Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60k miles, 4.0 V6.
Sort of inherited it, belongs to 82 yr old in-law, garage kept.

Does the radiator need to be changed? I’ve read about problems of coolant into trans. (Has original antifreeze)

Is there a list of need to do mods? (Reliability only)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Wow...that's a rare truck truck indeed! From a reliability standpoint, if it's an auto transmission I would immediately address the SMOD issue. Judging by the year and considering it's age and the fact that it still has the original coolant and original radiator, then it would be a prime candidate for that issue. If it's a manual transmission then SMOD is a non-issue. Search 'SMOD' for everything you would ever want to know about it.

Another reliability issue I would address is the rear axle vent. They are very common failure points on these trucks especially considering its age. Can cause rear axle seal failures. Search 'axle vent mod'.

The only other common problem for that range of year trucks is timing chain/chain tensioners. It didn't affect every truck however so it's possible that wouldn't be an issue. Since you already have 60k miles...that issue would have most likely presented itself already.

Otherwise since it has 60k miles it would be a good time to change/flush all fluids in the truck...including brake, trans, diff(s), transfer case if 4x4, coolant, engine, etc.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
If you have an auto, use your VIN at the dealer to see if it is involved with the settlement. It was not a recall but trannies and radiators were changed out for free. This is your most important item to cover. You can drive this truck for years before it runs into problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
60k miles, 4.0 V6.

Does the radiator need to be changed? I’ve read about problems of coolant into trans. (Has original antifreeze)

60k miles, 4.0 V6.

I likewise am a new owner of an all original 2006. So going through the same things. Good to have a community of experience here!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks, I’ll check dealer today with VIN, and pics? All I got now that I took to buy parts
View attachment 339936 View attachment 339937
I have a 2005, all that radiator stuff ran out a long time ago. Get a different radiator installed if you have an auto, some people bypass them but I personally would just replace the radiator. The bad timing chains were a stamping issue that made them sharp and it would have happened already. The early models were prone to the paint peeling off around the windshield. Rear diff breathers often clogged. Third brake light tends to leak on the earlier ones more. There was also an issue on the early ones with fan belt alignment and the tensioner. The fan clutches were pretty vulnerable on the early ones. If you install fog lights yourself if you don't have them the fog light/headlight stalk is different in 05 and 06 and into 07 than the rest. The basic radios in the 05 and 06 were carryovers from the first gen and they were junk. All in all they're pretty reliable you just have to go through them and do the maintenance. Welcome to the forum, try to get some pictures posted up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts