Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I"m in the market for a new truck, and just recently the Frontier caught my attention due to its affordability. I'm joining as part of my research into the truck. I'm looking into either a low mileage 17 year model, or a ym 18. The Desert Runner seems pretty nice too. I've got two questions I want to hit y'all up with from the start -

What should I know about this truck? I'm decent with a wrench, so don't be shy to get technical with me. For starters - does the 2x4 come with posi-trac? I would think it does, but I'm not sure with just how budget these trucks are.

What's your relationship with your local dealership shop? Do they still treat you right once you've got the vehicle?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I had the sales manager pair me up with the "Salesman of the year" for 2017, so I thought alright - maybe I'm off to a decent start with a guy who can talk to me and tell me about this thing. He told me the 2x4 trucks are front wheel drive. Now, I haven't had a chance to look under the hood yet because I was in a hurry....but he's just full of crap, right? No way....right? I asked him if he was sure 3 times, and he reassured me each time telling me it was one of the things he likes best about the truck because of the way it handles with FWD. Yea....I think that's that salesman of the year kicking in.

Then, he tells me that we're test driving the mid range model, but the higher end model has full 360 degree wrap around impact sensors that alert you if you're about to hit something. That part COULD be true, but again - I'm not sure that I believe it. Was he just in salesman mode again?

Ok, one last thing and I'll be back on later - I'm reading a LOT of complaints about the transmission cooler going out before the truck hits 100,000 miles. Is this really that common? Is there an aftermarket cooler I can buy to avoid this problem? If that turns out being the only major issue, I can deal with that with some preventative repair work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What should I know about this truck? I'm decent with a wrench, so don't be shy to get technical with me.
Given that you're looking at relatively new trucks, I don't think you have much to worry about. The big issues I know of so far are the timing belt tensioners, the trans cooler/radiator issue (SMOD), some rear axle failures. I bought a 2012 (the newest I could afford) largely due to the fact that it seems most "common problems" were resolved by 2010/11.

For starters - does the 2x4 come with posi-trac? I would think it does, but I'm not sure with just how budget these trucks are.
Sort of. You get a brake-assisted traction control called ABLS with most trim levels. It works by braking the wheel that's spinning which then (in theory) transfers power to the opposite wheel that hopefully has more traction. It's ok, not great.

There's also VDC which is more of a stability control, and can be turned on/off. If you go for the 4WD "Pro 4X", you actually get a switch actuated locking rear diff and a slightly beefier rear axle.

He told me the 2x4 trucks are front wheel drive. Now, I haven't had a chance to look under the hood yet because I was in a hurry....but he's just full of crap, right?
Yes he is. The weird thing is, he's not the only salesman out there that thinks they are FWD. A friend's relative just bought a 2WD base model and swore up and down it was FWD, like the salesman told him.

Then, he tells me that we're test driving the mid range model, but the higher end model has full 360 degree wrap around impact sensors
I've never heard of such a thing on a Frontier, but I don't know the ins and outs of the newest ones.

I'm reading a LOT of complaints about the transmission cooler going out before the truck hits 100,000 miles. Is this really that common? Is there an aftermarket cooler I can buy to avoid this problem
The issue only affects up to late 2010, maybe early 2011 models. Manual trans was never affected.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had the sales manager pair me up with the "Salesman of the year" for 2017, so I thought alright - maybe I'm off to a decent start with a guy who can talk to me and tell me about this thing. He told me the 2x4 trucks are front wheel drive. Now, I haven't had a chance to look under the hood yet because I was in a hurry....but he's just full of crap, right? No way....right? I asked him if he was sure 3 times, and he reassured me each time telling me it was one of the things he likes best about the truck because of the way it handles with FWD. Yea....I think that's that salesman of the year kicking in.

Then, he tells me that we're test driving the mid range model, but the higher end model has full 360 degree wrap around impact sensors that alert you if you're about to hit something. That part COULD be true, but again - I'm not sure that I believe it. Was he just in salesman mode again?

Ok, one last thing and I'll be back on later - I'm reading a LOT of complaints about the transmission cooler going out before the truck hits 100,000 miles. Is this really that common? Is there an aftermarket cooler I can buy to avoid this problem? If that turns out being the only major issue, I can deal with that with some preventative repair work.
I would avoid that dealer like the plague. He seems to be making stuff up, or telling you what he thinks you want to hear.

I would spend some time on the Nissan website looking at the info, and test "building" frontiers to see what options are available based on trim and model.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
they are front wheel drive (when in 4x4 as well as rear wheel drive) lol so that part is true to an extent

but he didn't mention they also can float on water and are faster than a Lambo's top speed when in 3rd gear
although he sounds like a brain door recipient

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys, I went for it. I found a 2018 Midnight - a lady bought it, drove it for about a month and traded it in for an Altima. Said it hurt her back. It only had 900 miles on it, and was $5,000 below the price of a new one. Still got the original warranty, and I went ahead and got the full wrap around extended warranty as well as GAP.

I gotta give it credit - that truck moves.

Also, yes. I went somewhere else. I called around the state, and found a dealer who not only told me all the correct stats for the truck from memory, but also told me the ins and outs of how other dealerships trick people into spending more money....which I did see with Bates Nissan in Killeen, Tx (Same one with the salesman of the year who didn't know jack). So I drove over 100 miles to avoid my local dealer and go to one who did treat me right. Now, I plan on swinging by Bates Nissan on Monday and having a chat with the Sales Manager about why they missed out on the sale.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
What dealership did you go to?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Nice looking truck. Didya get 2wd or 4wd?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wound up going with Douglass Nissan out of College Station. I got 2wd. Its gonna be my first truck thats a street warrior.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts