Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful. My friend has a new taco and hates all the shifting being done in the truck. He says it acts like it is always confused. He got it when Taco replaced its 4.0 with a the smaller V-6 engine. He wishes he had his old one back. check the shift points on when it shifts first if you can. I am not saying its bad but I always give a new engine and a new 9 speed transmission a couple of years to get the bugs out. His transmission also has a higher temp reading on the fluid since its constantly shifting. Just my thoughts from listening to my friends with downsized motors and more shift points. also I believe the new Nissan engine does have more horse power, but is now closer toward the bottom end of the torqe range of other midsize trucks now. check the Colorado and Ranger torque ratings. Horsepower is how fast you can go . torque is how quick you can get there and is made more for towing weight and off roading.. Just some thoughts. Everyone have a good day, and drive safe.

Registered
Sound advice.馃憤 I'm also pretty suspect of these newer multi-speed transmissions...and always of new engine designs. Alot of people complain about Nissan taking so long to refresh the Frontier. Hell that's one of the main reasons why I bought it...no surprises.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Sound advice.馃憤 I'm also pretty suspect of these newer multi-speed transmissions...and always of new engine designs. Alot of people complain about Nissan taking so long to refresh the Frontier. Hell that's one of the main reasons why I bought it...no surprises.
My son has an older frontier and I have a 2018 frontier PRO-4X. The engines are fantastic and the transmissions have been bullet proof and comfortable to ride in. we both have automatics. He has close to 188,000 miles on his and just routine maintenance. He has the 4x4 SV model. Our 4.0 engines- frontiers may go up in value after the smaller engines and 9 shifting transmisions start having problems. I think the constant shifting and lower torque could be a problem, plus transmission heating will put more stress on parts like transmission seals and other internal parts. That is what my friends have seen in their down sized engines . can you even guess all the extra parts in a 9 speed transmission, WOW. That would be a big overhaul rebuild . We will watch and see. I'm like you. You cant fix whats not broken just for 1- 2 more miles to the gallon. I can buy a lot of gas for the price of the new truck. Ha! have a safe day.

Registered
the 9 speed will be like the 10 speed IMO.
I am sure the top 3 gears will be over drive gears, just like the 10 speed transmissions.

The problem with the tacoma is the 6 speed uses 2 over drive gears, so whether its in 5th or 6th its in OD and it will try to get into those gears at a low speed and there is too much gear when you try to get on the gas.

I think the 9spd will be fine and will be nothing like the Tacoma. If you drove an F150 or anything with a 10spd no one really complains about that. Plus it usually skips gears when driving normal,1-3-5-7,8,9.

I would like to have the 9sp for the lower first gear, I have to assume it will be a better crawl ratio

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hope it works out for everyone. any off road damage could void out a warranty , be carefull with what ever you drive if you go off road. I have seen new warentees voided from using off road. enjoy your day.

Registered
Hope it works out for everyone. any off road damage could void out a warranty , be carefull with what ever you drive if you go off road. I have seen new warentees voided from using off road. enjoy your day.
what are you saying? if you smash your transmission with a boulder or something? yea that wouldn't be warranty, if you hit a curb on the street and did damage that wouldn't be warranty either. confused

Registered
Wonder if it will be the 9 speed that is currently in the Titan?
IIRC, it is "variant" of that transmission - which is probably good news, because nobody complains about the Titan's transmission.

Registered
I just bought a 2019 frontier because I did not want a smaller engine and definitely less torque. I pull a 3500 lb trailer and think the 9 speed transmission offers me no advantage. I have towed my camper (actually 3 campers) 40,000 plus miles with my 2005 Xterra with zero problems and regular maintenance only. With 188,000 miles it is still a solid vehicle and I have it as as a back up. Not worth a couple of mpg to lose the power and acceleration to me. This is a solid platform and has served me well. By the way, I really like my midnight edition with a timken kit to beef up the rear suspension. Hope to put 200,000 miles on this one.

Premium Member
New 3.8 supposedly makes the same torque (281) as our current VQ40.

Registered
Thats what I read, along with a much lower 1st gear in the 9spd it should be a hell of a crawler, if you can keep it in that gear. I've noticed all these new 8-9-10 spds only give you the option of P-D-R no longer like my 5spd that lets me lock it into any one of the 5 gears I want.

Registered
IIRC, it is "variant" of that transmission - which is probably good news, because nobody complains about the Titan's transmission.
That is good to know. I test drove a Titan a few months ago just for grins. The transmission seemed fine to me. Unlike the transmission in the two Tacoma's I test drove back in 2016. Very happy with my Frontier.

Registered
Thats what I read, along with a much lower 1st gear in the 9spd it should be a hell of a crawler, if you can keep it in that gear. I've noticed all these new 8-9-10 spds only give you the option of P-D-R no longer like my 5spd that lets me lock it into any one of the 5 gears I want.
The current 5 speed auto only limits the higher gear. For example if I select 2, it means I have first and second gear and no higher. It does not lock out first.

Registered
All this is great BUT the 5 speed is a known and proven platform. I am mainly concerned with towing capacity and reliability. The new 9 speed transmission and engine is unproven technology. It may be great or not so much. I don鈥檛 know and neither does anyone else. So I鈥檒l stick with a platform that 15 years of R&D behind it. To each his own. 馃

Registered
My son has an older frontier and I have a 2018 frontier PRO-4X. The engines are fantastic and the transmissions have been bullet proof and comfortable to ride in. we both have automatics. He has close to 188,000 miles on his and just routine maintenance. He has the 4x4 SV model. Our 4.0 engines- frontiers may go up in value after the smaller engines and 9 shifting transmisions start having problems. I think the constant shifting and lower torque could be a problem, plus transmission heating will put more stress on parts like transmission seals and other internal parts. That is what my friends have seen in their down sized engines . can you even guess all the extra parts in a 9 speed transmission, WOW. That would be a big overhaul rebuild . We will watch and see. I'm like you. You cant fix whats not broken just for 1- 2 more miles to the gallon. I can buy a lot of gas for the price of the new truck. Ha! have a safe day.
I agree I think the 4.0 frontiers will be the desirable ones since they are low tech and reliable. That鈥檚 why I kinda rushed to get one with low miles. Sorta like the previous gen Tacoma they are holding their value even more so

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
what are you saying? if you smash your transmission with a boulder or something? yea that wouldn't be warranty, if you hit a curb on the street and did damage that wouldn't be warranty either. confused
All I am saying is warranty is good only under normal driving conditions. That is stated in the written warranty, other than that its on your insurance , because hitting a high curb or a tree trunk would be called an accident. not the dealer. Not trying to upset anyone, just letting you know from experience. That's why you have insurance. relax ,have a safe day. enjoy your truck. You are insured either way RIGHT !

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
All I am saying is warranty is good only under normal driving conditions. That is stated in the written warranty, other than that its on your insurance , because hitting a high curb or a tree trunk would be called an accident. not the dealer. Not trying to upset anyone, just letting you know from experience. That's why you have insurance. relax ,have a safe day. enjoy your truck. You are insured either way RIGHT !

Registered
Most of the issues with the newer trucks out with the 6-8-10 speed transmissions are not necessarily issues with the transmissions but with the ECU/TCM factory tunes to squeeze out the most MPG's. So it may be a positive that they are only stating a 10% improvement in MPG's with the new engine/trans for better drive ability.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Time will tell. Thanks for your input. I just don't want to fix what is not broken for an extra mile per gallon. Time will tell and I may buy a new one after they are in service for at least 2 years. a 10% inprovement on 20 miles a gallon equals out to 2 miles extra to the gallon. I don't think that will happen. I don't want to buy a new truck and have to change the factory ECU/TCM settings that will void the warentee. I trust Nissan engineers more than a performance factory. Nissan puts money into cars. They sell more cars than trucks. -- just look it up. I don't need Computer issues to get me that .5 miles a gallon extra gain in millage. I am not that stretched out for gas yet with my budget. Good luck and I will have to see how much the new small engine performs and how much extra millage it gets with no ECU problems, and how much torque is lost for off roading. If I wanted better millage I would buy another truck model. I have time to wait and watch while I enjoy my 4.0 PRO-4X proven truck. Good luck . I hope you are as happy as us 4.0 engine truck owners. Enjoy your extra millage and extra transmission gears. Your Frontier friend. Enjoy life.

Registered
It would all depend on the shift points. I'd really love if it was adjustable someway or another. I did rent a SV v6 4x4 recently for an 18 day vacation in Kaua'i and truth be told, I haven't found an automatic I like. Going up a slight hill about 40 mph and the SV would lose speed and downshift and then accelerate and upshift again and then slow down and repeat. Didn't matter if I varied the throttle as then it would either slow way down or downshift and accelerate into the car in front. My 6M never does that **** :) So a nine speed might be better as it might find a gear to be happy in instead of shifting up and down constantly. Also the SV shifter fails in that it requires you to push the button to drop into 3rd and if it was a good system it would require another deeper push to drop into 2nd, you know, like pretty much every old school column shifter does. That while offroading had me bumping it into 2nd when I didn't want that.

I'll guess the nine speed would have a gate to the side where you push or pull the lever and then forwards and backwards to raise or drop a gear.

Side note is my wife has a nice VW Atlas SE with the 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder with an eight speed trans. That thing is roughly 4,200# and will still get average 25 mpg with city and highway mixed driving. Sucky thing is the trans shift points. It goes 1-2 nicely and if you don't step on the throttle any more since takeoff it does a super short shift to 3rd and just about stops accelerating, this after the 1st to 2nd gives decent acceleration (keeping up with traffic at least). I found I have to do the regular accelerating and then a few moments after it's in 2nd I have to push the throttle another 1/4" to 1/2" to keep up the acceleration and keep it from upshifting too quickly. So if the new nine speed is meant for economy it will try to upshift as fast as possible and probably be a pain and do it stupidly in order to "save" a few drops of gas.

I think I'll keep my 2006 KC Nismo 6M until it dies, it has a little over 138,000 on it now and it's worth something like 3k as a trade in anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts