Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m looking to get some subs for my 2017 CC, and I previously had two 12” JBL’s in my last car. Picked up this truck about 6 months ago and it’s time for an upgrade. I’m having issues finding an enclosure that will hold two 12’s, but I’m not sure if two 12’s would sound any good in that small of a space (under the back seat) not to mention I’m having trouble finding a sealed box for two 12’s that fit under the backseat. Would it just be better to go with two 10’s, how much of a sarifice is it with the 10’s over the 12’s? Would standard 10 and 12’s even fit under the seat? I feel like I’m overwhelmed trying to find the solution for this truck, I just need some insight, thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
No 12's. No room. Unless you build some impractical custom enclosure that eats up leg room by sticking out from under the rear seats. But IMO this is dumb, as you compromise the utility of the vehicle simply to fit a speaker in it that is too big to begin with.

The max you can fit under the rear seats with what's available is 2x 10" subs, no more than 4.36" mounting depth (assuming enclosure is built with 5/8" MDF).

Not sure why you're overwhelmed - as there's only a few prefab under seat enclosures available for the crew cab Frontier. Try typing "crew cab subwoofer" in the search box above to see what's out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No 12's. No room. Unless you build some impractical custom enclosure that eats up leg room by sticking out from under the rear seats. But IMO this is dumb, as you compromise the utility of the vehicle simply to fit a speaker in it that is too big to begin with.

The max you can fit under the rear seats with what's available is 2x 10" subs, no more than 4.36" mounting depth (assuming enclosure is built with 5/8" MDF).

Not sure why you're overwhelmed - as there's only a few prefab under seat enclosures available for the crew cab Frontier. Try typing "crew cab subwoofer" in the search box above to see what's out there.
Thank you, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed a fox box, and a brutal sounds mini brute 12" in my crew cab over the weekend. The fox box comes cut out for a 10, but there's another "template" line around it that allows you to cut out the diameter to allow a 12 to fit. Finding the right mounting depth is the issue, and the mini brute fit PERFECT.
It's 600w RMS and paired with my Kicker 600.1 amp. This thing gets very loud. Not competition loud, but it gets down. I've had plenty of loud audio systems, American Bass, Treo, Kicker, etc and this one is right up there with them. My brother has the same box in his Equator but stuck with a 10" Skar sub, and it sounds pretty decent as well. Not quite as loud as my 12.

The box is ported, 1.75cf and is a little pricey at $230 shipped but worth every penny.

As far as I know, there is no 2 - 12's box available or one that works. There may be a sealed version, but I'm a ported guy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The website is pretty low key with their pictures. I found this on the frontier facebook group, and gave it a shot. It's a fantastic looking box. I could toss a few pictures up if necessary, or one could probably find something on facebook or google pretty simply.
It's an option, and likely the best option for the CC people looking to get somewhat loud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I stole these pics quick from FB, however this was the guy that got me looking into them. If anyone is interested I could grab photos of the box in my truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No, I installed a double din pioneer head unit. I've never been a fan, or impressed with using the in-line converter things. Cant help you out much there, sorry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On ebay they have an adapter that connects to the back of the headunit give you 2 rca Jack's and a line out to power on the amp. Looks like an easy plug in install.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check this out
Add an Amp Amplifier Adapter Interface to Factory OEM Car Stereo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQUI55O/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Upv7DbMAYV6YY
OK, this is pretty cool. Looks like it taps into the existing wires and sends the R and L signal to some kind of filter thing with RCA plugs on it, and taps into the 12+ also. The plug is just an extension, but all the work is done for you.
I found ebay listing for those protesting amazon's politics...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-An-Amp-Amplifier-Adapter-Interface-for-some-Infiniti-Nissan-Subaru-OEM-Radio/123435642099?hash=item1cbd566cf3:g:2nkAAOSw9N1V2NRa page 23 list my vehicle. About the same price. Seems to be almost all Nissan vehicles fit this.

Almost as good as the day I discovered Fuse Taps.
My last truck was full of fuse taps.
thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like pics.
Here is my simple, crude amp solution. In my last truck it just sat under drivers seat loose.
Here, I used aluminum sheet metal, almost flashing but not as thin. I put a long piece of plywood under for something the screws to attach to and give some rigidity. I wanted to screw to the seat frame, but too many layers of steel back there, so I used VHB tape. The gadget is off the floor enough that some of the HVAC air can still get through.

raw materials

Finished.
It is not rock solid, but plenty secure enough for vehicle travel.
There is airbag wires under the seat also, so important to keep those safe.

I really do not expect a lot of back seat passengers, so am not worried about the foot room. You could attach something like this further towards the front to allow room for little toes. Mine is a big flat amp, so takes up a lot of real estate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks good. Looks like it should get allot of air to it.I installed my amp behind the rear seats on my last frontier and it left an outline on the backside of the seat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm still waiting on a part, but is there 12+ inside the cabin sufficient to run an amp, if so where? or do I need to pull from the main fuse box or the battery under the hood?
The lil fuse box in glove box seems too thin of wire to supply an amp. (there is a open fuse slot though).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought that wiring harness that splices into the speakers for a sub out and a remote on.
I give the product a Fail.
It functions as intended, but they took the sub feed off of the front speakers when they should have spliced into the rear speakers. Now I cannot control the sub volume simply by adjusting the rear speakers volume, which would have been the better choice. I can adjust on the amp, but for every mp3 recording I may want to fine tune according to the file quality.
Now I have to figure out how to splice in a line volume adjuster either before it enters the amp, or on the speaker wire side. Not ideal in the least.

For amp power I ran a 10g wire fron the battery's fuse thing, through a 30 amp circuit breaker, across to the driver's sice, through the existing firewall hole, through the center console, and under the seat to the passengers side where the amp is.
I did ground to the seat bolt, but that bolt can be seen from under the truck, and I plan to ground that bolt to the frame one day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts