Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know the Frontier has been only out for a short period but has anyone had any issues? I only read about one issue with a piece of tape in one headlight. The powertrain has been out now since 2020. How is the 9 speed and 3.8l working out?
My Wife has the 2021 Seems mostly Solid. The Tranny slips in 1st a little while pulling out of my driveway.
Thats the only issue so far. Only has 4900 miles

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I should be safe to have my 2020 Frontier updated to the newer shift programming? I don't have any big complaints as it is. The transmission can be a little clunky when shifting down the last gear or two. It is especially bad if you shift to neutral and coast down those last few MPH. Other than that, mine has good manners most of the time. I'll have to read more and see what the improvements may be.

I've got 12k miles without much issue. My rear window slider latch catch fell off. Hopefully the tires need balancing since it has never been that smooth.

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
208 Posts
My Wife has the 2021 Seems mostly Solid. The Tranny slips in 1st a little while pulling out of my driveway.
Thats the only issue so far. Only has 4900 miles
Have you had the factory TSB done, it's free and makes a big difference with a known issue.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Midnight Edition 4x4
225 Posts
So I should be safe to have my 2020 Frontier updated to the newer shift programming? I don't have any big complaints as it is. The transmission can be a little clunky when shifting down the last gear or two. It is especially bad if you shift to neutral and coast down those last few MPH. Other than that, mine has good manners most of the time. I'll have to read more and see what the improvements may be.

I've got 12k miles without much issue. My rear window slider latch catch fell off. Hopefully the tires need balancing since it has never been that smooth.
I have a 20 and I really didn't have any issues. It was clunky from time to time but that was about it. I was at the dealership today and brought up the TSB. They ended up reprogramming the TCM and to my surprise the truck drives even better now. I'm surprised because like you I really didn't have the same negative experience allot of other owners have been having. Anyways I recommend getting it done if the p/n of your TCM is on the list. Also... the service manager told me that after 15k it's not covered under warranty. So get it done sooner than later.;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
If there truly is a TSB that covers a 2020 Frontier transmission programming update, may I please get a number to reference? Manchester TN Nissan says there is no such thing for my truck. My truck must be one of the earlier trucks. Maybe it doesn't have known issues and isn't on the list.

Regardless, Nissan isn't interested in checking it out unless I have a major issue.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Midnight Edition 4x4
225 Posts
If there truly is a TSB that covers a 2020 Frontier transmission programming update, may I please get a number to reference?

This is the TSB is for the 20/21. I guess the maintenance is cover until 15k, after that its on you dime. So I'm told anyways.

Subject: SB Hesitation And/Or Shift Shock
Summary of NTB21073:
The customer reports hesitation and/or shift shock during acceleration,
OR
Shift shock during deceleration,
AND
There are no TCM related DTCs stored.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks. I'll talk to the dealer again with that info. I do recall at least one time where the truck was a little tough to accelerate smoothly from a stop. Like the throttle response has too much delay and then it hits and the truck takes off hard. I guess I am aware of that and adjusted a bit. I'm at 12k miles so I'd better get on it!

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
208 Posts
Thanks. I'll talk to the dealer again with that info. I do recall at least one time where the truck was a little tough to accelerate smoothly from a stop. Like the throttle response has too much delay and then it hits and the truck takes off hard. I guess I am aware of that and adjusted a bit. I'm at 12k miles so I'd better get on it!
That's similar to the issue I was having and the TSB update made a world of difference.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts