Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Sony CDX-GT400 arrived last week and I got it installed yesterday. I like it a very much. Sounds great (although my experience is pretty much limited to stock car stereos) with the Pioneer speakers I put in (detailed in this thread. It has quite a few handy features and the interface is extremely convenient. It comes with 7 different display colors (3 or so shades of blue, 2 of green, 1 purple 1 red) but before I bought it I could find no information on what those 7 colors were. I bought it sort of assuming that one of the colors would be amber to match the Frontier's interior, but no such luck. Fortunately, it does have a nice red display which blends in pretty well.:

(the display is obviously much nicer and consistent, and redder than the photograph portrays. The photograph isn't the best quality, but then it was taken with my cell phone...).

My only complaint is that gap that you see between the head unit and the pocket that was provided by Crutchfield. There doesn't appear to be any way to mount it any lower (but then I would probably end up with a gap at the top). Anyone have any suggestions? I much prefer having the radio in the lower position. I know it's only a matter of a few inches but It comes much more readiliy to hand there.

Michael Brock
2006 Frontier KC SE 4x2 in Storm Gray

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks good! Too bad the colors don't match, but red is better than green or blue!

No way you can use/modify the plastic frame that comes with the deck to cover up the gap? I plan on getting a head unit later this year...waiting for some with built in bluetooth, probably the Alpine with the bluetooth AI unit later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contacted Crutchfield regarding this gap (and the possibility of needing to put the pocket at the bottom) and they explained:

"Ocassionally there will be a small gap when performing an ISO mount using the factory mounting brackets and in this case we do have a trim ring designed to help the aesthetics of the installation. I will be sending one of these out to you on the next available shipment. The pocket should not need to be moved although you can try it either way when you receive the trim ring. "

That is great service! I'm more than happy that I purchased my "stuff" through them. I'm curious to see what they send.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was wondering....I was told that replacing the head unit will cause the air bag light to turn on. Is this true, did it happen to you, if so how do you fix it. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It did not happen to me. But I have seen it reported in threads here and elsewhere. My general understanding is:

To remove/change the head unit you have to remove the trim piece that fits around the stereo and includes the heater controls and the air bag light. If you remove the plug from the air bag light so that you can move the trim piece out of the way (I saw somewhere that it happens only if the ignition is on) you can get the light to stay on (or blink...don't rememeber which). The fix is relatively easy though and posted here pretty often.

When I did my install I disconnected the battery, just in case and had no problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll look at the other postings also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update. I received the trim piece from Crutchfield today. Could hardly get here any faster considering I called them about it yesterday, of course it helps that I'm only 100 miles away from their warehouse in Charlottesville, VA. The piece is identiifed as "Universal Plastic Trim Ring" and is basically a flat rectangular "ring" that fits around the front of the head-unit but behind the surrounding trim of the dash. It was a quick install and covers that gap very nicely. I'm happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts