Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up at a truckstop the Cobar 29 LTD Classic (89$ with 20$ mail in rebate)
Cobra Electronics 29 LTD Classic

I got a packaged setup magnetic base mount with 15' coaxial included and a 35" stainless steel whip by K30. I'll be upgrading the antenna soon and getting a new mic with better noise cancellation.
K40 Antennas & Accessories :: K30 Magnet Mount Antenna

I'm going to try to do the installation tomorrow. Naturally, mount the magnet on top and run through third brake light, behind seats and under carpet mats up to the front. I'm thinking I'll mount the CB right near the front, under the A/C controls, etc. Any better ideas? Any forseeable issues with this setup? I'll probably put a decent inverter underneath my driver seat and plug it all in to that later on. I still have to get it peaked and tuned and do whatever I need with the SWR

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Looks a little big to go under the AC controls. I didn't like loosing my foot rest, but chose this spot. I just had to be careful to protect the wires behind the trim piece from screws sticking through.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice spot, but I dont think I want to lose my foot rest. I take a lot of long trips and I'm fairly use to that spot =( Sweet radio though, did you get the bluetooth version? They wanted 129$ for it after rebate but I didn't think I wanted to fork out that much more for a trail/highway radio. I will be setting it up for the PA system though!

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
No blue tooth. Got from buddy of mine that has his own communication business. He tweaked it for a little more power. I don't have the SWR as low as I would like, but it is acceptable. I think it is antenna and location related.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i need to put my super star 121 into my first generation king cab and i can't decide where any suggestions

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know, I'm seriously considering mounting up top, too. Just some tiny holes in the fabric and finding something up there to drill into. I doubt it'll fit inside the console, but that's a good spot if yours fits Alec

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i doubt the cable will go through the 3rd tail light. thats a large wire to run through there. i would swap out the antenna for a fiberglass one and mount it to the utilitrac if you have it. the you can run the cable through one of the grommets in the bed and run it through the rear cab vent and under the carpet.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Cobra 29 is a nice radio.. kinda deep for our dash boards tho'. There's a few threads on CB/Ant. set-ups.

G/L.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts

This is how mine is mounted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i doubt the cable will go through the 3rd tail light. thats a large wire to run through there. i would swap out the antenna for a fiberglass one and mount it to the utilitrac if you have it. the you can run the cable through one of the grommets in the bed and run it through the rear cab vent and under the carpet.
Actually it works great.. you have to cut away a little bit of the plastic but I dremeled it enough and it is great. Only thing I don't like about it being up top is the extra height. I forget it's up there sometimes and smack stuff.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Thats a main reason why i relocated mine to the end of my bed. Because mine would knock everything in site while offroad. It doesnt help that im lifted but still. Nice work though. Is your reception good with it configured that way & does water get in ?

·
Registered
578 Posts
mudflap- the radio won't fit on the console i was thinking against the back of the king cab portion under the rear window or to the door on the glovebox

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The radio to my left, in the driver door with door closed - I think it works nicely! I keeps mah foot rest!

35" stainless steel whip with magnet base, running to the weather stripping. I'll be changing that out with a much better antenna soon along with a noise cancellation mic.

Ran coaxial from through weather lining out to driver door and punctured some holes to run it under door, and then ran under and up into the back of the radio.

======

Still have to find best source of power. Someone suggested just to the fuse panel on driver side, but .. I dont know crap about electricity.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
now thats a great place to put a cb, i would have never thought of it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
:goodjob:
Just remember the mic. cord when gettin in/out; wouldn't want to drag an RK56 mic. along the freeway...

add/edit:
Get power for the CB from the Cig. plug(s); pull the glove box door down(look up cabin filter replacement) if you want to run it behind the dash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts