Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a good friend of mine has gone to work for a really top shelf performance shop recently that makes single turbo kits for 350's. today he told me if i come down to the shop, they'd like to test fit one of these kits on my frontier and see what the results are. i don't know what kind of boost the kit is capable of but i would imagine it can easily do the 6-8 psi level which is where the stock VQ can take reliably. if it is not too hard to retrofit to a frontier, would there be anyone interested in the kit? before anyone asks, i don't know what the price would be. this would be more of a "yea i want that, no matter what it costs as long as it's reasonable" question than a "i might be, depends on the cost" question. there are many advantages to doing turbocharging over supercharging. might just be a pipedream but we'll see... just seeing who might be interested and if they are, what they are looking for out of the kit (power levels, tuneability, etc)

·
Registered
293 Posts
What size of turbo in their kit? I'm thinking it won't spool untill top rpm range with our 4.0.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
What size of turbo in their kit? I'm thinking it won't spool untill top rpm range with our 4.0.
if it was sized properly that wouldnt be the case.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea this would probably be a small to mid size turbo, should spool easily before 3k rpm, not top end, especially with only 6-8psi max boost

·
Registered
431 Posts
can my fronty go with ill test 1 too! ill even offroad with it & see how that works!

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
431 Posts
sweet lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
Keep us posted, Sts is a hard price to beat especially with the results Hines posted...... But there are also disadvantages of the Sts. Like if someone late at night had a good saws-all, ouch!

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree STS is a cost effective way to go but if you look at the amount of energy wasted in an STS setup, if this kit is not much more cost... the results should speak for themselves

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
hmmm..I am interested. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
152 Posts
i thought the 350Z heads are diff than the VQ heads at least thats what i found out when i was going to try to used a 350 Kit on my truck

·
Registered
313 Posts
just yesterday my boss asked if i was done spending money on my truck. i wont be if a good turbo kit rolls out.

·
Registered
923 Posts
subscribed would love to hear more about this

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i thought the 350Z heads are diff than the VQ heads at least thats what i found out when i was going to try to used a 350 Kit on my truck
not sure about that one, my understanding was that all VQ heads are the same with the exception of the 370z motor with VVEL.

·
Registered
431 Posts
is there a hp/tq estimate on this set up yet HKY?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i've really never understood peoples misconception that turbos have so much lag because now days even fairly large turbos have relatively little lag. the vq35 has no trouble at all getting twin 20g up to full boost before or around 3k rpm so thats 1.75L of motor spinning a 20g turbo just fine and the turbonetics kit with the t60-1 was about the same, the only thing about the single turbo kits is room, there isn't enough room to fit a large enough single turbo to get the same power that the twin turbo kits can make.

vq35 and vq40 heads are the same and if the internals in the vq40 are built to the same strength levels of the vq35 then with the lower compression of the vq40 it should be able to handle a couple more psi safely. the plastic intake is going to be something to worry about though.

make sure you get lots of pics during the project for everyone, its going to be hard to gauge interest until there is something to show people but i'm subscribed

1 - 20 of 38 Posts