usually. And that’s about the only place I go. There and church which is 2 miles. Other than that, i usually in the cobra. So yes, 16-18 would be good(and better than the mustang actually!). I drive like a grandpa normally haha. My 05 xterra got 16.5 avg so that’s ok.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Welcome, what is your questions/concerns?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Been there done that with mustangs. Had a 2001 Cobra with a t76 and also a 2012 5.0 with a Paxton 2200SL on e85. Fun cars but unreliable, and annoying to drive every day. I love my frontier. Was a great move, it’s awesome to have a truck available any time you need one. Plus you will still the two other toys. I would make the jump.

-Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
with 5 kids better buy a Titan Crew

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Or an NV3500 wagon... Apparently 4x4 conversion is a thing for those.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fun cars but unreliable, and annoying to drive every day.

Plus you will still the two other toys.
The 01 cobra I dunno about but the supercharged 5.0’s are very reliable, and your right. Mucho fun. And yes, the other toys def are more fun though even though not as fast.

Haha! I thought about it, but I’m not a fan of big trucks. The oldest two are out and gone (20 and 18) so just the last three (11, 6 and 8 months) are my concern. If anyone knows what causes those kids to keep showing up, please tell me... haha

Welcome, what is your questions/concerns?

After searching, the two biggest ones I have left are:
1) is there a way to do a remote start without carrying around another key fob. It seems the factory alarm interferes with aftermarket remote start options and they don’t like to work together from what I’m reading? Is there a “this is what to do” option?

2) does anyone offer a supercharger setup? Preferably a positive displacement style? I emailed stillen but got a great big “no and we ain’t making one” but I know there are stuff for the 370z and this is nearly the same motor. Has any shops perfected it that anyone knows of?

3) or if no SC, how well do these do with retunes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
... I am tired of borrowing trucks to run parts, pick up house project stuff, and craming kids into mustangs (me and my beautiful and understanding wife have 5 of them).

I am leaning towards a Pro 4x with the luxury package but I have a few things it won't have that I might want. I will probably put a PRG 2" lift and some bigger tires on it, just to make it a little bit different. Ill save my questions about other things (performance and remote start options for other threads after I search some. I actually wouldn't mind the luxury package but keep cloth seats! Plus, as I get older and think more towards less expensive vehicles. And I also like smaller vehicles (otherwise I would have an F150 5.0 and toss a supercharger on it also loL!) But that negates the trying to downsize in price also side...
As commented your not gonna cram 6 humans no matter their size into the 5-belt 4-door Crew Cab but how regularly would you need or ever want to do that? Also if your looking for a "utility" truck the only way your gonna get a P4X with the 6-foot long bed is to get the King Cab which has 4-belt Jump Seats and only suitable for small children. My vote would be to get the SV Crew Cab Long Bed with the Value Truck Package option as it gets you MOST or the P4X luxury options but no leather. Many of the long bed SV come with the Moonroof option so that's another luxury item to dress up the appearance too...

Add a Roof-Rack and a few stickers or graphics and you couldn't tell the difference between a P4X and an SV...

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
... I drive like a grandpa normally haha. My 05 xterra got 16.5 avg so that’s ok.
If by your own admission you drive like Grandpa would you consider dropping crazy cash for a blower package on what is to be sensible/practical but still cool and off road capable truck?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If by your own admission you drive like Grandpa would you consider dropping crazy cash for a blower package on what is to be sensible/practical but still cool and off road capable truck?

Because every now and then grandpa likes to get down lol! I believe in “I want” is better justification than trying to justify something that’s you really don’t need.

As commented your not gonna cram 6 humans no matter their size into the 5-belt 4-door Crew Cab but how regularly would you need or ever want to do that? Also if your looking for a "utility" truck the only way your gonna get a P4X with the 6-foot long bed is to get the King Cab which has 4-belt Jump Seats and only suitable for small children. My vote would be to get the SV Crew Cab Long Bed with the Value Truck Package option as it gets you MOST or the P4X luxury options but no leather. Many of the long bed SV come with the Moonroof option so that's another luxury item to dress up the appearance too...

Add a Roof-Rack and a few stickers or graphics and you couldn't tell the difference between a P4X and an SV...

Hmm. That sounds like a doable option. I’ll def have to look into that a little deeper. The long bed is not necessary. The crew cab is. As I said before, I only have 3 kids left at home so 5 spots is actually perfect. No leather actually works. What would be lost other than leather, bilstein shocks and locking diff?

·
Registered
544 Posts
In my opinion once you take out the 3 items you mentioned not much at all is missing...

BASE SV
SV 4-cylinder includes S equipment plus:
• 16" Aluminum-alloy wheels with
P265/70R16 mud- and snow-rated
all-season tires
• Body-color front bumper
• Bed rail caps
• NissanConnectSM with Mobile Apps
• Hands-free text messaging assistant
• AM/FM/CD audio system with 5.0"
color display
• SiriusXM® Satellite Radio5
• USB connection port for iPod® interface
and other compatible devices
• Streaming audio via Bluetooth® wireless
technology
• Remote keyless entry
• Tilt steering column
• Power door locks and windows
• Sliding rear window
• Sun visors with vanity mirrors and extension
SV V6 includes SV 4-cyl. equipment plus:
• 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6
• 6-speed manual transmission
Crew Cab adds:
• Four full-size doors with seating for five

Value Truck Package:
RearView Monitor and Rear Sonar System
Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC)
Six speakers (King Cab® only)
Auto-dimming rearview mirror, digital compass, and outside temperature display
Factory-applied spray-on bedliner
Utili-track® Channel System with 4 tie-down cleats
Fog lights
Vehicle Security System
Heated front seats, carpeted floor

BASE P4X
Includes SV V6 equipment plus:
• Bilstein® off-road performance shocks
• Electronic locking rear differential
• Clutch start/cancel (MT only)
• Skid plates
• 16" Aluminum-alloy wheels
• P265/75R16 mud- and snow-rated
all-terrain tires
• Automatic on/off headlights and fog lights
• Utili-track® Channel System
• Factory-applied spray-on bedliner
• Satin chrome grille and body-color
rear bumper
• PRO-4X® bedside decal
• SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link®
• Nissan Navigation System with 5.8" color
touch-screen monitor and voice recognition
• RearView Monitor and Rear Sonar System
• Auto-dimming rearview mirror
• Multi-function trip computer
• Dual Zone Automatic Temp. Control
• PRO-4X® embroidered cloth seat trim
• 8-way manual driver’s seat
• Heated front seats
• White-faced gauges
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Crew Cab adds:
• Four full-size doors with seating for five
• Rockford Fosgate®-powered audio system

PLUS LUXURY PACKAGE
PRO-4X® embroidered leather-appointed seats
8-way power adjustable driver’s seat
4-way power adjustable front-passenger’s seat
Heated outside mirrors
Rear fold-down center armrest
Power sliding glass moonroof
Roof rack with crossbars

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Tee. Gives me another option to look into. Part of me wants the pro4x just to have it. I’ll have to weigh that.

Do the pro 4x and sv 4x4 ride much different?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So buy a base Crew Cab Pro-4X and skip the Luxury Package...

Now that I look at the packages, that might work just fine. I may give dealership colors I want and then take whatever they find in pro 4x with or without luxury package.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
To resurrect this, doesn't the SV with the Value Package add th 10-speaker stereo system?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts