Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
This forum seems to be a great place to hangout, I'm looking forward to being a part of it.

I bought a 2004 XE 2WD model used about a year and a half ago as my first vehicle purchase. After having bought it, I did the usual routine maintenance: Fluids, filter, brakes, tires. Shortly after buying it, I found all the little things you find buying an older well used car, like nicks, dings and odd aftermarket stuff. The engine appears bullet-proof and I loved learning stick.

When I first got it, I heard belt squeal 2 or three times over the course of the first month, this problem came back again recently so I will be replacing all the belts. The AC quit soon after I got it too, found out the AC clutch has no continuity through the coil. I figured that I would just replace the clutch while I do the belts, but it appears that I would need to buy a whole new compressor. I'm not readily willing to buy a $100 compressor and take it to a shop to have them do it. Any help on that front would be amazing.

The people who owned it before me cut a corner out of the factory bedliner to install a overhead rack. I had to pull the remants of that out so I could use my bedcover. I think as a result of that modification, water got trapped under the bedliner and aided in rusting the bed out. My plan is to cut a good section of bed out of a scrap truck and weld it in, and patch the other smaller holes.

The real bad repairs appears to be the center driveshaft bearing boot and this aluminum cover/sensor housing (I'm not sure what it is) that is mounted on the differential.

The center bearing has been like this since I bought it to my knowledge, and the aluminum bit started squeaking a couple months after purchase.
The bearing kit runs nearly $140 on nissanpartsdeal.com and I can't find the replacement aluminum part. I really don't want to have to drop and rebuild the diff if I can help it.

It's nice little truck and I am looking forward to putting another 200k miles on it.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Welcome Skybird0,
The sensor housing is your VSS - vehicle speed sensor and I also believe is tied to the ABS if you have it. If not, its just straight-up vehicle speed. There's a tone ring on the end of the pinion shaft.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rock auto has driveshaft center supports starting at $15.00, though I wouldn’t buy one of those. However, they sell National for under $70.
I buy a ton of parts from rock auto for myself, kids, neighbors, etc. I’ve never been disappointed.
Good luck with your truck. Enjoy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! @RyanD1966 that seems to be it. Is it possible to service it without removing the differential and axle?
@Zogg Thanks for the tip. I figure I'll go ahead and replace it since it seems worn out.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Thanks for the replies! @RyanD1966 that seems to be it. Is it possible to service it without removing the differential and axle?
@Zogg Thanks for the tip. I figure I'll go ahead and replace it since it seems worn out.
Skybird, can't honestly say, I've got a second Gen and never owned a first. That axle's completely different. Hopefully one of the first Gen boys'll ring in.

Reactions: Skybird0
1 - 6 of 6 Posts