Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Well I finally installed my head unit. I will just post my before and after photos, as I know there are so many posts here that show how to take apart the dash and install a head unit.
Before

after

First, thanks to all who have posted tips on this web site on how to install a head unit. I did a lot of reading and picture scanning before I tackled this install. This is the first time I have put in a stereo. Your tips were right on, and along with cruthfields instructions, the install went pretty easy. What I purchased is the clarion CX609. My main reasons for purchasing this unit were, Better than stock sound, more features, price, brand name, XM radio, and 2 year factory warranty. I could have paid more for units that gave me more, but for me it would have been a waste of money. I started with a price range of about 500 dollars, and did find allot of units that I liked, but then I started looking at what I really needed, Good sound, CD, usb connection for memory stick, Bluetooth, brand name, warranty, XM radio, I found all these things in this unit. At only $250.00 or $300 with XM. For me it was a no brainer. I could use the remaining money for some speakers down the road. I want to build my self-confidence that I could install the head unit first. As I mentioned the install was pretty easy, the hardest part is soldering the wiring connector to the new deck so it will adapt to the factory harness. It’s pretty straight forward if you follow the instructions, but I took my time and made sure I didn’t get my wires crossed. I am very pleased with this unit. It does everything I need it to do and does them better than my stock unit. I remind you that this is my first unit, so I will not tell you that it’s the best sounding or the best at anything as I am sure there is better out there, and I have only the stock decks to compare it to. My purpose in writing this is to tell anyone who wants a better than stock unit, with more features, but not to steep of a price, this unit will fit that bill. If your anything like me, when I am looking to buy something, I tend to look more at the negative things to see if they apply to me or if I can live with them or not. So here are the things I wish were better, even though I have come to accept them.
1. The screen is hard to read when the sun hits it directly, I have played with many of the colors and contrast, but it really doesn’t matter. It’s still hard to see from sitting on the driver’s seat.
2. The settings on this unit, are hard to navigate, not that I do much of it while driving, but it frustrates me that when I have to check the time on my unit, I have to push a button up to four times just to get it to display it. It has gotten easier as time goes on, put that doesn’t change the fact that the functions could have been laid out better.
That’s pretty much all that drives me nuts about this unit, yea sure there are other little things, but you all know that its hard to find anything that is perfect, so I go back to my original thought of why I purchased this unit, Better than stock sound, more features, price, brand name, XM and 2 year warranty, and that’s what made this a perfect choice for me. Hope this helps anyone who is considering this unit.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
nice job on the install. i bought my jvc from crutchfield and went through a similar thought process. i just bought 4 polk audio speakers for $135 from crutchfield.

I have the same problem with reading the display when sunlight hits it directly. I think its the sharp angle that's the problem. after reading your post, i think i'm going to put some washers under the mounting bracket at the top holes to see if the slight change in angle makes a difference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice job on the install. i bought my jvc from crutchfield and went through a similar thought process. i just bought 4 polk audio speakers for $135 from crutchfield.

I have the same problem with reading the display when sunlight hits it directly. I think its the sharp angle that's the problem. after reading your post, i think i'm going to put some washers under the mounting bracket at the top holes to see if the slight change in angle makes a difference.
That may not be a bad idea. definatly let me know if that angle change helps. Do you think that there will be a rather large gap at the top of the unit, that the faceplate will not cover, when you change the angle? Regarding the speakers, I think i saw your post or someone elses post on those polk speakers, Lots of people recommend them, I will deffinatly consider them when i get them around christmas time.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
hey, after looking at your pics of the clarion and the features, i decided to return my jvc and get the cx609! I was getting spotty performance from the jvc bluetooth adapter. it wouldn't always turn on when the radio is on so i would either turn off/on the unit or unplug and replug the adapter in the usb (which would then require the pairing to be done again).

anyway, when i install the clarion, i'll see how many washers i can use without having the entire unit stick out too much.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a cell phone and hardly use it. Just keep it for emergencies. But i hooked it up to the bluetooth with no problems, made a few calls to check it out and it worked great. days later i was driving around and my phone rang, my stereo cut out as i was driving, i reached for the phone, opened it and by that time i was hearing the person saying hello over my speakers, i totally forgot i had bluetooth and felt like an idiot talking into the phone instead of using the bluetooth. anyway the point is i havent used it all that much, but have not had any problems with it when i have used it.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Thats sick!!!!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
That may not be a bad idea. definatly let me know if that angle change helps. Do you think that there will be a rather large gap at the top of the unit, that the faceplate will not cover, when you change the angle? Regarding the speakers, I think i saw your post or someone elses post on those polk speakers, Lots of people recommend them, I will deffinatly consider them when i get them around christmas time.
The polks are SWEET! my jvc unit has a great EQ which allows adjusting both the level and "width" of bass, midrange and treble so i could tweek the sound perfectly. hopefully the clarion does a decent job at this since i will be removing the jvc and installing the clarion tonight. i'm strongly considering installing an amp to really take full advantage of the polks. the good thing for me is that i dont feel the need for a subwoofer.

EDIT: UPDATE - installed the clarion today and it is much better than the jvc kda805 that i swapped out. deeper bass makes my polks sound great, now i wont need to get an amp. regarding the angle of the unit, i didnt use any washers since i used the trim plate that crutchfield provided (screwed into the opening of the ac/vent housing) so it's a perfect fit right now.

you can see the trim plate around the edge fits perfectly so i didnt want to mess with it

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The polks are SWEET! my jvc unit has a great EQ which allows adjusting both the level and "width" of bass, midrange and treble so i could tweek the sound perfectly. hopefully the clarion does a decent job at this since i will be removing the jvc and installing the clarion tonight. i'm strongly considering installing an amp to really take full advantage of the polks. the good thing for me is that i dont feel the need for a subwoofer.

EDIT: UPDATE - installed the clarion today and it is much better than the jvc kda805 that i swapped out. deeper bass makes my polks sound great, now i wont need to get an amp. regarding the angle of the unit, i didnt use any washers since i used the trim plate that crutchfield provided (screwed into the opening of the ac/vent housing) so it's a perfect fit right now.

you can see the trim plate around the edge fits perfectly so i didnt want to mess with it

That looks great. I am glad it was an improvement for you. Green is my second color choice, i find that i can see the red better, and it matches the interior colors a little better. I had to play around with all the settings to get it to sound good, it does have a lot of options for adjusting the range of bass and highs. to tell you the truth i dont know what it all means i just set it till it sounds good with the stock speakers. I am glad you like it with the polks. i plan on installing the same speakers in a couple of months. Any thing i should know about when i install the speakers? :goodjob:

Big river. Never mind my question on the polk speakers, i started to read the other thread you have regaring your polk speaker install and its giving me some answers on what to expect.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
i tried the bluetooth and it works great, much better than the jvc, which uses a usb plug-in adapter.

the speaker install is pretty straightforward. be sure to have the wiring diagram with you because the wire colors at the speaker are different from the harness. only the rear speaker wires needed to be extended since the oem harness plugs in from outside the enclosure. i drilled a hole through the enclosure to route the wires. having .187" and .110" quick disconnects for the speaker terminals makes it easier to hook them up snugly. if you order the speakers from crutchfield, i would ask them to send the quick disconnects with the speakers. i didnt know they had them until after i finished my install. i picked some up anyway from radio shack and put them on when i rechecked all my wiring for proper polarity.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Clarion CX609

I bought and installed this radio from Crutchfield two weeks ago. The bluetooth works great and the stereo does too. I put the microphone on the frame to the overhead bin. Originally I put the mic on the bottom of the rear view mirror but the directions said to keep it out of direct sunlight. See if I read it all I would have saved a few minutes.
One feature that's nice to have is the free remote control so my kids can do what they want to the radio from the back seat. For $249 you can't beat this radio.
I've never had a bad experience with Crutchfield, they're the best out there.

Clint

One thing I can't figure out. Sometimes when I start the truck and the bluetooth finds the cell phone, the radio continues to play. Other times the radio goes to bluetooth, stays there and I have to toggle the source button back to tuner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought and installed this radio from Crutchfield two weeks ago. The bluetooth works great and the stereo does too. I put the microphone on the frame to the overhead bin. Originally I put the mic on the bottom of the rear view mirror but the directions said to keep it out of direct sunlight. See if I read it all I would have saved a few minutes.
One feature that's nice to have is the free remote control so my kids can do what they want to the radio from the back seat. For $249 you can't beat this radio.
I've never had a bad experience with Crutchfield, they're the best out there.

Clint

One thing I can't figure out. Sometimes when I start the truck and the bluetooth finds the cell phone, the radio continues to play. Other times the radio goes to bluetooth, stays there and I have to toggle the source button back to tuner.

for me the remote is almost a waste, i usually listen to music on my Storage device or XM. I dont change stations to often and when i do its on the deck itself that i make the changes. but i do agree with you that its a nice to have if you want to give control of the radio to others in your truck. But just like at home, I can never find the dam remote when i do need it.
I have not found a permanent location for my bluethooth microphone yet. Regarding the problem you have with the buethooth, i have not experienced it yet so i cant help you, but maybe crutchfield can suggest something to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Just my two cents, but I think any HU you put in is going to suffer from glare.
Nissan really tilted the stereo opening to a bad angle (imo) as far as getting glare.
I get really bad glare sometimes also, the sunroof doesn't help matters either.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
so far the glare isnt that bad. also depends on the LED display color. the green i use contrasts nicely against the black background. some colors (like red) may not contrast well in direct sunlight. i also increased the contrast level as well.

i was also doing some custom settings on the EQ and the bass adjustments are freakin incredible. idk what the settings mean but my bass settings are G=+3db, F=50hz and Q=.7. my polks can pound out the bass so much that i dont need a subwoofer for my own listening tastes. this unit has saved me a lot of $$ (no amp and no sub needed now).

here is my mic location

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just my two cents, but I think any HU you put in is going to suffer from glare.
Nissan really tilted the stereo opening to a bad angle (imo) as far as getting glare.
I get really bad glare sometimes also, the sunroof doesn't help matters either.
After reading about different head units out there, this seams to be the one of the biggest issues that is common among all of them, so id have to agree that its the angle that we are stuck with in our trucks that makes it worse,

i was also doing some custom settings on the EQ and the bass adjustments are freakin incredible. idk what the settings mean but my bass settings are G=+3db, F=50hz and Q=.7.

here is my mic location

[/QUOTE]

I got to go and check what my settings are for the stock speakers, I will post them later.

Does your sunvisor hit the speaker when you put it down or to the side?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Does your sunvisor hit the speaker when you put it down or to the side?

good question, i checked and it just barely clears the visor so its fine right there.

I was at Frys last night and picked up the sirius satellite tuner and clarion interface (since i dont need an amp/subwoofer now). just need to find a good spot to mount these.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
good question, i checked and it just barely clears the visor so its fine right there.

I was at Frys last night and picked up the sirius satellite tuner and clarion interface (since i dont need an amp/subwoofer now). just need to find a good spot to mount these.
I put mine on the frame overhead to keep it away from the window as a noise source. All in all I am pleased with my purchase. When yoyu get in your truck and start it the radio always plays as it pairs? It never goes to bluetooth on the display and stays there? Also you have it set to automatically connect?

Clint

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I purchased and installed the xm tuner and antena. when i bought my unit. I just have not activated my subscription yet, so all i get is there preview channel. I would have liked the sirus but since my wife has xm in her car i can get it cheaper as a second subsription. I put my bluethooth microphone in the same place as big rivers photo shows for now. I was thinking about hitting it with some spray paint to match the interior of the truck? I am also concerned that it may pick up wind, wiper or rain noise from outside being so close to the windshield, so i may route it up by the map light/rear view mirror area if it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I actually think there is more noise at the center of the truck, especially in mine where the mild exhaust drone resonates from the rear. plus if my 3 kids are in the back seat, all the noise will hit the center. i dont get much wind noise, even on the freeway (my daily commute each way is about 35 miles).

the satellite install was pretty straightforward. the sirius tuner and interface are in the space below the head unit. there is a bracket below the head unit which i used to mount the sirius tuner. the interface is mounted down on the plastic using velcro. the antenna is mounted above my rear brake light. my wife has xm but with nfl season coming up, i wanted to get sirius.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Am I missing something? Sirius and XM merged so you should be able to get it all no matter who you were with before.
Let me know if I am wrong.

Clint

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
you can get sirius w/""best of xm" package for$16.99 a month. or xm with "best of sirius". but not both all together, unless you have both tuners and pay for two services.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts