Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

New frontier owner here. Picked up a 2008 SE 4.0 extended cab from my uncle. It is silver and has 113,000 miles on it. Auto transmission. Looking forward to learning more about these trucks on here! BTW I live just outside Albany, NY.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Welcome! It's always an added bonus to be in good standing and actually know the previous owner.

There was a radiator issue w/ '05-'10 you may want to research where coolant & auto trans fluid might catastrophically mix. One can perform a simple bypass or replace the OEM radiator. We refer to this event as SMOD = strawberry milkshake of death. Perhaps your Uncle already addressed this issue??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! It's always an added bonus to be in good standing and actually know the previous owner.

There was a radiator issue w/ '05-'10 you may want to research where coolant & auto trans fluid might catastrophically mix. One can perform a simple bypass or replace the OEM radiator. We refer to this event as SMOD = strawberry milkshake of death. Perhaps your Uncle already addressed this issue??
I am looking into that. When I bought it my aunt told me she was having problems with the heat. When you would come to a stop, cold air, anything above idle warm air. Checked the level of coolant and it was low, and had air in system. Got that squared away but found overflow bottle had little black speckles in it, so going to do a flush of the coolant, do the trans cooler bypass, and flush the trans fluid and put in a new trans filter. I can just put a rubber hose from pressure to return line off of tranny, effectively making a loop, right? Then I will have to put plugs in the spot where it would go to radiator? Looking to get all the fluid out of trans, so a DIY flush is in the making. I would go to get it done but its pricey where I am, and I have seen it where they don't get it all out. Thanks for responding to me, I appreciate It!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts