Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up everyone? I wanted to stop by and introduce myself in case there are any like-minded individuals around my area to link up with. Beyond that, I'll be contributing where I can to this community.

Interests
Local trails, weekend adventures, yellow-post/wild camping, couples camping, maintenance/mod buddy​
Biography
  • Former Marine with a tour to Afghanistan. Nothing spectacular, my war stories are humble. I was logistics/supply so I was on convoys taking gear to the real heros and badasses. But I'm incredibly proud to be a veteran and a gah dang American.
  • IT Engineer for 8+ years as a day job. By no means is it my passion but it's great passion fuel.
  • My girlfriend loves adventuring and camping, I got lucky there she's a keeper!
  • Whiskey, beer, sunshine, campfires = Life
Previous Rides, in order
  • 93' 240SX 2JZ-GTE Single-Turbo converted (673 rwhp on E85, thanks to Afghan pay!)
  • 12' Kawasaki 636 converted into a track bike
  • 13' Scion FRS
  • 14' Dodge Challenger SRT8
  • 13' Tacoma Baja TX
  • 17' Tesla Model S
  • 18' Audi S3
  • 2003 F350 7.3 Powerstroke
  • 19 Volvo S60 T6-R (fully autonomous driving, turbo & supercharged!)
  • 20' Pro4X Frontier (back to the basics and couldn't be happier)
Running Mods List
  • Diff Breather Relocation (Gorilla Offroad)
  • Sway bar removal (I'd like to find or fab some antirocks at some point)
  • Mud Flaps removed
  • Complete LED overhaul by Diode Dynamics (720 lumen options wherever possible)
  • Squadron Sport Wide Cornering ditch lights by Baja Design (Coming soon)
  • Rock Slides (Soon, TBD)
My thoughts on mods is to take things extremely slow and get what I need not what I want until I truly learn the truck.

I've always been a motor head and wasted a LOT of money. Almost every car above was purchase brand new. I enjoyed having the ability to buy these and the journey of driving them all. Ultimately, I had a lot of fun in the cars but truly regret selling the trucks. For what it's worth, the Volvo was my favorite car out of all the cars. Fully autonomous plus almost 400hp tuned with a supercharger and turbo was tons of fun but could also get 35.5mpg and drive itself down the highway.

Super happy to be back in something humble, and sturdy. I think I'm also slightly partial to the D40 because I saw a lot of them in Afghanistan.

Lytle Creek, CA

GF having a blast white knuckling us around Lytle Creek lol

Question for YOU to kick this thread off. What rock sliders and front bumper would you recommend and in particular, why?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome dude, we have the same truck! Here I am counting all the things that annoy me about my new ride and youre out there off roading and enjoying it all. Good for you. I had a 2012 pro4x back in the day and sold it to pay down some debt, then I regurted it later. Almost bought a 2020 Ram Tradesman but heard about the ZF issues and passed on it. Then I found out my favorite old Frontier got a new motor/tranny so I was like hey if I can get 24 mpg and also haul stuff, FnA why not, so I traded my car and went for broke. Now Im tryin to get used to the odd shifting, bouncy highway ride but other than that I like it. Its a no nonsense platform and the extra power is great. Anyway, have fun wheeling with your lady friend dude!
Phew yeah doesn't seem the Rams are doing too well! Just today another one died while off-road with only 2,000 miles. A former raptor owner too lol. I want Ram to do well, I really like the looks of their trucks. Very American style IMO, bold, aggressive, no bubbly curvy nonsense. I fully regret selling my tacoma.. It was 100% paid off but I sold it for the Tesla which was a hell of an experience so I can't fully regret it. Tesla gets old though, after the first impressions wear off it's just meh. You start to miss what you don't have... which brings me to the next point...
I've learned through my auto journey that you will always find what is not there no matter what car. A lambo daily driven you would complain about the attention, and the constant anxiety and the gas mileage and the stiff suspension. I took a really expensive journey to realize that while the cars are fun, these trucks are memory generators and ultimately that's what feels the best, and means the most. Hope that helps you enjoy tomorrows ride a little more :) Plan something for the weekend! There's one of the reasons you got that beauty.

Nice truck, how did you like the s3? I’ve been lurking on them for months but haven’t pulled the trigger.
Loved it. Can't say everyone around me did though... Turns you into a complete baboon every time you see a tunnel. Exhaust + APR tune crackle + dual clutch system, I think only my 240 has put a bigger smile on my face. The cockpit is a bit 'tight' both in size and feel. The seats are bolstered well (Volvo R-Design had the best seats, even better than Tesla) but it's a damn stiff leather. The haldex AWD system performed well for a sports car but at big bear...well, volvo and subaru significantly out perform it.
Overall, if I could have both a truck and a car, I'd probably go back to audi. Just do me a favor and try driving a Volvo R-Design or Polestar before you pull the trigger. It may not be for you, but I promise it won't be what you think either way.

·
Premium Member
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 6MT (2019)
61 Posts
Welcome to the forums, @4XVentures! I used to live out in California near Anaheim myself, so I'm familiar with the area. I'm currently in Mesa, AZ, but whenever the pandemic finally cools off and travel is encouraged once again, maybe we can trailblaze together at some point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forums, @4XVentures! I used to live out in California near Anaheim myself, so I'm familiar with the area. I'm currently in Mesa, AZ, but whenever the pandemic finally cools off and travel is encouraged once again, maybe we can trailblaze together at some point.
Hell yeah man I hear AZ has some really good stuff. When I first visited the Grand Canyon I kept running into people and all they would talk about was Flagstaff and general off-roading/overlanding being good in Arizona.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Hell yeah man I hear AZ has some really good stuff. When I first visited the Grand Canyon I kept running into people and all they would talk about was Flagstaff and general off-roading/overlanding being good in Arizona.
Indeed. I highly recommend you check out Sedona if you ever want to head back up to this neck of the woods. Simply gorgeous vistas of natural rock formation that goes on forever. Great off roading trails around there too, plus excellent restaurants when you want to head back into town, lol.

Do you have any plans for mods on your baby? I plan on keeping my Frontier mostly stock for now, but I may explore painting mine with Rhino-liner for that extra level of durability. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed. I highly recommend you check out Sedona if you ever want to head back up to this neck of the woods. Simply gorgeous vistas of natural rock formation that goes on forever. Great off roading trails around there too, plus excellent restaurants when you want to head back into town, lol.

Do you have any plans for mods on your baby? I plan on keeping my Frontier mostly stock for now, but I may explore painting mine with Rhino-liner for that extra level of durability. :)
LOL yes, I know Sedona quite well thanks to Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 lol oh when I look back at 2020 it was quite the SIM year between racing and flying and not getting outside much. Hence the Frontier purchase directly after!

Absofuckinlutely I do. But much like your wisdom I'm going to keep it stock until I get stuck and need something specific. I want to really feel the limits of the truck as-is then upgrade when needed. Right now I'm focusing on
  • Ditch Lights ASAP, really need these on night solo trips through some of these tight trails
  • Rock Sliders
  • Front Bumper (desert style for highest clearance most likely. Not a fan of big bulk ARB's on this in particular
  • Handheld winch to help others and inspire confidence when solo
  • Saving up for camper trailer. I want to go all out, something like a hard shell so if it's windy as hell I can actually sleep and not have the tent walls smacking around. I also want the ability to simply drop camp and lock it down. This way I can setup camp early then go adventure and come back at night with minimal setup needed.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
LOL yes, I know Sedona quite well thanks to Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 lol oh when I look back at 2020 it was quite the SIM year between racing and flying and not getting outside much. Hence the Frontier purchase directly after!

Absofuckinlutely I do. But much like your wisdom I'm going to keep it stock until I get stuck and need something specific. I want to really feel the limits of the truck as-is then upgrade when needed. Right now I'm focusing on
  • Ditch Lights ASAP, really need these on night solo trips through some of these tight trails
  • Rock Sliders
  • Front Bumper (desert style for highest clearance most likely. Not a fan of big bulk ARB's on this in particular
  • Handheld winch to help others and inspire confidence when solo
  • Saving up for camper trailer. I want to go all out, something like a hard shell so if it's windy as hell I can actually sleep and not have the tent walls smacking around. I also want the ability to simply drop camp and lock it down. This way I can setup camp early then go adventure and come back at night with minimal setup needed.
I like your list of ideas. :)

And for the record, I appreciate the fact that you "went back to the basics". I snapped up my 2019 Frontier, because I knew deep down this venerable classic wasn't going to stay old-school for much longer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like your list of ideas. :)

And for the record, I appreciate the fact that you "went back to the basics". I snapped up my 2019 Frontier, because I knew deep down this venerable classic wasn't going to stay old-school for much longer.
Opted for a new heart but trust the old soul (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Disconnected the swaybar today! Going to head up to Santiago Peak and see how much more comfortable it is. Has anyone had issues with no swaybar on stock bilsteins? I drive pretty slow anyways so I'm not worried about the street safety/performance factor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whats the advantage of disco'ing the swaybar?
Honestly it's so easy to take off you may as well just disconnect it and decide for yourself. Everyone's going to have their own opinion. Mine is...

After tonight I can definitely say I won't be putting the sway bar back on. The difference is night and day. Basically it takes away some stiffness up front and allows your suspension to articulate indipendently of each other.

The biggest thing I noticed is not being throw around left to right as much. Off road, the cabin felt level and less bounce side to side. On the road it feels smoooooth. I didn't notice a problem with highway turns. You feel some lean but it felt fun to me I never felt worried. It's kind of funny to throw the truck left right left right. It feels like how boats turn and dip down to a side.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome! Can confirm once you lift with sturdier coils the sway bars gotta go! My lady friend also enjoys camping and the outdoors though she loathes the stress of driving even light trails. More dirt for me 😁

Not to jack the thread, but I just closed on a house in Mesa. Dope fish are you on any of the frontier or nissan AZ clubs on facebook? Let's get an AZ run together!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome! Can confirm once you lift with sturdier coils the sway bars gotta go! My lady friend also enjoys camping and the outdoors though she loathes the stress of driving even light trails. More dirt for me 😁

Not to jack the thread, but I just closed on a house in Mesa. Dope fish are you on any of the frontier or nissan AZ clubs on facebook? Let's get an AZ run together!
:cry:

😂(y)

·
Premium Member
61 Posts

Hey there. I'm actually lacking a social media presence. That said, I live on the east side of Mesa just a few minutes from Apache Junction. I'd be down with linking up for a trail blaze sometime. PM me sometime here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's up everyone? I wanted to stop by and introduce myself in case there are any like-minded individuals around my area to link up with. Beyond that, I'll be contributing where I can to this community.

Interests
Local trails, weekend adventures, yellow-post/wild camping, couples camping, maintenance/mod buddy​
Biography
  • Former Marine with a tour to Afghanistan. Nothing spectacular, my war stories are humble. I was logistics/supply so I was on convoys taking gear to the real heros and badasses. But I'm incredibly proud to be a veteran and a gah dang American.
  • IT Engineer for 8+ years as a day job. By no means is it my passion but it's great pay and time off for the passions.
  • 2020 Pro4X, decided to cash in on the great prices for an older model with the newer heart but I absolutely love the front end of the new frontier.
  • My girlfriend loves adventuring and camping, I got lucky there she's a keeper!
  • Primarily into working out, eating right, and enjoying the road less traveled...unless it like a rubicon trail then I back tf out real quick :)
Previous Rides, in order
  • 93' 240SX 2JZ-GTE Single-Turbo converted (673 rwhp on E85, thanks to Afghan pay!)
  • 13' Scion FRS
  • 13' Tacoma Baja TX
  • 17' Tesla Model S
  • 18' Audi S3

I've always been a motor head and wasted a LOT of money. Almost every car above was purchase brand new. I enjoyed having the ability to buy these and the journey of driving them all. Ultimately, I had a lot of fun in the cars but truly regret selling the trucks. For what it's worth, the Volvo was my favorite car out of all the cars. Fully autonomous plus almost 400hp tuned with a supercharger and turbo was tons of fun but could also get 35.5mpg and drive itself down the highway.

Super happy to be back in something humble, and sturdy. I think I'm also slightly partial to the D40 because I saw a lot of them in Afghanistan.

Lytle Creek, CA
View attachment 328108

View attachment 328109

Question for YOU to kick this thread off. What rock sliders and front bumper would you recommend?

Interests
Biography
  • IT Engineer for 8+ years as a day job. By no means is it my passion but it's great pay and time off for the passions.
  • 2020 Pro4X, decided to cash in on the great prices for an older model with the newer heart but I absolutely love the front end of the new frontier.
  • Primarily into working out, eating right, and enjoying the road less traveled...unless it like a rubicon trail then I back tf out real quick :)
Previous Rides, in order
  • 13' Scion FRS
  • 13' Tacoma Baja TX
  • 17' Tesla Model S
  • 18' Audi S3

Lytle Creek, CA
View attachment 328108

View attachment 328109

Question for YOU to kick this thread off. What rock sliders and front bumper would you recommend?

Interests
Biography
Previous Rides, in order
  • 13' Scion FRS
  • 13' Tacoma Baja TX
  • 17' Tesla Model S
  • 18' Audi S3

Lytle Creek, CA
View attachment 328108

View attachment 328109

Hey! Welcome to the Frontier fam. I’m in the Orange County area and frequent Lytle Creek area, Anza and nearby areas when I can. Nice to see another Frontier in the area that actually sees dirt. Lol. I have some White Knuckle off-road sliders. Haven’t been tested yet but they sure do look good.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Welcome and Thank You for Your Service.
I'd been vacillating between sliders and bash plates, finally ended up going with a full HeftyFab set minus the fuel tank, which the OE tank skid appeared to be pretty good and is not hanging down that low. Wanted full protection for all the spinny oily bits underneath ( engine and transmission oil pans and the transfer case housing ), so this fit the bill. Not cheap, opted for aluminium which upped the price quite a bit but dropped the weight to only 36#. I can live with that, don't even notice they're there as far as acceleration and braking.
Bilstein lift coming next, have a brand-new set of 6112s waiting for the weather to break. 2" up should help a bit with break-over angles and trail "teeth".

Reactions: 4XVentures

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey! Welcome to the Frontier fam. I’m in the Orange County area and frequent Lytle Creek area, Anza and nearby areas when I can. Nice to see another Frontier in the area that actually sees dirt. Lol. I have some White Knuckle off-road sliders. Haven’t been tested yet but they sure do look good.
Heading up to Lytle Creek this weekend if you're in the area!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts