Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Need some advice on installing a set of 5125s on the rear of my '05. Got a mini-lift from PRG installed but I already had these blistiens so I didn't order the complete kit from Greg.
Anyway I'm trying to install them, but the ends don't seem quite right; I can get them on and the bolts through them(without the blistien sleeves), but there seems to be some play in them, esp. on the bottom. I noticed at the PRG site they mention they modify the ends to make them fit the Frontier better, but I have no idea what that means.
Any ideas on what I should do, if anything?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I believe bilstein does not make a stock replacement for our trucks, Greg does modify the ends to make it fit. Maybe give greg a call and you can send him yours and he will do the mod for u, should be pretty cheap. my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

Per nissanismo's advice I contracted Greg @ PRG and got this response:

"press out the lower bushing and buy new 3/4id urethane bushings...press those in. Then buy some 3/4x .095 wall chromoly tubing and cut two pieces to 1.65" long and press those into the new bushings...wa la...done...simple as that."

I searched around locally for what I needed and came up with zilch, so I ended up ordering new Bilstien bushings from here: Bilstein 98108G - Bilstein Replacement Shock Bushings - Overview - SummitRacing.com
and the chromoly tubing from here:
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=9879&step=4&id=250&top_cat=197

I'll post back when I get it finished...or not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually have this same situation going on. I ordered a package from 4x4 parts and it came with the 5125s in the rear. In the box there were two smaller sleeves and one larger one. I emailed the tech guy at 4x4 parts(I called the 4x4 parts number and they told me to email their tech guy b/c he knows everything about Nissans) and he told me to press in the larger sleeve with a vise and that should be it.

Does that seem right or will the bushing not be wide enough? I tried to put the larger one in but it didn't seem like it would fit. Let me know if you guys have had this experience.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is the Bushing you need..
I know this because when I bought my 5125's the bushing had a number on them, I looked it up online and these came up, bought a pair, exact same ones..
19904 Shock Mount Bushings - Hourglass - 3/4 Inch ID
Then you need a steel sleeve 3/4"OD with a 14mm or the closes 9/16 ID to fit your bottom bolt..
The original bushing on the 5125 will fit your top mount no problem..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is the vise neccessary to get the bushings and sleeves in or is this overkill? Is there an alternate route besides going out and finding someone with a vise?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is the vise neccessary to get the bushings and sleeves in or is this overkill? Is there an alternate route besides going out and finding someone with a vise?
You can use a piece of 1/2" All Thread, 6" long or so, and some fender washers on each side, you'll need a couple of nuts too..
If you can find a long bolt, that can work too, that has enough thread on it to press the bushing in as well..

Either way, if you use All Thread, it goes, Nut, Washer, Shock Eye, Bushing, Washer and Nut, then spin the Nut to press in the bushing..

If you use a Bolt, Washer, Shock Eye, Bushing, Washer and Nut, then spin the nut to press in the bushing..

If the bushing is longer than the shock eye, use a socket with the same size opening as the shock eye, put the socket in between the 1st washer and the shock eye with open side of socket towards shock eye, that way your bushing slips through the eye..
Good Luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can use a piece of 1/2" All Thread, 6" long or so, and some fender washers on each side, you'll need a couple of nuts too..
If you can find a long bolt, that can work too, that has enough thread on it to press the bushing in as well..

Either way, if you use All Thread, it goes, Nut, Washer, Shock Eye, Bushing, Washer and Nut, then spin the Nut to press in the bushing..

If you use a Bolt, Washer, Shock Eye, Bushing, Washer and Nut, then spin the nut to press in the bushing..
Good Luck
That is a pretty good idea! Thanks dude. I'll try that after I finish watching Game of Thrones.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is a pretty good idea! Thanks dude. I'll try that after I finish watching Game of Thrones.
If the bushing is longer than the shock eye, use a socket that is the same size as the shock eye to allow the bushing to pass through..
So when you build it, put the socket between the 1st washer and shock eye, open side of socket towards eye..
That's how I did my 5125's..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Necromancing this thread to add a little more information for the guys looking to run Bilstein 5125's. We're coming up on hard times finding 5100's in the aftermarket and 5125's are a viable option with a little more availability. An alternative to what's already been mentioned for adapting the lower shock mount to be correct on Nissan Frontier and Xterra applications is to use the following partnumbers:

1x Energy Suspension 9.8108G Bushings, Pair
2x Bilstein E4R01Z008C58 Sleeve, Individual

The Energy bushings are hourglass poly bushings with a 3/4" ID and a 1.45" length. The 5125 lower bushing can be pressed out and this poly bushing pressed into it's place.
The Bilstein steel sleeve has a 3/4" OD, 14mm ID, and is 1.33" in length. It's a little short but should work fine as the ears of the lower shock mount should clamp to it.

Another option would be the following -

2x Fox 213-28-001-B, Bushing
2x Fox 014-11-020 Sleeve, Individual

The Fox bushings are hourglass poly bushings with a 3/4" ID and a 1.490" length
The Fox steel sleeve has a 3/4" OD, 14mm ID, and is 1.675" in length.

The combination of Fox parts is closer to factory measurements but the parts are more expensive than the Bilstein / Energy combination. I have not verified in-hand that the Fox pieces work but I do have the Bilstein / Energy combo in the shop and everything appears to be gravy as long as the shortness of the Bilstein steel sleeve doesn't cause a problem. We'll see if we can get a test fit installed to verify with certainty in real world. The Fox components look gtg on paper; take a swing at your own risk until we can get the parts in shop to verify.

The question is - is it better to have a sightly shorter sleeve than the bushing where the ears of the shock mount can clamp and compress or is it better to have a longer sleeve which protrudes from the bushing?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Hey guys,
Need some advice on installing a set of 5125s on the rear of my '05. Got a mini-lift from PRG installed but I already had these blistiens so I didn't order the complete kit from Greg.
Anyway I'm trying to install them, but the ends don't seem quite right; I can get them on and the bolts through them(without the blistien sleeves), but there seems to be some play in them, esp. on the bottom. I noticed at the PRG site they mention they modify the ends to make them fit the Frontier better, but I have no idea what that means.
Any ideas on what I should do, if anything?
Thanks!
Did you buy the 5125’s from Greg?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Necromancing this thread to add a little more information for the guys looking to run Bilstein 5125's. We're coming up on hard times finding 5100's in the aftermarket and 5125's are a viable option with a little more availability. An alternative to what's already been mentioned for adapting the lower shock mount to be correct on Nissan Frontier and Xterra applications is to use the following partnumbers:

The Energy bushings are hourglass poly bushings with a 3/4" ID and a 1.45" length. The 5125 lower bushing can be pressed out and this poly bushing pressed into it's place.
The Bilstein steel sleeve has a 3/4" OD, 14mm ID, and is 1.33" in length. It's a little short but should work fine as the ears of the lower shock mount should clamp to it.

The combination of Fox parts is closer to factory measurements but the parts are more expensive than the Bilstein / Energy combination. I have not verified in-hand that the Fox pieces work but I do have the Bilstein / Energy combo in the shop and everything appears to be gravy as long as the shortness of the Bilstein steel sleeve doesn't cause a problem. We'll see if we can get a test fit installed to verify with certainty in real world. The Fox components look gtg on paper; take a swing at your own risk until we can get the parts in shop to verify.

The question is - is it better to have a sightly shorter sleeve than the bushing where the ears of the shock mount can clamp and compress or is it better to have a longer sleeve which protrudes from the bushing?
What's causing the shortage? Any end to the shortage in sight?

Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What's causing the shortage? Any end to the shortage in sight?

Thank you for the info.
I think we're experiencing a supply bottleneck from the earlier shutdowns / reduction in manufacturing capacity from covid. From what our distributor reps have told us, things should catch back up in September. We'll do everything we can to keep parts on the shelf so this doesn't affect end users.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Have you had a chance to install either the Bilstein/Energy Suspension or the Fox ones? Very curious to get some feedback on how they work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts