Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I just bought a used '07 LE Crew Cab 4x4 with 116K miles. Some minor dents, a little worn and dirty but otherwise in pretty good shape. I never even drove a Nissan until tonight...man, does that thing get up and go.
I sold an '04 Jeep Rubicon I bought new and over the years modified it to the point we just finally plain outgrew each other and needed something a little more practical.
I'm 57 years old, retired Air Force and live in Spokane WA.
I plan on leaving it stock.. my short term goals besides change all the fluids are a tonneau cover and seat covers.
Hope to learn a lot here and get to know you all.

Registered
Welcome to the forum...and thank you for your service! 馃嵒

Not trying to scare you but one thing you need to investigate ASAP on your truck if you have an automatic transmission is your radiator situation. The flawed stock radiators of that year model were famous for cross contaminating the coolant and the transmission fluid and killing the automatic transmission...a very costly issue that can be avoided if aware of.

Search 'strawberry milkshake of death' for all the info you need on it. There's a good chance that it has already been addressed on your truck as most of those radiators were swapped out or bypassed...but you would want to make sure to avoid any costly repairs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum...and thank you for your service! 馃嵒

Not trying to scare you but one thing you need to investigate ASAP on your truck if you have an automatic transmission is your radiator situation. The flawed stock radiators of that year model were famous for cross contaminating the coolant and the transmission fluid and killing the automatic transmission...a very costly issue that can be avoided if aware of.

Search 'strawberry milkshake of death' for all the info you need on it. There's a good chance that it has already been addressed on your truck as most of those radiators were swapped out or bypassed...but you would want to make sure to avoid any costly repairs.
Thank you for giving me something else to worry about... er, I mean the warning ;)

Since there were no service records or anything for that matter included with this truck, I went to a dealer today to find out what I could as far as recalls etc. I found out the transmission and radiator were replaced at 99,839 miles and then the transmission again at 100,005 miles in 2016.
I might be in luck and someone else had to deal with the SMOD but I may look into doing the separate trans cooler in the future... I just don't have time right now.

Registered
Awesome...that's good news! Well maybe not so much for the previous guy but good for you anyways. I've heard a new radiator is all that is needed to keep that from happening again but I think like you do...so I probably also would just get a separate transmission cooler just to get the 2 fluids away from each other so it's guaranteed not to happen again.

Registered
You can always stick a screwdriver or something into your radiator or overflow tank and see how it comes out. I just changed out my radiator, overflow tank and hoses and did a drain and refill of my tranny (I have a 2006 automatic). I also did the bypass.

Registered
Hey welcome, thank you for your service!
I have an 07 LE 190K had This truck since new. You should already have a separate trans cooler on your truck, I bypassed mine at about 50K and replaced the radiator hoses at 150k I left bypass in place.
i have run Mobil 1 oils since new, now I use the high mileage Mobil 1 10 W 30. Just did timing chains And the guides last year At 180K. still runs perfect .... Great truck in my opinion good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts