Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, but wanted to share something that I found. Seems like there have been several posts asking about adding cruise control on a 2nd gen, and there aren't many good solutions.

Recently, I noticed that thecruisecontrolstore.com started carrying aftermarket kits for the 2nd gen, but only for automatics. Then, they updated the kit to say it works for manuals as well. I emailed the company about this, and they stated:

The kit is applicable to the manual transmission as well. When the kit was first introduced it was only verified to work on automatic models. Since then the standard transmission models have been confirmed as well. The instructions are the same.

Michael C Fox
Service Manager
M&R Electronics
1-800-343-1382
The Cruise Control Store

I'm thinking of buying this kit for my 06 6spd. What do you guys think - does it seem legit - should I go for it? Cruise is one thing I wish I had on my truck.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
63 views and no comments? I was hoping someone would have something to say/suggest about this. Or perhaps at least find it interesting and give me a thumbs up emoticon. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,404 Posts
Did you find any reviews from users on this system? I'm hesitant to cut up wiring harnesses and face potential issues later on.
I have had cruise control in all my cars since the early 80's but never use it.
I prefer to drive the car, not have it drive me.

Clint

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sounds to me like you're the first one to look into it.

I for one, already have cruise...but I pretty much never use it, because I'm awesome.

:thumbsup:

Maybe you can get them to send you a free kit in exchange for a review?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well I have an '08 Frontier and I had an aftermarket cruise installed by a technician who knew what he was doing. I have almost 19,000 miles on the truck and I love the cruise control with my 5 speed manual tranny. I have the 4 cylinder engine. I went across country last fall thru the Rocky Mountains to Seattle and then back to Iowa. I did have to down shift on steep mountain passes when going uphill as the high 5th gear did not provide enough power to keep up to speed. The control unit would kick off with a very loud "thunk" noise when it no longer could maintain speed on those uphill grades. Once I got used to it I managed to anticipate when it would do this and I would take off the cruise by tapping the brake and then down shift to 4th gear to avoid the loud "thunk" and kick out and this would give me enough power to continue the steep up hill climbs without the cruise on. Once out of the mountains, the cruise saved me alot of muscle strain by keeping the truck at speed on 65 and 70 mph interstate highways. My only recommendation to you would be to pay to have an automotive electronics shop technician install this instead of trying it yourself. Talk to them first to see if they will install the unit you want as they may have other systems they might want to use instead of the one you are thinking about buying. They might refuse to install any other systems if they have no training or experience with them.
My cruise control does not have a dashboard light but I find I don't really need that. I am very glad I had it installed at the time I purchased the truck.

·
Super Moderator
11,404 Posts
Well I have an '08 Frontier and I had an aftermarket cruise installed by a technician who knew what he was doing. I have almost 19,000 miles on the truck and I love the cruise control with my 5 speed manual tranny. I have the 4 cylinder engine. I went across country last fall thru the Rocky Mountains to Seattle and then back to Iowa. I did have to down shift on steep mountain passes when going uphill as the high 5th gear did not provide enough power to keep up to speed. The control unit would kick off with a very loud "thunk" noise when it no longer could maintain speed on those uphill grades. Once I got used to it I managed to anticipate when it would do this and I would take off the cruise by tapping the brake and then down shift to 4th gear to avoid the loud "thunk" and kick out and this would give me enough power to continue the steep up hill climbs without the cruise on. Once out of the mountains, the cruise saved me alot of muscle strain by keeping the truck at speed on 65 and 70 mph interstate highways. My only recommendation to you would be to pay to have an automotive electronics shop technician install this instead of trying it yourself. Talk to them first to see if they will install the unit you want as they may have other systems they might want to use instead of the one you are thinking about buying. They might refuse to install any other systems if they have no training or experience with them.
My cruise control does not have a dashboard light but I find I don't really need that. I am very glad I had it installed at the time I purchased the truck.
Doesn't your system shut off when you tap the clutch to downshift? It should.

Clint

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am sure it disconnects when I push the clutch in....I suppose that is the better way to disengage it when going uphill. For some reason I just got into tapping the brake pedal then clutching and down shifting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm. Well if I bought it I was planning on installing it myself - I looked through the instructions and they don't seem that crazy.

What made you so strongly suggest having a shop install it?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hmm. Well if I bought it I was planning on installing it myself - I looked through the instructions and they don't seem that crazy.

I didn't even know you could get an SE without cruise control. Do they package them without cruise in the US?

·
Registered
936 Posts

I am not good at electronics and these drive by wire systems and electronic steering systems scare the hell out of me...that's why I recommend someone who knows what they are doing. If you are comfortable doing it that is your decision to make. I do think its worth putting a cruise control on if you are going to do a lot of highway and interstate driving. Have a good day. Hope it turns out well for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd update this thread and let you all know that I bought the kit and installed it yesterday - works great!

Install was a little tricky, but if you have some experience with car stereo stuff then it probably isn't too bad. Glad that there is now an option for us 2nd gen folks (manual and auto)!

:fantastic:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your new cruise control

So does it disengage when you push in the clutch? I looked at the install instructions and didn't see a switch for the clutch pedal, but thought maybe it worked through the the electronics somehow.

Thanks,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So does it disengage when you push in the clutch? I looked at the install instructions and didn't see a switch for the clutch pedal, but thought maybe it worked through the the electronics somehow.

Thanks,
The kit/instructions are the same for the auto and manual, so there is no clutch cable hookup. Thus, it doesn't disengage when you push in the clutch, it just revs. Doesn't bother me, but something to keep in mind certainly.:)

·
Super Moderator
19,934 Posts
The kit/instructions are the same for the auto and manual, so there is no clutch cable hookup. Thus, it doesn't disengage when you push in the clutch, it just revs. Doesn't bother me, but something to keep in mind certainly.:)
That is very unsafe. It costs valuable seconds when traveling at highway speeds. It should disengage when you tap the brake pedal or clutch pedal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is very unsafe. It costs valuable seconds when traveling at highway speeds. It should disengage when you tap the brake pedal or clutch pedal.
I don't see it as that unsafe. It disengages just fine when you tap the brake pedal, which is all an automatic transmission would do.

·
Super Moderator
19,934 Posts
I don't see it as that unsafe. It disengages just fine when you tap the brake pedal, which is all an automatic transmission would do.
It's a manual though. If it revs when you press in the clutch, it's not like the common cruise controls on any other Nissan manual that I have owned. There should probably be a switch for both pedals in the kit.

·
Super Moderator
19,934 Posts
Looking at the instruction sheet, it clearly states automatic transmission on the pages. They are missing something for a manual trans from their kit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a manual though. If it revs when you press in the clutch, it's not like the common cruise controls on any other Nissan manual that I have owned. There should probably be a switch for both pedals in the kit.
Looking at the instruction sheet, it clearly states automatic transmission on the pages. They are missing something for a manual trans from their kit.
Yes, it's not the exact same as cruise that you would get factory from Nissan - agreed. And yes, I wondered the same thing for a while. There actually isn't even an easily accessible wire to tap into for the clutch sensor on our trucks - I looked.

I noticed the auto transmission on the pages before I ordered the kit, so I contacted the company that produces it. They told me that the kit was initially only confirmed to work with automatics when they published the install manual. Later, it was confirmed that it also works with manual transmission Frontiers using the same install instructions. Thus, the instructions were simply left the same and the company never changed the words (i.e., auto trans) on the top of the pages.

Certainly factory cruise would be nice, but I bought my truck used for a good deal and it didn't have it, so I'll live with what I have:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So after I wrote that last post, I went out and looked at the wiring diagram and my truck's clutch lever. It does appear that there is a wire meant to be hooked up to the clutch that isn't listed in the instructions. Also, there are a couple wires for the clutch engagement/disengagement. So, in theory, this should get the cruise to kick off when the clutch is depressed. I just need to figure out where to hook it up to.........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts