Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
The current 5 speed auto only limits the higher gear. For example if I select 2, it means I have first and second gear and no higher. It does not lock out first.
Shitty, I like the old school ones where when you select 2nd you start out in 2nd. I was taught that you do that when it's super slippery so the vehicle doesn't start spinning right away.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My friend's wife inherited a new Taco from her brother. My friend drives it a lot and hates it. Says it downshifts for a bump in the road. I'm mostly a MT guy so I just try to hide the grin. Fortunately he has a new Ram also; doesn't complain about that.

My other truck is a 2011 V8 F150. It has the 6-speed automatic. Passing is a problem. You push and push on the pedal and get very little. Finally it downshifts to 2nd, roars like a dragster and takes off like a rocket...almost out of control. Embarrassing.

Like I say, a MT guy, definitely.

·
Super Moderator
10,969 Posts
Thats what I read, along with a much lower 1st gear in the 9spd it should be a hell of a crawler, if you can keep it in that gear. I've noticed all these new 8-9-10 spds only give you the option of P-D-R no longer like my 5spd that lets me lock it into any one of the 5 gears I want.
I’m on my second, 2nd generation Titan, you can absolutely shift to any of the 9 speeds you want to. It has its quirks such as if you keep your foot on the gas steady it goes right through the gears but if you’re going light on the throttle it takes longer to go into the next gear up. Overall it’s a great transmission and have almost 70,000 miles driving them on the two trucks combined.
The fuel mileage is great too, I consistently get better gas mileage than in my Frontiers but only went up to a full size so I could pull larger trailers.
I have zero complaints against any of my 5 Frontiers.

Clint

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thats what I read, along with a much lower 1st gear in the 9spd it should be a hell of a crawler, if you can keep it in that gear. I've noticed all these new 8-9-10 spds only give you the option of P-D-R no longer like my 5spd that lets me lock it into any one of the 5 gears I want.
I haven't seen the new Frontier, but cars I have driven that have the multi-gear automatic transmissions usually have a manual mode, which will hold the current gear (possibly with shifts if you get too far out of reasonable RPM range) unless you bump the lever forward to downshift or backward to upshift (which seems backwards to me but seems to be the standard).

I have a 2017, that I intend to drive until it falls apart (or I do, which may happen first), and I really like the five speed auto. With the fairly wide power band of the 4.0, five gears seems to me to be plenty. I would like a manual mode though, rather than the old school ranges, that just limit the highest gear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It would all depend on the shift points. I'd really love if it was adjustable someway or another. I did rent a SV v6 4x4 recently for an 18 day vacation in Kaua'i and truth be told, I haven't found an automatic I like. Going up a slight hill about 40 mph and the SV would lose speed and downshift and then accelerate and upshift again and then slow down and repeat. Didn't matter if I varied the throttle as then it would either slow way down or downshift and accelerate into the car in front. My 6M never does that **** :) So a nine speed might be better as it might find a gear to be happy in instead of shifting up and down constantly. Also the SV shifter fails in that it requires you to push the button to drop into 3rd and if it was a good system it would require another deeper push to drop into 2nd, you know, like pretty much every old school column shifter does. That while offroading had me bumping it into 2nd when I didn't want that.

I'll guess the nine speed would have a gate to the side where you push or pull the lever and then forwards and backwards to raise or drop a gear.

Side note is my wife has a nice VW Atlas SE with the 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder with an eight speed trans. That thing is roughly 4,200# and will still get average 25 mpg with city and highway mixed driving. Sucky thing is the trans shift points. It goes 1-2 nicely and if you don't step on the throttle any more since takeoff it does a super short shift to 3rd and just about stops accelerating, this after the 1st to 2nd gives decent acceleration (keeping up with traffic at least). I found I have to do the regular accelerating and then a few moments after it's in 2nd I have to push the throttle another 1/4" to 1/2" to keep up the acceleration and keep it from upshifting too quickly. So if the new nine speed is meant for economy it will try to upshift as fast as possible and probably be a pain and do it stupidly in order to "save" a few drops of gas.

I think I'll keep my 2006 KC Nismo 6M until it dies, it has a little over 138,000 on it now and it's worth something like 3k as a trade in anyway.
Just out of curiosity has your truck spent its whole life in Colorado? Because if it's rust free, it's worth about triple that private sale. Believe it or not. That's what they're going for. It took me about six months to find mine because I refused to pay almost 10k for an older one. I just sold my neighbors for her, 1st Gen Frontier 2004 SC for just under 7K with 50k more miles than yours. Crazy, huh. And the guy didn't even try hard to talk me down and acted like he stole it from me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Want to know more about the 9 speed read up on mercedes 9G tronic . It is there design contracted to Jatco for nissan . Mercedes has 7 years or so using it , Its a bit of an odd ball to service .

·
Registered
622 Posts
Want to know more about the 9 speed read up on mercedes 9G tronic . It is there design contracted to Jatco for nissan . Mercedes has 7 years or so using it , Its a bit of an odd ball to service .
You are absolutely right...good find! I'm a little leary of it now. German cars are the biggest piles of trash on the road...and Mercedes and BMW are the leaders of the crap pack.

·
Registered
2020 Pro 4x
124 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Be careful. My friend has a new taco and hates all the shifting being done in the truck. He says it acts like it is always confused. He got it when Taco replaced its 4.0 with a the smaller V-6 engine. He wishes he had his old one back. check the shift points on when it shifts first if you can. I am not saying its bad but I always give a new engine and a new 9 speed transmission a couple of years to get the bugs out. His transmission also has a higher temp reading on the fluid since its constantly shifting. Just my thoughts from listening to my friends with downsized motors and more shift points. also I believe the new Nissan engine does have more horse power, but is now closer toward the bottom end of the torqe range of other midsize trucks now. check the Colorado and Ranger torque ratings. Horsepower is how fast you can go . torque is how quick you can get there and is made more for towing weight and off roading.. Just some thoughts. Everyone have a good day, and drive safe.
Nothing has changed thru out the years. You never buy a new model until the bugs are worked out of it. Most of the time the next year has better results and less recalls.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Don't think it's gonna happen unfortunately...even the sports cars and heavy duty trucks are phasing the manuals out. My 6 speed Fronty is about to be on the endangered species list...and it isn't the only 6 speed stick in my garage either.

I think my insurance company should give me a theft deterrent discount for having a manual cuz hardly anybody knows how to drive one...and the number of people who do know how will continue to diminish.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't think it's gonna happen unfortunately...even the sports cars and heavy duty trucks are phasing the manuals out. My 6 speed Fronty is about to be on the endangered species list...and it isn't the only 6 speed stick in my garage either.

I think my insurance company should give me a theft deterrent discount for having a manual cuz hardly anybody knows how to drive one...and the number of people who do know how will continue to diminish.
I was hoping they would do like Toyota /bmw did with the Supra and offer a manual after a year or 2. Wishful thinking but I agree

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Not gonna hold my breath, but there was been some reported whispering about a return of a manual trans in the new/unrevealed Gen 3. As usual, time will tell.

Reactions: Kelly Mack

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not gonna hold my breath, but there was been some reported whispering about a return of a manual trans in the new/unrevealed Gen 3. As usual, time will tell.
That's encouraging to hear and I'll cross my fingers but also not gonna hold my breath. It's pretty much already at the point where if you want a manual then you have to buy used. I guess I'll be keeping mine longer than I originally thought.

Reactions: shift_RUSH
21 - 40 of 54 Posts