Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've got a 2016 Pro-4x 6-speed with 5k miles. So far I love the truck and haven't had any problems, but I've noticed a strange noise at times while towing.

I have a small tent-trailer that is about 1700 lbs loaded. On my first camping trip of the summer, I towed it over a mountain pass that topped out at about 4000 foot elevation. When I was accelerating up a grade in 5th gear at around 3k rpm, I noticed a rattling noise coming from under the hood. The noise is quite audible, but there is no vibration or loss of power at all and no warning lights come on. When I'd let up on the gas it would stop. I pulled over and revved my engine up and no noise. When I got back on the road, the noise was gone, even under the same conditions. I took the same trip a couple weeks later and it happened again, around the same time for a short time, then stopped.
I thought the elevation might have something to do with it, but I just got back from a trip towing the trailer and the same thing happened going up a grade on the freeway, virtually same rpm, but no elevation.

I'm hoping this noise is harmless, but I'd like to figure out what it is. I know if I took it to the dealer, I'm sure they would never be able to emulate the sound, as it only occurs while towing at (60-65 mph) freeway speeds and only intermittently.
I figured I'd ask you guys, since I've learned a lot from this site. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
it's likely engine knock or pre-detination. What octane fuel are you using?

also if this is a Manual transmission you should probably use 4th or even maybe 3rd gear when going up steep grades.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greystone, I'm using regular 87 octane. It seems to be pulling with plenty of power... these aren't steep grades. I always shift down when needed.
The truck doesn't require higher octane and I'm towing well below my limit; why would this be happening with a new truck?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
You should be towing with the overdrive off. A sound clip would help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Invasion08, It's a 6-speed manual. It has no overdrive (that I know of). I'll try to get a sound clip next time I tow. When I first heard it, it sounded like paper flapping in the wind.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Pinging sounds like bottle caps under the hood. 6th gear is overdrive.
Next time you plan on towing put in a tank of premium. If it goes away, you found the problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I thought I'd read about a known issue where there's a harmless noise caused by a specific part that shows itself when you get to around 3k RPM when driving, not just revving from idle. Sorry I can't remember any more details, hopefully another more knowledgeable member will chime in

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I am with whistler on this one. Try a higher octane.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am with whistler on this one. Try a higher octane.
Same, definitely need to gear down and use higher octane fuel when heavily loaded.

Detonation is very hard on your pistons and rings. While you probably have a good
drivetrain warranty and think "not my problem, I'll just get a new engine", it's
not that simple. Having people do major work on your truck is a huge hassle and
almost always results in numerous return visits.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds like your getting typical ping due to altitude (less o2). The short pause off load, may be allowing the system to compensate. I agree with running high octane for altitude crossings.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I thought I'd read about a known issue where there's a harmless noise caused by a specific part that shows itself when you get to around 3k RPM when driving, not just revving from idle. Sorry I can't remember any more details, hopefully another more knowledgeable member will chime in

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It was something in the intake track that comes loose, Variable air induction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ryno_7, I looked up the VIAS rattle and it sounds very similar to what is going on with mine. This video I found sounds a lot like mine:

Assuming this is what's going on, is this very damaging to the engine? Is it an easy fix?
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
No, it is just irritating to hear.
The fix is simple if I remember right.
Forgot what it is, though.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help on this! I'm about 90% it's a VIAS issue. I'll get it checked out at my next service, but I'll run Supreme next time I tow to see if it changes anything.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts