Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new set of Steelcraft nerf bars on my 2007 Frontier Nismo crewcab. The mounting studs are quite rusted. I attempted the install last night and ran into a few problems.

The first problem with the rusty studs is that the first few threads do not grip enough to start screwing on the nut. The bracket, washer and lock washer are too thick. If the stud wasn't so rusted, the first threads would grip enough to start tightening it. I sprayed some PB blaster penetrating oil and eliminated the lock washer just to try to screw on the nut. It did tighten down, but then I torqued it too much and it striped. It was the bottom stud on the passenger front bracket which is pretty load bearing.

I stopped there as the rest of the studs look the same. I have searched the forum for this issue but didn't find anything. Someone with a Titan stripped their stud and someone said the studs are welded on the Titan.

Not sure what I should do. Once the stud was striped, it was silver again, not rusted. I guess I could try to re-thread the stud with a smaller dimension and buy new nuts?

Anyone else come across this?

Matt

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was at Harbor Freight the other day and noticed a selection of "thread chasers" which
are like a threading die except used to clean up existing threads rather than cut new
ones. Might want to try that first.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Don't think you will be able reduce the size of the studs. Might want to go over the threads with the same size die.
Where are the studs attached to?
Photo would help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I used a die to clean the existing rusted studs. For the one I had already striped, I used the next smallest die and re-threaded it. Then I used the matching nut. Everything is solid now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished install:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had the same issue on my 06, I hit them with penetrating oil and then started with a piece of sand paper, then remove to a small wire brush. Once the rust/gunk was getting loose I'd thread the nut on back and forth, repeat with the sandpaper/brush until I got the nut to bottom out. Installed the APS iBoard 5" rails and love them. They came with 3 mounting brackets per side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts