Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Frontier has been only out for a short period but has anyone had any issues? I only read about one issue with a piece of tape in one headlight. The powertrain has been out now since 2020. How is the 9 speed and 3.8l working out?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know the Frontier has been only out for a short period but has anyone had any issues? I only read about one issue with a piece of tape in one headlight. The powertrain has been out now since 2020. How is the 9 speed and 3.8l working out?
Nissan remapped the 9 speed in 2022. When I test drove one it seemed very smooth shifter. Some say it will go right to 3rd gear now and the jerkiness from 1/2 are basically gone. Those lower gears are more for tow and off-road. I drove around 45 MPG and got on the interstate and got it up to 75 mph and the transmission was very smooth. And I was very much concentrated on how the 9 speed performed because of the issues some reported here. That new update is also available for 20/21 owners. Really only concern I had was the zero gravity leather seat in the Pro x I drove. The seat no longer has tilt option so I could no longer find my sweet spot. And the passenger side is now manual adjustment. My 19 has power seats both sides. That's pretty crappy considering these cost WAY more now. But I would not call it a deal killer. The Joker in the deck is something we probably won't know for a few more years. That is, the Direct injection on this new motor. DI can cause carbon buildup on the intakes. The outgoing VQ 40 had port injection so the intakes always got lubricated without carbon build up. The ugly thing about this is the problem will likely surface after the warranty is over. The older VQ 40 was legendary as far as reliability. Not uncommon for a well maintained motor to go over 300K miles. I have my doubts this motor will be as good in the long haul. There is a reason the second gen was made so long. People bought it because they didn't want any problems.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
45 Posts
I’ve had my 2020 Pro-4X for almost 12,000 miles and no issues with the power train. I did recently have the transmission update installed, and I’m loving the truck even more. Time will only tell with the carbon build up, but I was able to get a lifetime power train warranty when I bought my truck a last November, so I’m not worried at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, already getting my entire shifter replaced. 2022 Frontier 4X2 Warning Message.

Also have a rattling noise coming from the right side of the dash that I cant excatly pin point.
So did you get the shift components and wiring replaced? As for the rattle let the dealer handle it. I had a 2020 Tundra that had a rattle up by the passenger side dash. There was a tsb for it which I did myself (retired Toyota Tech). The rattle was caused by a window locating tab up at the top of the headliner which would have been impossible to find if you didn't know about the tsb.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 22 p4x. I have only about 650 mile on it wit 550 coming the last long weekend. That weekend most driving was high speed but a significant part related to curvey mountain roads, and much smaller % was relatively tame off road.
My take - generally the truck did everything asked of it and did it smoothly and strongly

Ride great
Handling superb although would like a tighter turning ratio on those mountain roads.
Gas mileage better than projected by window sticker
My only dislike was when using cruise control. The management of hill climbs is rough/surging occurs not the smooth catchup in mph I'm used to

I really love my new Truck but it isn't perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just started a thread and saw your question. I have the 2022 SV 4x4 and woke up yesterday to a check engine light. 460 miles and a P0300 - Random or Multiple Cylinder misfires. The service manager has been going back and forth with Nissan but they still haven’t found any answers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My only dislike was when using cruise control. The management of hill climbs is rough/surging occurs not the smooth catchup in mph I'm used to

I really love my new Truck but it isn't perfect.
I agree, the radar cruise does a good job slowing down gently to match the speed of the car ahead, but if you change lanes it really guns it to get back to your selected speed.

The other day it down shifted 3 times going up a slight hill and was reving at over 4000 just to make up 7 kph!! I didn’t need to get up to speed that fast! One downshift and a slower increase back to my selected speed would be better for my anxiety and my gas mileage!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definitely willing to, but where should I report that?

I feel like that should be a setting in the menu. My 2018 Crosstrek had a setting where you could select how aggressive the throttle would be in cruise. It had “Dynamic/Normal/Eco” options.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just started a thread and saw your question. I have the 2022 SV 4x4 and woke up yesterday to a check engine light. 460 miles and a P0300 - Random or Multiple Cylinder misfires. The service manager has been going back and forth with Nissan but they still haven’t found any answers.

Keep us updated on the outcome.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So did you get the shift components and wiring replaced? As for the rattle let the dealer handle it. I had a 2020 Tundra that had a rattle up by the passenger side dash. There was a tsb for it which I did myself (retired Toyota Tech). The rattle was caused by a window locating tab up at the top of the headliner which would have been impossible to find if you didn't know about the tsb.
Just got it back today. Shifter was around 750.00 and labor was one hr, labor + taxes and part came to 1045.32. Everything is working fine now. I also had noticed prior to getting this fixed. Whenever the AC was on the shifts were never instant and smooth sometimes the tranny hesitated to shift into the gears. Turn the AC off and it shifted like it was suppose to. I figured it was because the engine was under load. Now that the entire shifter assembly was replaced, even with the AC on it shifts like its suppose to. Im wondering if its because the old one had some kind of problem that was shorting something out or doing something electrical that caused that. I mean, thats the reason I got the error message because that shifter cpu was telling the tranny what gear to get put into but the tranny wasn't receiving electrical input correctly and then throwing codes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got it back today. Shifter was around 750.00 and labor was one hr, labor + taxes and part came to 1045.32. Everything is working fine now. I also had noticed prior to getting this fixed. Whenever the AC was on the shifts were never instant and smooth sometimes the tranny hesitated to shift into the gears. Turn the AC off and it shifted like it was suppose to. I figured it was because the engine was under load. Now that the entire shifter assembly was replaced, even with the AC on it shifts like its suppose to. Im wondering if its because the old one had some kind of problem that was shorting something out or doing something electrical that caused that. I mean, thats the reason I got the error message because that shifter cpu was telling the tranny what gear to get put into but the tranny wasn't receiving electrical input correctly and then throwing codes.
All present day vehicle modules talk to each other through data lines. If one module isn’t working properly or communicating incorrectly it can effect other modules that wouldn’t seem related. In your case the HVAC module (AC) and TCM (transmission).

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
The carbon buildup for DI engines can easily be resolved using a BG or similar product designed for DI engines every so often.
Is this a procedure or 'just' a fuel additive? Hoping it's the former...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Is this a procedure or 'just' a fuel additive? Hoping it's the former...
I don’t think it will be a fuel additive. The fuel additive would be sprayed directly into the cylinders by the injector. The problem is dirty intake valves so any cleaner would have to be spayed into the intake manifold after the throttle body.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It's both a procedure and a fuel additive(PEA) in a more concentrated form sprayed into the intake plenum for about 10 minutes with the engine idling. Several companies make kits for this all using the same chemical patented by Chevron as Techron(PEA) costing around 25 bucks. Easy to use and works as well as what dealers do for 300 bucks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts