Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Frontier world. I have been wanting one for a long while now and I finally bought a 2005 Nissan Frontier LE. The rail on the driver side of the roof rack has faded or rubbed down to the metal in one spot. I would like to repaint them black or dark grey, but I'm a little confused on how to remove just the rails and not the whole rack. Any ideas? Has anyone done this? Also what type of paint is best to use? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
only way is to undo the front 8 bolts, and unscrew the two screws holding the tubes in. Otherwise tape it all off, and prep and paint. Welcome!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Then, I guess you take the cross bar off and slide the rails out from the back, while standing in the bed? Thanks.
Nope. Opposite. Pull out the 8 bolts from the front mounts, and slide them out(toward the front of the truck)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I see. Good to know. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it went as soon as I get it done. One last question: Once I take the bolts out of the front brackets, will this mess anything up i.e., nuts or something fall into headliner? TY

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
No to last qwest. there are threaded studs in the roof and nothing to fall through.Just did this recently on mine. It's really a piece of cake. Don't be worried about taking it all off as it will only come out better if you do. You can have it off the truck and disassembled on the bench in about 15 min. It's all very self explanatory. The only thing you'll need to tape off are the plastic ends of the cross-bars, everything else can be completely separated. Take all 16 allen heads out of the 4 main "feet", lift the whole thing off the roof in one unit, it's really pretty light (one man job). pop the plastic endcaps off the rear tubes and separate them from the main "feet"(set screws underneath) slide the backs off and repeat with the fronts. The main tubes are now all yours to sand down and hang with some wire to paint. Just remember to look at all the plastic pieces as they are all marked Left (LH) and right (RH). The main tubes are side specific as well but aren't marked so remember which side went where. Like I said it is all very easy and self explanitory. Keep me posted if you have any more ?'s as I'm at work and in a hurry to type so if I missed anything I apologize. Took me all total about an hour start to finish. (not incl. paint dry time) don't forget the clearcoat and also put a dab of blue rtv on the stud holes in the roof before reassembly so it won't have a chance to leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'm going to try and tackle it this week. Sounds like a fairly easy fix. I'm glad someone else has done the same thing. What kind of paint did you use?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts