Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Avs window visor WeatherTech floor mats
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about getting new tires for my pro 4X the Hankook are okay at best. But not sure what kind of Tire to get live in the Midwest so get a decent amount of snow. I've had the Falken wild Peaks in the past they're okay but wear fast. Was looking at the BF Goodwrench at and the Goodyear Duratrax what are the recommendations are out there. Most of my driving on the freeway but do drive on gravel roads and dirt roads to go fishing and hunting looking to try to spend under 215 a tire

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was thinking about getting new tires for my pro 4X the Hankook are okay at best. But not sure what kind of Tire to get live in the Midwest so get a decent amount of snow. I've had the Falken wild Peaks in the past they're okay but wear fast. Was looking at the BF Goodwrench at and the Goodyear Duratrax what are the recommendations are out there. Most of my driving on the freeway but do drive on gravel roads and dirt roads to go fishing and hunting looking to try to spend under 215 a tire
When my Hankooks wear, I plan on getting the Duratracs. 285/75-16. But they are pricey. $1k for 4 of them.

Reactions: 20pro4x80

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
705 Posts
I went with Nokian Rotiviias AT's so far so good. Excellent on road performance(sound and handling wise) with a marginal hit to fuel economy(I honestly haven't noticed). I've mostly done highway driving with them(and +550 miles of towing with a fully loaded sh#y U-haul trailer).

Disclaimer: I've not gotten to do any off road driving (no time) and I moved way up north from where I was located in the Midwest. But I haven't had to drive in any snow since I bought them to test their 3-peak mountain rating yet (darn). It's rained quite a bit and overall they handle much nicer than the Hankook Dynapro HT's that the truck came with. I am looking forward to the first snow so I can report back my findings.

Also they run a bit cheaper than other AT's with similar capabilities. $160 was my cost per tire ($185 per tire installed). You can get these through Walmart(with their warranties) or Amazon for the same price.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Aren’t the hankooks considered a solid tire if you aren’t looking for looks?

I ordered some nitto ridge grapplers but will never see snow.

·
Registered
2017 Frontier SV V6 4x4 auto, CC
56 Posts
If most of your driving is on paved surfaces, any AT tire especially some more aggressive tread patterns are going to wear quick. The best thing for snow is a dedicated snow tire.

I’ve always been a Nokia’s fan and may try the Rotivaa. But I’m really leaning towards Michilen Defender ltx. I see great reviews and hear great things in person. They seem to do very well on road, and stand with the pack for moderate off-road. They just don’t have the looks, but that doesn’t bother me.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
If most of your driving is on paved surfaces, any AT tire especially some more aggressive tread patterns are going to wear quick. The best thing for snow is a dedicated snow tire.

I’ve always been a Nokia’s fan and may try the Rotivaa. But I’m really leaning towards Michilen Defender ltx. I see great reviews and hear great things in person. They seem to do very well on road, and stand with the pack for moderate off-road. They just don’t have the looks, but that doesn’t bother me.
The Michelins are a very good tire if you're not going to be rock-bashing, my Pro4 had them mounted on it when I got it. I went to General Grabbers when replacing the Michelins, for the more aggressive tread, but mostly for the heavy carcass and rock and stone-cut resistance. But they are indeed heavy. I went 235/85r16 same diametre as the 265/75r16. The Generals are excellent in the rain and have a 9.0+ overall score on Tire Rack.

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin Defenders and they were prorated due to the first set only returning 40k miles before I was at that critical 4/32" of tread remaining. Yes, they were aired up properly and rotated regularly. I do haul +/-600 lbs about 80% of my annual miles - this includes an ARE topper. If this 2nd set does the same, I'll no longer be a Michelin man...unless they also prorate the third set. Defenders are smooth & quiet, handle decently and cope well w/ wet or snowy roads due to a ton of siping. Tip of my hat to those who get 60k+ miles out of them, just wishing I was one of them.

Reactions: NaughtyBits

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't live anywhere near snow country, but we have tons of sand. I bought a set of BFG AT's about 3 months ago and could not be happier with them. They are a great tire, IMAO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't live anywhere near snow country, but we have tons of sand. I bought a set of BFG AT's about 3 months ago and could not be happier with them. They are a great tire, IMAO.
That's all we used when I lived in Southern California they were great tires. I just don't know how well tractor with being snow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Michelins are a very good tire if you're not going to be rock-bashing, my Pro4 had them mounted on it when I got it. I went to General Grabbers when replacing the Michelins, for the more aggressive tread, but mostly for the heavy carcass and rock and stone-cut resistance. But they are indeed heavy. I went 235/85r16 same diametre as the 265/75r16. The Generals are excellent in the rain and have a 9.0+ overall score on Tire Rack.
I had to General red labels on my four-banger Nissan Frontier XE they were great tires. And lasted 50k +/-

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been running BFG K02s for over 55k. No issues and still plenty of life left, but starting to get a little louder than I prefer

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Buddy has been running Duratraks on his 2nd Gen Ram.... lots of tread still left on them after 40k.... i'm getting those in 255/85/16 once my lift is done...

·
Registered
2013 S 4X4 CCSB 2" lift General Grabber ATx
119 Posts
+1 for the Grabber ATx. They are in your price range, & I love mine. They replaced some BFG KO2's because they shed water much better. That's a plus for an Oregon kid. They are probably overkill for what you need (I admit), but they are great in the snow as well. They seem to be wearing quite well, also. About 7,500 miles on mine & they look brand new. My size is 265/75 R16, I ended up paying around $770-ish, mounted & balanced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
+1 for the Grabber ATx. They are in your price range, & I love mine. They replaced some BFG KO2's because they shed water much better. That's a plus for an Oregon kid. They are probably overkill for what you need (I admit), but they are great in the snow as well. They seem to be wearing quite well, also. About 7,500 miles on mine & they look brand new. My size is 265/75 R16, I ended up paying around $770-ish, mounted & balanced.
Was looking at those to

·
Registered
47 Posts
Buddy has been running Duratraks on his 2nd Gen Ram.... lots of tread still left on them after 40k.... i'm getting those in 255/85/16 once my lift is done...
Cant find that size in DuraTracs on the Goodyear web site. Gotta special "in"?

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've been looking at the Pirelli scorpion AT+(if they are not still out of stock when I need to replace ) when my hankooks wear out even though I have zero complaints about them and they are showing minimal wear at almost 40k and the best OEM tire I have had on any vehicle I'd like to try something new.
I had the duratracs on previous JK and I thought they were overhyped. Rain n snow traction wasn't all that great plus had balancing issues in the 285/70/17s that I had.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Cant find that size in DuraTracs on the Goodyear web site. Gotta special "in"?
WOOOOPS! I stand corrected i thought they were DuraTracs when i meant Discoverer ST MAXX!!!!
Sorry about that LOL
Would be cooler if they did! (meme pic here)

Reactions: NaughtyBits
1 - 20 of 20 Posts