Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

My 2010 LE 4x4 CC is nearing its 3 month aniversary with a bit over 1,800 miles. The manual says change the oil ever 3750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. I've read somewhere on this forum that some Frontier owners change their oil ever 5K miles.

Since I have so few miles on the truck I was wondering if I could maybe wait a few weeks beyond the 3 month timeframe to get the oil changed. I've tried to get the filter off but no luck so I'll let the dealership do the first change.

If there is another thread on this topic I appologize for creating a similar one.

Thanks!

Mickiemac

·
Registered
318 Posts
For myself, I go by mileage more than by time...

I changed the oil in my 370z at 1200 miles from the OEM fill.

I put in my oil of choice (Mobil1 5w30), and will change it out again this spring. Then I'll put in Mobil1 15K oil, and change it annually.

I plan to do the same thing with my Frontier.

With my 2005 Civic, I did it the same way. With my motorcycle, I ran the OEM fill until 500 miles, and swapped for Mobil1 MX4T, and have ran it ever since.

I likes Mobil1. Others are big into AMSOIL. Others are big into Redline, or Royal Purple. Personally, it's about availability and track record, which for me, Mobil1 fits the bill.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would wait. Manual says 3750, but I change mine at 3k as it takes me a while (4-5 months) to put that on. If your worried about time, when I bought my 09' it was an early production and was actually built in July of 08'. It sat around until May of last year when I bought it so it was technically 10 months old. I wanted to get some miles under it and didnt change it until Sept at around 3k. This was recommended by dealer and folks on this board.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
it should be time for your first oil change anyways. think the first change is something like 1500 or even 1800 anyways. switch to mobil 1 and dont worry about it till 5k with the regular or 8k or so with the extended performance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 on mobil one. Changed mine at 3k miles and will change a 5 k miles going forward. Where in manual does it say 3750 miles ? I looked thoroughly and it listed oil change intervals as according to oil companies recommendation? Maybe I missed something...

I definitely noticed a difference after changing to mobile 1.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Umm... What kind of difference did you notice?

Also, what type of Mobil1 are people using? There is the standard one with the red cap and tham the extended with the gold cap (I think). I have read that the standard Mobil 1 is not really 100% full synthetic?

·
Registered
318 Posts
+1 on mobil one. Changed mine at 3k miles and will change a 5 k miles going forward. Where in manual does it say 3750 miles ? I looked thoroughly and it listed oil change intervals as according to oil companies recommendation? Maybe I missed something...

Schedule I is 3750 miles
Schedule II is 7500 miles

This is on both the Frontier and the 370z, and probably a number of other vehicles.

I'm going off Mobil1's 15K oil. Once I run it through my Z this spring, I'll send off a sample to blackstone when I drain it out the following spring, and see what they say in regards to oil life. I don't anticipate putting on more than 7500 miles in any case on that car.

Same with my truck...7500 miles or less, I'm betting.

I also have a motorcycle, so between the 3, I highly doubt I'll put that many miles on all three.

Wife has a civic, she drives the * out of it, but not as bad as I've seen in the classifieds for ones near her model year...

Umm... What kind of difference did you notice?

Also, what type of Mobil1 are people using? There is the standard one with the red cap and tham the extended with the gold cap (I think). I have read that the standard Mobil 1 is not really 100% full synthetic?
Mobil1 is synthetic across the board. The 15k oil has more additives in it is all.

The standard stuff (cheap, buy it by the 5 quart container at walmart...) is what i use on initial fill, then after that I go with the more expensive 15k Extended Performance oil.

I also use their filters, since they are the same as K&N filters, except without the nut and white paint job.

As for the difference, IMO, anyone that says they notice a difference with oil is having placebo effect. One oil isn't going to produce enough of a difference over another...most of it comes down to sheering and stability...not how slippery it is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As for the difference, IMO, anyone that says they notice a difference with oil is having placebo effect. One oil isn't going to produce enough of a difference over another...most of it comes down to sheering and stability...not how slippery it is.[/QUOTE]

I politely disagree, I noticed my engine was quieter after the change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on what Kannibul stated about Schedule 1 & 2, I checked the service/maintenance booklet and I fall under Schedule 2. Even though I don't drive that many miles (7500) in total during the 6 month interval, I would change the oil based on time passed. I was told by someone at the dealership (some tech advisor for new car sales) that I had to change the oil every 3 months or 3750 miles. I thought that was kinda odd as my 2007 Highlander Hybrid is 6 months or 6K miles. I usually change it just before 6 months has passed. So, based on that and the responses here I have a bit more time to schedule the oil change. I figure another month or so which would put me at about 2500 miles. After the first change I will plan on every 5 months or so. I don't drive a lot but when I do it's mostly secondary two-lane highway, rural roads and some 4 lane highway. I drive long enough and at speeds that definitely qualify for Schedule 2 oil changes.

Regards -

Mickiemac

·
Super Moderator
11,729 Posts
They use a a freakin gorilla at the factory to put their filters on. Boy they are near impossible to get off the first time.
I change my oil at the first 1000 miles then at 3000 miles and every 3000 thereafter.
My dealer suggests it at 1000 miles for the first time, and will do it at no cost to me. That's when I do it, but do it myself rather than go there.
Actually time is very important versus mileage because there are acids produced as the oil breaks down and it's not good to have all those nice shiny parts just sitting in it. My childhood friend owns three different motorcycle franchises (Honda. Yamaha, KTM)and has told me to not sit on old oil in the bike, it's not worth the potential problems.
That's why it's so important to run a motor until all condensation is evaporated from it. Some people will start a stored bike or classic car for a few minutes then shut it down. Those are times it would have been better off left alone.

Clint

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
As for the difference, IMO, anyone that says they notice a difference with oil is having placebo effect. One oil isn't going to produce enough of a difference over another...most of it comes down to sheering and stability...not how slippery it is.
i will call you on that. i have seen VAST differences between dino, amsoil, and mobil 1. valve ticking going away is NOT a placebo effect, neither is smoother idling after changing the oil. please feel free to post FACTS about this placebo effect from one oil to another.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think oil & filter changes along with air filters are the most important thing you can do for your truck. But I also think you should always use the recommended grade and weight. There is a lot of time and money invested in developing an engine and I don't think the manufacturer is going to tell you to use something that is not right. I agree that some synthetics have merit. When the oils with the TFE came out, everyone rushed to using them. They claimed that you had to adjust the idle down because the rpm shot up because of the reduced friction. They would show a guy trying to hold a screw driver between they're fingers and it sliding out. Hell man you could dip your fingers in snot and do that.

I don't know where I'm going with this except to say most times folks fool themselves in to believing thing such as noticing a change in the engine after changing to a different oil.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I did my 1st one under 1000 miles and have been going 5000 using mobil 1 syn. 53,000 with no probs or oil usage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have always used Mobil 1 in my Ranger and plan to use it in my Frontier when it arrives. Following this thread I did some searching on the net about Mobil 1. I found this http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html . I will have to do more fact checking, but I found this interesting. And as always just because someone puts it on the net does not make it true.

Personally on my Range I have always run 10,000mi between changes and put a new filter on every 3000 to 3500 miles. 12yrs later it still is running strong. My brother does the same and puts a crap load of miles on his cars before he sells them.

I guess everyone has their own thing!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Personally on my Range I have always run 10,000mi between changes and put a new filter on every 3000 to 3500 miles. 12yrs later it still is running strong. My brother does the same and puts a crap load of miles on his cars before he sells them.

I guess everyone has their own thing!
How many miles are on the ranger after 12 years?

I meant to say above that for the little bit of cost for oil why would you just change the filter? The filter does not remove the acids that formin the oil. That is why I asked the milage, if you are driving a thousand miles a week a filter change every three weeks might be OK. But if you are like my wife and only 10,000 miles a year I don't think you are helping it any.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got 165,000 miles on a 2.3 4 banger that has be used for a work truck since the being of its life. Most of those are short hauls, stop and go.

That maybe true about the filter, don't really know. But the testers in the article above changed the filter every 5000.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes I read the link. There is no way anyone is going to convince me that changing the oil at 3,000 mile intervals is bad. I've had two nissan trucks that I put over 380,000 on each in less then ten years and another that I put 415,000 on in ten years and the one I own now that 235,000 on in6 years, all have have oil and filter changes every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Based on what Kannibul stated about Schedule 1 & 2, I checked the service/maintenance booklet and I fall under Schedule 2. Even though I don't drive that many miles (7500) in total during the 6 month interval, I would change the oil based on time passed. I was told by someone at the dealership (some tech advisor for new car sales) that I had to change the oil every 3 months or 3750 miles. I thought that was kinda odd as my 2007 Highlander Hybrid is 6 months or 6K miles. I usually change it just before 6 months has passed. So, based on that and the responses here I have a bit more time to schedule the oil change. I figure another month or so which would put me at about 2500 miles. After the first change I will plan on every 5 months or so. I don't drive a lot but when I do it's mostly secondary two-lane highway, rural roads and some 4 lane highway. I drive long enough and at speeds that definitely qualify for Schedule 2 oil changes.

Regards -

Mickiemac
3K /3mo is an old tactic used by oil companies to sell more oil, nothing more.

The best way you can manage your oil changes is to change you oil and send off a sample to be tested. They'll tell you how much of the additive package is "left" and give recommendations based on how worn out the oil you send in is.

Or, just trust your instincts.

How many miles are on the ranger after 12 years?

I meant to say above that for the little bit of cost for oil why would you just change the filter? The filter does not remove the acids that formin the oil. That is why I asked the milage, if you are driving a thousand miles a week a filter change every three weeks might be OK. But if you are like my wife and only 10,000 miles a year I don't think you are helping it any.
I hada 97 that had 143K on the 2.3L Pinto engine Ford was sticking in them. The engine ran strong for what it was....and I'd go years without changing the oil because, to be honest, I hated that truck...I bought it because I needed cheap transportation that could handle my guitar/band habit. It did the job and fit the budget. If I had kept it, I was going to dump in 5qts of what i had left over from draining out all the oil containers in my garage, as well as a quart or two of some 30wt oil that I've had for over 10 years sitting in a box....and see what that'd do to it...probably nothing...lol

Now, the rest of the truck...it had some issues, but the engine ran as strong as the day I got it, 9 years and 100K before.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes I read the link. There is no way anyone is going to convince me that changing the oil at 3,000 mile intervals is bad. I've had two nissan trucks that I put over 380,000 on each in less then ten years and another that I put 415,000 on in ten years and the one I own now that 235,000 on in6 years, all have have oil and filter changes every 3,000 miles.
bad, no...I mean under certain circumstances that I can't think of, I'm sure there's SOME reason not to...lol

Unnessicary, sure. Overdone, sure. It's like changing 50,000 mile tires at 20,000 miles, IMO.

I politely disagree, I noticed my engine was quieter after the change.[/QUOTE]

Quieter, sure, initially, since older oil has less viscosity, so noises will pop up simply due to the oil not insulating/absorbing noises as well.

Different you can feel, as in power output from the engine...one brand of oil vs another - no, and that was my intended point :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts