Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I was hoping they would do like Toyota /bmw did with the Supra and offer a manual after a year or 2. Wishful thinking but I agree
As far as I know that is just lip service thus far. Although the BMW Z4 is currently available in a 6 speed manual so I can see how easy it would be to also offer it in the BMW Supra...but still nothing yet.

German cars are such complete pieces of trash anyways. The Supra name was legendary and then Toyota defaces it by rebadging a pile of trash BMW? What a tragedy that was/is. Also the new Supra is cartoonish looking and laughable compared to the FT1 concept it was designed on...another tragedy surrounding the car. Toyota couldn't have done better at screwing this one up.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
BMW Z4 is a very popular amateur's choice for weekend race track fun and SCCA organized racing events, no so for the frontier, I think its safe to say a manual frontier after 2019 will never be more than a dream, RIP

·
Registered
2020 Pro 4X
3 Posts
I picked up a 2020 Pro 4X. Its my third Frontier. I owned a 2012 Crew Cab S and a 2016 Crew Cab SV. I have to say I really like the new motor and transmission combo. The granny gear has an awesome crawl rate. While running 80mph its only hitting 1800rpm and I can definitely feel the extra 49HP.
No doubt it drives completely different than the old setup and it took some getting used to.
No matter what speed you are running the power and torque is there unlike the old setup with lag. On a hwy trip that normally took a half a tank with the 2016 2wd only took 1/4 with the Pro 4X. Only time will tell how it holds up. I have a 100,000 bumper to bumper Nissan warranty so I'm not worried. I'm happy so far.

·
Registered
2020 Pro4x
21 Posts
pd it should be a hell of a
I picked up a 2020 Pro 4X. Its my third Frontier. I owned a 2012 Crew Cab S and a 2016 Crew Cab SV. I have to say I really like the new motor and transmission combo. The granny gear has an awesome crawl rate. While running 80mph its only hitting 1800rpm and I can definitely feel the extra 49HP.
No doubt it drives completely different than the old setup and it took some getting used to.
No matter what speed you are running the power and torque is there unlike the old setup with lag. On a hwy trip that normally took a half a tank with the 2016 2wd only took 1/4 with the Pro 4X. Only time will tell how it holds up. I have a 100,000 bumper to bumper Nissan warranty so I'm not worried. I'm happy so far.
Have you noticed hard shifts when coming to a stop, seemingly from 3-2-1 and especially into 1st gear, it seems like a huge step down and the truck kind of lunges to a stop. Then there is a take off delay almost like I remember from a dual clutch turbo rally art. Im not sure what would cause the take off delay with the 9speed 2020 pro4x, but its taking some getting used to. I had a 2012 pro4x that I sold, I besides the rough idle I dont remember any weird shifting like the new 9 speed. I bought it brand new, its got 600ish miles on it, so perhaps a break in learning process.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think my dealer is giving great warranties for free as well on new Nissan's. Hopefully it will cover any issues for carbon build up for the new DI motor. Some commits on the forums saying there are issues with the DI motor on the Titan.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Have you noticed hard shifts when coming to a stop, seemingly from 3-2-1 and especially into 1st gear, it seems like a huge step down and the truck kind of lunges to a stop. Then there is a take off delay almost like I remember from a dual clutch turbo rally art.
I have noticed a hard down shift to 1st if I make a hard sudden stop. Like the transmission stayed in 4th then right as I stop "clunks" into first. I don't do that often so I have only noticed it in those situations. My normal driving habits render the transmission invisible it seems.... Id say give it a 1000 miles and see...mine just disappeared and I can't say if I "just got used to it" or if it "got used to me" kind of scenario.
Other observations:
Cold transmission shifts rougher(ie I feel the shifts) once it is warmed up all that disappears and its usually in the first mile or 2. I noticed this because I park in an insulated, not conditioned garage at home. Leaving for work in the cold mornings this last week everything was normal no rough shifts. After sitting in the single digits over my work day outside, when leaving it shifts "rough" until it warms up.

I really like it. Took a drive up into the mountains this weekend and the thing just works, I don't notice gear hunting, if i put my foot into it it downshifts and holds the gear well I feel.

This summer will give me a much better idea of it here in CO for my purposes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have noticed a hard down shift to 1st if I make a hard sudden stop. Like the transmission stayed in 4th then right as I stop "clunks" into first. I don't do that often so I have only noticed it in those situations. My normal driving habits render the transmission invisible it seems.... Id say give it a 1000 miles and see...mine just disappeared and I can't say if I "just got used to it" or if it "got used to me" kind of scenario.
Other observations:
Cold transmission shifts rougher(ie I feel the shifts) once it is warmed up all that disappears and its usually in the first mile or 2. I noticed this because I park in an insulated, not conditioned garage at home. Leaving for work in the cold mornings this last week everything was normal no rough shifts. After sitting in the single digits over my work day outside, when leaving it shifts "rough" until it warms up.

I really like it. Took a drive up into the mountains this weekend and the thing just works, I don't notice gear hunting, if i put my foot into it it downshifts and holds the gear well I feel.

Sounds like Nissan mapped this way better then Toyota's 6 speed Akison POS. Plus they got a better motor to work with. Honestly the only trucks worth a look are Nissan and Ford. Both GM/Toyota having allot of trouble in the Transmission department. GM is having a ton of reliability issues all the way back to 2015 when they released that 8 speed turd.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
68 Posts
Rolled over 600 miles on my 2020 with mostly around town suburban NJ driving. The only weird transmission thing I've experienced is when you're rolling to a stop, for example a yield sign merge or low speed parking lot turn, an then when accelerating from a near stop, a hard downshift. It's happened only twice though even though I'm in this situation all the time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rolled over 600 miles on my 2020 with mostly around town suburban NJ driving. The only weird transmission thing I've experienced is when you're rolling to a stop, for example a yield sign merge or low speed parking lot turn, an then when accelerating from a near stop, a hard downshift. It's happened only twice though even though I'm in this situation all the time.
I'm wondering if Nissan will remap this transmission on the 2022.

·
Registered
2020 Pro4x
21 Posts
Same thing here on my 2020, if I california roll thru a sign(hypothetically) it will clunk down and then when i accelerate it will bog and delay in the current gear and then downshift and accelerate abruptly. I owned a 2012 and dont remember all the annoying Transmission peculiarities. Could be all in my head due to the coin I just dropped on my first new vehicle and buyers remorse.

·
Registered
2020 Pro4x
21 Posts
Other observations:

Thanks for the reply, ill give it some more miles to see if we get used to one another. Its funny I coulda bought a 2019 with same everything but went with the 2020 for the smoothness and HP and barely noticeable fuel economy improvements. Plus I already had a 2nd gen 2012, with the knights armor pain job that Nissan shoulda kept.

·
Registered
284 Posts
....barely noticeable fuel economy improvements.
I had an '08 Nismo KC with 6sp. This 2020 gets VASTLY SUPERIOR gas mileage in all driving I have encountered so far compared to that truck.
My Ford Transit Connect van before this '20 truck with its gutless 4 banger and 6sp auto was getting the same mileage this '20 truck is around town, 17-18mpg in the van around town. Highway it was barely better, 24-25mpg unless there was a headwind then it goes to something more like 16mpg cause the thing would have to drive at 4k rpm to go 70 in it. Truck gets way better mileage in a headwind, 18-19mpg. Had 23mpg with a quarrying tailwind last trip to Texas in the truck and it averaged 21mpg over the trip at 80mph. The 08 truck never came close to 20mpg on the highway, maybe 18 and round to 19 and staying at 70mph and that was not very often id hit that.
I'm unsure what other people expect from their truck, but for me it is way better so far. I mean it is matching the 4 banger van I had before. So, more power, more capability, same mileage and better mileage than my 08 truck? I'm wicked happy.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Just thinking out loud here as I'd not want to steer anyone toward a warranty denial situation.
BUT, again, wondering (out loud) how one of those pedal commander devices would/might work w/ this new Gen 3-ish powertrain? I'm totally unsure as to whether they're even offered for '20-'21.

Judging from some of the replies around here in those particular threads, these things seem to cleanup a multitude of sins as reported by the VQ40/5AT folks...allowing for dialing in a desired response.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier CC Midnight Edition 4x4
95 Posts
BUT, again, wondering (out loud) how one of those pedal commander devices would/might work w/ this new Gen 3-ish powertrain? I'm totally unsure as to whether they're even offered for '20-'21.
Oh boy!!! Controversial topic those Pedal Commanders are. :D

They do make them for the 20/21 models. I installed a Pedal Commander (model PC79) a little over a month ago and have experienced no problems. I'm running it in the lowest setting (Eco -4) and I feel it brings an extra smoothness to the truck when it comes to acceleration. I think that is the best way to describe what I feel. It's subtle but you can feel a difference. I don't care for any of the "sport" settings as it just makes the accelerator too touchy.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts