Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a new muffler with the stock pipe setup. I've never had a new muffler installed so I was wondering how much it would cost.

Also, I know it's illegal but has anybody ran straight pipes or cut off their exhaust right behind the cats? If so how does it sound?

· Registered
882 Posts
You shouldn't have to pay more than like $250 for a new muffler. Depends on where you live though and what shops charge there.

DON'T STRAIGHT PIPE IT. It does not sound good at all. I made this mistake. Thought the truck sounded pretty mean with the stock muffler, so figured straight pipe would sound crazy mean. Not the case, when your just lightly accelerating it sounds like your going 100 in a civic with the worst exhaust you've ever heard!!! NO JOKE. Not even worth the effort to see what it would sound like. There's a guy on here who runs straight pipe (can't remember who), and every time I come across his name in posts I wanna ask him if he really thinks it sounds!!!

· Registered
2,540 Posts
I have a friend who has a 289 Shelby Cobra with straight side pipes. You can hear that thing forever. He has lost a significant amount of his hearing because of the loud noise. Granted it is louder in his Cobra than it would be in your truck, but there would still be enough noise to do harm to your hearing. I am 72 and I have lost quite a bit of my hearing and believe me when I tell you to do everything you can to protect your hearing. It has to last you a life time.

I love a good sounding exhaust and have had them on most of my cars from the very first one, a 1947 Ford coupe. As much as I love custom exhausts I do not like loud exhaust systems. The bikers with their straight pipes have gotten themselves legislated out of a lot of areas.

Do a nice mellow system and then you can be happy and so can your neighbors. By the way, I have never had a straight exhaust system on any of my cars, trucks or motorcycles.

· Registered
141 Posts
Get a MAC Flowpath muffler installed where your stock muffler is. I've done this on several vehicles, and they sound great. Less drone inside the cab than Flowmaster, and not so raspy outside. Deep and mellow tone but not too loud. All welded like Flowmaster but I like them a lot better. I'll be putting one on my 03 2.4 after I get a few other things done....
Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.