Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, names Daniel current owner of an 05 Frontier Nismo. From Portland Oregon. Nice to be here with you folks !

Have a cooling system question if anyone could help it would be much apprechiated.

Truck is overheating at Idle, ive tried flushing radiator, new caps (18lb caps) and a new thermostat... truck isnt showing signs of dirty oil or white smoke out the tailpipe. Not sure where to go from here. It runs fine a few days then one day starts getting hot at idle then starts leaking coolant out of the overflow on the resivour. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
844 Posts
Did you put the caps in the correct spot (I know, this is a basic thing, but sometimes people mix up the caps)? Did you burp the coolant system?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its got the same caps so I dont see how you could get it wrong right ? Dripping alot of condensation from the drain in heater-core, is this normal ? Clutch on the fan kicks into high and low so I dont think its that. Flushed the radiator and heater core tonight see what that does.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Frontier gen 2 radiator caps are different than most vehicles. The solid or non pressure cap goes on radiator and the pressure cap goes on reservoir!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I dont know what to do anymore Ive tried everthing its running about an 8th below half most of the time. Last night I went through a drive through and the needle started climbing and the next thing I know im almost in the red. Then the second I take off and get the rpms up and some airflow it drops back down to normal again... then if I go back to and idle for a few minutes its goes thru the roof again.

It only does this if I drive it a fair distance though 2-3 miles to work im ok. But a 20min drive on the freeway and then pull into somewhere and idle for a few mins or hit some stop and go traffic and it goes thru the roof.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The burp tank is deceiving, it looks full but may not be. Do you hear gurgling sounds under your dash while stopped at lights, do you get heat from the heater???? These trucks can be difficult to properly burp due to the location of motor, radiator and burp tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No but I do after I turn it off. Is there a burb valve to open and bleed air or is it just done thru caps ?

It does *

1 - 9 of 9 Posts