Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here noticed any abnormal wear related to having a lift,like ball joints ,spring wear,frame damage etc.not what was caused by doing any wheeling.
i was just talking to a mechanic the other day and he said it was the worst thing you can do to a truck.
i am thinking that was just an opinion, lets hear what you all have to say about it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I only have a 2.5/1.5 lift. Have had it on for about 8 months. Other than getting it properly aligned(took a second shop to get it right)....no problems

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
has anyone here noticed any abnormal wear related to having a lift,like ball joints ,spring wear,frame damage etc.not what was caused by doing any wheeling.
i was just talking to a mechanic the other day and he said it was the worst thing you can do to a truck.
i am thinking that was just an opinion, lets hear what you all have to say about it.
ok, just curious what part of a lift you think is going to cause frame damage? ball joints, u joints I can see because you're changing angles.

my truck's been lifted for 4.5 years now (over 70k miles) and I'm not seeing any abnormal wear at all.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, just curious what part of a lift you think is going to cause frame damage? ball joints, u joints I can see because you're changing angles.

just trying to get at wear and tear issues and things related .
what will having it do to these thing decrease life of things or no?
its just an opinion

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
mileage:laugh:

·
Registered
133 Posts
The only negative thing of lifting a truck?

Your arms get really tired.
From having to beat off all the hotties that wanna jump your bones.

Consider it fair warning. Start working out now. I hear P90X does good things.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Lets see, besides the increased ball joint wear, CV boot wear, steering system wear, u-joint wear, additional load on the engine at all times due to larger tires, decreased fuel economy, higher trasnmission and engine temps, decreased dynamic response, usually worse handling due to large/heavy tires, higher chance of rollover due to high center of gravity....oh and short chicks have issues getting in :rofl:

But it does do wonders for picking up decently tall chicks hahahahah.

Thought not nearly as much as my bike does :)

The only negative thing of lifting a truck?

Your arms get really tired.
From having to beat off all the hotties that wanna jump your bones.

Consider it fair warning. Start working out now. I hear P90X does good things.
Winning response LOL

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Everything has it limits. As long as you keep them within those limits, they will perform to their designed life expencity. If you lift the rear too much, you carrier and pinion angles will be affected. They make carrier drop brackes and pinion shims to help fix this so that is an option. If you lift the front too much, the joints will wear but once again, some companies are using different joints with custom spindles to fix this issue.

As long as you stay within the parts spec, it will be fine.

Past all of that, it is the mpg hit that hurts the most. If it is 0.5 mpg, it adds up over the 12k (nominal) the truck is driven a year.

Since the mechanic told you that, I would avoid them at all costs. He appears to be pretty narrow minded and probably doesn't know how to deal with newer vehicles or modified ones. Either way, go to a different shop.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that seems be to the most educated advise i have read all day,the mechanic
works with the same company i do,(another dept)narrow minded:smile
he also drives a dodge
thanks

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have to say, it is hard to find a mechanic that is open minded and is current on technology. A lot are still used to torsion bars on trucks while a lot of truck have coilovers today. Heck, my neighbor just bought an '10 XE and added a toneau cover and the guy said he could lift the front for cheap using a new torsion bar adjustor. Just shows how much that guy new about the 2nd gen Frontiers.

Side Note: I talked to my neighbor about the lift and what his options are and just suggested that if he wants to lift it, come to me with any questions and after it arrives, we can install it in his driveway so he doesn't have to pay anyone. Just looking out for the fellow Frontier owners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts