Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a security deposit down on a Starcraft travel star 187tb.

I've been researching and believe I will be able to go with Just a WD hitch and brake controller.

The gvwr is 4475 and tongue is 445.

I plan on having a full bed(at least 300lbs)
And wife and 2 kids in the cab.

I wanted to stay away from the chain style hitch and get something simple.

I found the fastway e2 with 2 point sway control in 600/6000 and 800/8000

The brake controller is a prodigy P3 with Nissan harness.

I think controller is good, but which size hitch should I go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know the truck carries a tow rating of something just over 6000 pounds ... but at that weight of trailer and planned load in the truck I think you are pushing pretty hard on the true limits. At the very least you should be prepared for fuel consumption in the range of 9 or 10 miles per gallon. If there is a head wind it will be even less.

Re Hitch - I think either hitch will be fine. The key is which one will fit your receiver. It is possible the 800/8000 hitch uses a 2.5 inch receiver instead of a 2 inch. You should verify that.

Re brake controller - Prodigy makes good units. I have one in my truck. It took about 20 minutes and no tools to install. It took that long only because I was not sure which plug in the wiring harness under the dash was the right one.

Even with a weight distributing hitch, you will probably need some sort of extra support in the rear suspension. I use air bags on mine, and they help a lot. Add-a-leaf springs are also worth considering.

·
Super Moderator
10,433 Posts
You'd feel far safer with a full size truck, my Titan could pull about 9500 pounds so a trailer like you want isn't even making the truck strain.
Have you towed anything of substance before? I've towed my enclosed utility trailer to Florida from NJ multiple times and it's not a relaxed drive ever and worse it wife and kids were with me as the stakes are much higher. I've also done that drive alone and still very aware of it following me and not a relaxing cruise.

Clint

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bgee, Clint,

The dry weight of my trailer is 36xx lbs. I don't think I'll ever get near 4,000 loaded, let alone 4475.
As far as payload in truck (minus ppl) may be split between truck and camper. I'm really not sure yet as I'm a noob. Also I will not be carrying and potable, gray, or black water with me.

I will check on the the receiver size too.

The controller does seem pretty straight forward.

The dealer is going to set my hitch and brake controller up.
So I'll check with them about needing extra support.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bgee, Clint,

The dry weight of my trailer is 36xx lbs. I don't think I'll ever get near 4,000 loaded, let alone 4475.
As far as payload in truck (minus ppl) may be split between truck and camper. I'm really not sure yet as I'm a noob. Also I will not be carrying and potable, gray, or black water with me.

I will check on the the receiver size too.

The controller does seem pretty straight forward.

The dealer is going to set my hitch and brake controller up.
So I'll check with them about needing extra support.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Question: Do you have the Nissan Factory towing package? From everything I have read, if you do, then the connector for the brake controller is under the dash and you just plug it in. But if you don't, that connector won't be there and you have to have it wired in.

On having things in the bed, I probably wouldn't. I would think it would be preferable to put any baggage or other gear in the camper rather than in the truck. I think the load carrying capacity of the truck is only about 1400#? The weight of the people and also the tong weight of the trailer would count against that and it seems like it wouldn't take a whole lot of gear to be getting close to that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ratman,

I'll keep that in mind.
I have a couple coolers, luggage, and misc vacation items.
I think I'll keep the coolers at the front of the bed and everything else should go in the camper around the axles.
I know the weight adds up quick!

I do have tow package too.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got the EAZ lift rated at 1000lbs off Amazon. Drove it around the streets but I Will see how it handles on the road with my first trip this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got the EAZ lift rated at 1000lbs off Amazon. Drove it around the streets but I Will see how it handles on the road with my first trip this weekend.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bchris,

What's your TT weigh?

·
Super Moderator
10,433 Posts
bchris,

What's your TT weigh?

How many miles on your clutch?
When traded I had 120,000 on the original clutch, taught both of my kids how to drive a manual trans and pulled a construction trailer to Florida and back to New Jersey four times and still never slipped.
Hope yours is as durable.

Clint

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

I ended up getting a fastway e2
800/8000 round bar hitch.

After going over our list of supplies. I realized I was doubling up on a lot of things. Coolers, grills and tents among them.
Still used to tent camping

Also saw this fellow owner at the rv dealer going over his new camper setup.

I'll post up a pic of mine when I bring her home next week.

·
Super Moderator
10,433 Posts
Looking at that picture, I think that truck is undersized. The long bed is more stable on the road too.

Clint

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at that picture, I think that truck is undersized. The long bed is more stable on the road too.

Clint

I actually searched his model.
I believe it's a launch ultra lite 21 fbs.
That's a lot of wait even for our trucks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I too have been toying with the idea of a camper trailer. I have pulled some heavy box trailers with my 2011 SV CC V6, but I just don't know if I would feel safe pulling a 18-20 foot TT with that truck. Wind can be such a cruel task master....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took delivery today.

My buddy checking out the setup at the dealer

Here it is at the house for the wife to do her inspection.

It towed pretty well on the way home from the dealer.
I did notice a little float over highway seams.
Also seems like my truck is sitting a little high in the front. So I may have to add another washer on the hitch to level it out.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Firestone RideRites FTW.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's exactly the size I have been looking at. Keep us posted on how it does down the road.

Tex

·
Registered
174 Posts
my 2014 CC frontier has saved me alot of $$$ because I have the cash for a pontoon or trailer but not if I need to buy a full size pickup ($50,000-$75,000) I do tow an 18 ft jet boat with no issue's but would not go heavier not so much for pulling it but for STOPPING it :serious:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
That's exactly the size I have been looking at. Keep us posted on how it does down the road.

Tex

Will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my 2014 CC frontier has saved me alot of $$$ because I have the cash for a pontoon or trailer but not if I need to buy a full size pickup ($50,000-$75,000) I do tow an 18 ft jet boat with no issue's but would not go heavier not so much for pulling it but for STOPPING it :serious:

Once I had the brake controller dialed in I hardly noticed it was back there when braking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I did the 200 mile hike to assateague last week.
I had to completely change my WD setup prior to leaving. once loaded the initial setup was way off.
With everything loaded I guestimate the total payload to be about 4500.
I had zero sway, but had to keep adjusting the brake controller settings. I would get smooth braking till the last 20' or during stop and go. At that point the trailer brakes were very touchy and would start to chatter easily.
I adjusted the initial braking number up and the boost down incrementally and would just get fade. I'll have to do more research on the setup to see if I missed something.
I could feel the trailer on steep grades, but everywhere else the fronty did great!

Would have been a great trip if not for all the rain.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts