Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this article today about the new engine and transmission in the 2020 frontier. Posting it in the 3rd gen section because it will have this drivetrain.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm sure the engine is good, but I'm not 100% happy about a 9-speed transmission. An optional crawl gear would be cool, but I wouldn't want to start out in crawl from every stop.

I do like that it has a +/- selection for people, like me, who like to tell the trans what gear to be in, but I still can't stand all those gears. I've test driven a lot of 8-9 speed vehicles (particularly FCA vehicles) and I don't like how they 'hunt' for gears. Very indecisive transmission. I also hate that even the slightest bump in throttle prompts a completely unnecessary downshift, where the engine screams to life just to get from 70 to 72mph.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s more “fuel efficient”. Gov regs are eventually gonna make every vehicle like this unfortunately. At some point they just need to say it’s as good as it’s gonna get. The smog won’t choke us but maybe the regs will, lol.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would love the extra gears. I’d prefer 4krpm to 5000-5500 when trying to pull grades with a trailer, or even just holding 75mph with a strong headwind here in the desert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just glad I put a new VQ40de on mine that only had 15,500. The dash says 200,000 now maybe I’ll make 500,000 and won’t have to deal with direct injection in any vehicles for years to come.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The fact the new engine comes with Direct Injection instead of hybrid ( Di and Port) makes question the engine’s reliability in the long term and carbon buildup problems

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The fact the new engine comes with Direct Injection instead of hybrid ( Di and Port) makes question the engine’s reliability in the long term and carbon buildup problems
Why is that? The VQ engine (in other markets) had been Di since the late 90s. Not like this is anything new to Nissan or the VQ engine line.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The fact that other markets have had the engine for quite some time doesn’t mean that the engines with DI don’t have carbon buildup. If you plan on keeping the truck for 50-60 k miles no problem also if you Plan to do a walnut blast every 30k miles but for a the long run I still think DI is not the way to go

·
Registered
240 Posts
The fact that other markets have had the engine for quite some time doesn’t mean that the engines with DI don’t have carbon buildup.
That goes without saying, in fact almost every GDI does have a carbon buildup problem, including 2020 and 2021 models you could purchase today. This problem is no secret, but it's a problem that some car companies are trying to avoid tackling, because it doesn't affect sales.

I'll start with 2 facts:
1. Direct Injection is the way the market is going and will progress. You get better EPA fuel economy, better emissions, and better cylinder temperatures, which are all good things.
2. The EPA has come down hard on carbon build-up (in port-injected vehicles). You don't need Premium gas to get good detergents that prevent carbon build-up, all grades have it, because carbon build-up is disastrous for the environment. It kills emission and fuel economy numbers when there's deposits caked on the valves and intake runners.

Of course, we all know that GDI's fatal flaw is that it's not able to wash fuel over the intake valves and runners to break up carbon, so here we are. I think eventually, this will be an EPA issue that forces car companies to comply with the carbon issue on GDIs. The VK45DD and 56DD have both had major complaints from enthusiasts, and it appears the VQ38DD (VQxxDD) is just going to follow the same formula without any corrections. Tells me that Nissan is choosing to ignore the problem in favor of Free Market. Since most consumers don't know really know or care much about Direct Injection, or Carbon Buildup, nor will they notice slight performance and economy losses during the warranty period, Nissan will probably just play dumb about it until some regulatory force steps in, years from now.

If you ask me, I'd definitely avoid the early VQxxDD Engines for the next 3-4 years, even the early VQ35s had their issues in 2001-2004 (major oil burning). Let the problems come to light, and hope the EPA does something about GDI Carbon Buildup. If you're absolutely wanting to purchase a Nissan (Titan/Frontier or any DD-series engine), I highly recommend Sea Foam and a Heavy Foot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That goes without saying, in fact almost every GDI does have a carbon buildup problem, including 2020 and 2021 models you could purchase today. This problem is no secret, but it's a problem that some car companies are trying to avoid tackling, because it doesn't affect sales.

I'll start with 2 facts:
1. Direct Injection is the way the market is going and will progress. You get better EPA fuel economy, better emissions, and better cylinder temperatures, which are all good things.
2. The EPA has come down hard on carbon build-up (in port-injected vehicles). You don't need Premium gas to get good detergents that prevent carbon build-up, all grades have it, because carbon build-up is disastrous for the environment. It kills emission and fuel economy numbers when there's deposits caked on the valves and intake runners.

Of course, we all know that GDI's fatal flaw is that it's not able to wash fuel over the intake valves and runners to break up carbon, so here we are. I think eventually, this will be an EPA issue that forces car companies to comply with the carbon issue on GDIs. The VK45DD and 56DD have both had major complaints from enthusiasts, and it appears the VQ38DD (VQxxDD) is just going to follow the same formula without any corrections. Tells me that Nissan is choosing to ignore the problem in favor of Free Market. Since most consumers don't know really know or care much about Direct Injection, or Carbon Buildup, nor will they notice slight performance and economy losses during the warranty period, Nissan will probably just play dumb about it until some regulatory force steps in, years from now.

If you ask me, I'd definitely avoid the early VQxxDD Engines for the next 3-4 years, even the early VQ35s had their issues in 2001-2004 (major oil burning). Let the problems come to light, and hope the EPA does something about GDI Carbon Buildup. If you're absolutely wanting to purchase a Nissan (Titan/Frontier or any DD-series engine), I highly recommend Sea Foam and a Heavy Foot.
I agree with you in your statement and also agree the first 3-4 years this engine has to be avoided. Don’t feel comfortable with the full gdi engine. I have seen horrible engines due to carbon buildup. Problem is we have to either buy Ford or toyota which are the only ones that have dual injection port and DI or take the risk with any DI engine dumping 40k or more in a truck which the valves has to be cleaned every so many miles is a deal breaker for me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts