Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 4door/4x4/v6 frontier for my wife's Daily. Love this little truck and we are preparing to use it for our hobby which entails pulling a 7'w x 2'L x 6'6" tall enclosed trailer for hauling antiques. I do not for see weight being an issue, but wind drag might. Should I upgrade tranny cooler any other suggestions? @" reciever hitch, wiring harness and brake controller in the works. My main concern is the tranny cooler, I have not found much on the net regarding the subject for the Frontier

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Enjoy and jump in and participate

·
Registered
241 Posts
7'w x 2'L x 6'6" tall enclosed trailer
I imagine that a tall and wide but 2' long trailer might have stability issues, but I'm presuming that's a typo (lol) :)

I think my 2016 4wd kc 6cylinder is rated at what, 6500 pounds towing capacity? If that's the case, depending on the weight of the antiques and how you load them into the trailer, you shouldn't have many problems, though you might notice the weight when starting and/or stopping, so just drive carefully and you should be fine..

As for a tranny cooler and the other issues, I really haven't found the need to look into it when hauling around a 7x14 motorcycle trailer (and bike).

YMMV,

Wayne

To continue, rather than editing, I'd say give it a few test runs to see if you notice the need for anything before going to the expense and worries associated with upgrading stuff. The Frontier might just surprise you...

Wayne

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome. This forum is great so jump on in!!

I've always been a proponent of tranny coolers. Anything to keep the temps down in there is a good thing for long term health. I've even put them on cars that don't tow just as a cheap bit of insurance - and no problems with several cars over the 200k mile mark. Uhaul installs them regularly if you don't want to go to a dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts
I think my 2016 4wd kc 6cylinder is rated at what, 6500 pounds towing capacity?
It is likely a bit less if you have the VTP package option.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I seem to vaguely remember the sticker inside my driver's door saying something about that...

Wayne
I want to say in the V6 class it's 6,100 for the 4X4 Crew Cab and 6,300 for the 2WD Crew Cab and 6,500 for the 2WD King Cab and the I4 is simply 3,500

thus was culled from a 2015 brochure...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Already has external tranny cooler from factory. Should not need additional cooling. Furniture is not that heavy - should have no problems. When need more power, turn OD off, gear down if needed - the VQ40 has pretty good low end torque and high RPM performance - let it work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its been awhile since I posted. An update if you will, so far the truck has performed flawlessly and just turned 22k. We pull the trailer quite often and I did make a Typo in my first post. The trailer is 6'6" tall with a sad excuse for a V nose. It is 7' wide and 12' long and a single axle. Wind is our main draw back so far which kills the fuel mileage. In the Nissan Frontier defense, it does to same on my F-250 gasser. I sure wished a larger fuel tank was available on the Frontiers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts