Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After having a 1996 Ranger with wheel bearing and alignment issues, a 1978 Chevy C20 with engine issues, it was finally time to get into something reliable. 3 weeks ago I picked up a 2011 Frontier KC SV, 4.0L, 6-speed manual. It's got about 84,000 miles on it, but is in excellent condition! This will serve as the daily driver and trail toy, which I've just recently been getting into. Yesterday was my first time taking it out, we went to The Mounds ORV Park in Mt Morris, MI. I went with a Blazer ZR2 with wider wheels, 31's, and a mild lift, a lifted Wrangler with 5.3 LS swap, and my old Ranger STX. The Frontier held it's own and never got stuck, and drove laps around the equally stock Ranger. I didn't quite have the guts to try as many of the trails as the Blazer or Wrangler since they are more prepped, and have given up on their paint jobs. It was also my first time driving off road, I'm mostly a road race enthusiast. I only suffered some rear bumper damage from bottoming out on large ruts, so I may make a steel bumper this winter. I'm thinking of making a bumper similar to the Calmini tube bumper, but offsetting the license plate to one side, integrating a hitch receiver in the center, and running tube supports from the hitch receiver back to the frame mounts for triangulation. I think I would also cover the space in between the upper and lower tube with 1/8" steel so it's not as open and pre-runner looking.

Since I'm sure there's a lot of gearheads here, my road car is a 1999 Miata that's currently under the knife for an LS1 swap. I have gone through the stages of trying to maximize naturally aspirated power, turbocharging, and finally realized that to make the build truly a beast while being reliable, an LS1 swap was the best solution. I'm at the point where I have the engine mounted, and the trans tunnel clearanced for the engine and trans. Now it's onto mounting all accessories in the engine bay, wiring it up, pulling everything apart and painting the bay. Then mounting the new Cadillac CTS rear differential, and final buttoning up of wiring, fuel, interior, etc. This will be mostly geared towards a track car, and depending on how I can live with driving a triple disc clutch in a car that has no carpet, lots of heat, and lots of noise will determine how much I plan on driving it on the street.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Show the army boys how it's done. It's cool out there. If you time it right you can see them do strafing runs and see the artillery fire stuff off. I did have the fronty on top of a hill they couldn't get a hummer up. South side of town is tuffer than the north side. I do need to get up there before it snows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts