Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i've mentioned it acouple of times about wanting to do a dual battey set-up and i've found the the spot where i want to mount it in the engine compartment. Its where the stock Airbox is currently. So a snorkel and a custom configured means of mounting the tubes would be in order. To make this work. Unless someone can point me in another direction. Im open for idea's.

Now im just needing the added information on what i need to collect to make this work properly. Its on my wish lists. So im just in the avenue of doing the needed research and collecting parts at this point.

So please no flaming. I would like this thread to stay informal at all times. As i will be using this as information on the process needed ahead. Thanks......

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
why?

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
To run extra equipment without using my primary batteries juice. Such as extra lights etc.
oh, I would just get a better battery and a bigger/more powerful alternator if possible

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^Thanks mike

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
most setups i have seen are in the bed inside a battery box. under the hood is a decent amount of modding, just to run some lights

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
most setups i have seen are in the bed inside a battery box. under the hood is a decent amount of modding, just to run some lights
Also for a winch. Then upwards of 5 lights added upfront. For an overhead shooting platform. There will be 1 of these that will be intrigrated into a spotlight. Like what police officers have. With a handle for movement that goes through the cab. Then 2 added in the back for extra lighting. Also upgraded audio equipment. Alot of little things. That i just dont want all on one battery.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
just know you need to buy 2 new batteries that are the same. if you try to use the battery you already have and hook up another the old battery will kill the old one.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Thanks good to know

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
just know you need to buy 2 new batteries that are the same. if you try to use the battery you already have and hook up another the old battery will kill the old one.
i've never had this happen and i have set up a few dual battery systems in my trucks and cars. i always used a new sealed battery inside the cab. the isolator is a must, as rat pointed out

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know why you would need to buy two of the same batteries. If it is hooked up properly then the alternator will provide power to both, but the backup should be setup so there is no energy withdraw from the same connection. Kinda like a check valve. The energy flows in only one direction. Then you have your winch and additional lights connected to the secondary battery.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The batteries do not need to be the same if you are running a 12v set-up but if you are trying to go the 24v route, then you will need to make sure they are the same.

IDK if you have thought of this but what if you mount the second under the bed? Heck, maybe relocate both to the passenger side of the bed. It would help equal out the weight from the gas tank. IDK how the exhaust will affect this area but it is a thought. Then when you SAS, add a bed-cage and relocate them again to that with a fuel cell.

I think your idea of putting it under the hood is nice but it is already cramped. Removing the intake box and trying to use that area is great in theory but I am not sure you will be able to find a direct route for your intake tube and a filter. You need to find out how large a filter you need. I have heard the Titan's filter is too small from the factory but I am not sure if this flows over to the Frontier.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The batteries do not need to be the same if you are running a 12v set-up but if you are trying to go the 24v route, then you will need to make sure they are the same.

IDK if you have thought of this but what if you mount the second under the bed? Heck, maybe relocate both to the passenger side of the bed. It would help equal out the weight from the gas tank. IDK how the exhaust will affect this area but it is a thought. Then when you SAS, add a bed-cage and relocate them again to that with a fuel cell.

I think your idea of putting it under the hood is nice but it is already cramped. Removing the intake box and trying to use that area is great in theory but I am not sure you will be able to find a direct route for your intake tube and a filter. You need to find out how large a filter you need. I have heard the Titan's filter is too small from the factory but I am not sure if this flows over to the Frontier.
Those are some wonderful ideas.

I've looked at getting a coned shape K&N filter from Autozone and run that into my stock tube with the MAF sensor. To eliminate some needed room.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The cone filter works, just make sure it has enough surface area. The one thing thou, how will it work with the snorkle? I thought that it needed to be a sealed surface or else the water will enter the intake tube below the intended area?

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The cone filter works, just make sure it has enough surface area. The one thing thou, how will it work with the snorkle? I thought that it needed to be a sealed surface or else the water will enter the intake tube below the intended area?
The snorkel im looking at is about $500 bucks. So thats alittle expensive at the moment. So that idea is on the drawing table but put on hold. Because i want my skids and other armor before i get that.

This is a good starting point because if i can get my dual battery set-up in and have it working. I can munipulate the tube to add enough airflow to suffice having the snorkel. If i feel i cant. Then that money is going to spent else where.

But your right about it having to be a secured & sealed surface.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i've never had this happen and i have set up a few dual battery systems in my trucks and cars. i always used a new sealed battery inside the cab. the isolator is a must, as rat pointed out
we have had it happen in several of our ambulances. one battery would go bad, replaced it then the old battery would shorten the life of the new one. its best to start off with 2 new, or as close to the same age and the same CCA.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It happened probably because the system was a 12 volt parallel system which increases the ampacity but everything still runs off of both batteries. In that case you would want to match the batteries. You can run it split parallel as I mentioned before so that the second battery is actually isolated from the primary battery (I am assuming as I have not researched as to the availability of parts for that particular setup). You might want to upgrade the alternator though. Just a thought.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone have a link for a durable upgraded Alternator ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts